Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

want a carbon fiber bike, but nervous

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

want a carbon fiber bike, but nervous

Old 04-08-21, 11:37 AM
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
I joined this forum in 2003 and this topic came up a lot back then. Surprised to see it keep going. Don't fear OP it's time tested and proven by now.
Likes For jfmckenna:
Old 04-08-21, 12:01 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
If the only carbon fiber bike you can afford is a no-name chinese frame, I would go aluminum or steel from a known manufacturer.

You said you aren't racing and riding for fitness so a little weight saving isn't really important. If you are putting out x effort for a given amount of time, you're getting just as much benefit whether the bike was 15 pounds or 30. You'll just go faster and farther on the lighter bike.
Old 04-08-21, 12:32 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by motopokep
i tried posting a few links, but I have under 10 posts, so the forum is not letting me. google "carbon fiber bike lawsuits"...there's an Outpost article. Youtube "carbon fiber bike failure".
Try google "alien abduction" or QAnon.

I've ridden my 2015 road carbon frame with carbon bars and carbon wheels for 24,000 miles and not a single problem. I also have a carbon fiber cyclocross bike that I ride in the winter and put 6000 miles on it on some pretty rough terrain.

Never worried about either of them assploding.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 04-08-21, 12:36 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Careful - carbon will assplode eventually.

Seriously though carbon frames are more readily repairable than aluminum ones are. I'd venture to say than even steel ones are now as there are way more people doing carbon repairs than steel frame repairs anymore (it seems. I am sure someone will tell me I am wrong. It's kind of why I come here. So tired of always being right all the time IRL )

Incorrect
Likes For growlerdinky:
Old 04-08-21, 12:39 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,850 Times in 6,067 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Try google "alien abduction" or QAnon.

I've ridden my 2015 road carbon frame with carbon bars and carbon wheels for 24,000 miles and not a single problem. I also have a carbon fiber cyclocross bike that I ride in the winter and put 6000 miles on it on some pretty rough terrain.

Never worried about either of them assploding.
That's the wonder of the internet. Google anything you're worried about, and you can find a number of people telling you not only are you right to worry about it, but here are 10 things that are EVEN WORSE!!!!!! Back in the pre-internet days, you were stuck having to imagine your own potential catastrophes. Now you can get them piped into your home.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-08-21, 12:50 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
That's the wonder of the internet. Google anything you're worried about, and you can find a number of people telling you not only are you right to worry about it, but here are 10 things that are EVEN WORSE!!!!!! Back in the pre-internet days, you were stuck having to imagine your own potential catastrophes. Now you can get them piped into your home.
Google is indeed a man's best and worst friend at the same time. Last time I had a headache I googled my symptoms and it told me I had a brain cancer. Well, that escalated quickly!
Likes For eduskator:
Old 04-08-21, 12:55 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,850 Times in 6,067 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Google is indeed a man's best and worst friend at the same time. Last time I had a headache I googled my symptoms and it told me I had a brain cancer. Well, that escalated quickly!
Used to be you needed to be a med student, or at least own a medical dictionary to have med student's disease.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-08-21, 07:49 PM
jfranci3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
If it makes you feel better, AL bikes are just as delicate as CF bikes. They make MTBs out of CF... it's fine.

If it makes you feel better 2, higher end AL bikes are just as good as CF these days. The 105 level AL frames are the same weight as the lower end CF bikes.
Old 04-08-21, 08:20 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,003 Posts
Looking to buy my first road bike. Been riding an aluminum hybrid for 15 years, time to go lighter and sportier. I'm choosing between aluminum and carbon fiber. Carbon is 10 pounds lighter in weight, but after reading about all of the horror injuries coupled with the fact that I'm looking to go fast on this bike, I'm nervous about riding carbon fiber. I'm looking for a piece of mind that it won't implode under me at 15 mph. I'm looking to race only against myself and for fitness, so maybe the advantage of lighter and faster carbon fiber, for my purposes, doesn't outweigh the risks. I don't want to spend the time inspecting the carbon fiber frame for hairline-size damage. I want this bike to last me as long as possible. My current hybrid aluminum served me well for 15 years, with some grass hill riding and jumping curbs. That's why I'm leaning toward aluminum. An ultra-light carbon fiber bike sounds lucrative, but safety and longevity are my goals. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Boeing 777 wings which extend out from the fuselage over 200 ft are made from carbon fiber, I am pretty sure you will be safe on a CF frame.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 04-08-21, 08:25 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by jfranci3
If it makes you feel better 2, higher end AL bikes are just as good as CF these days. The 105 level AL frames are the same weight as the lower end CF bikes.

Yep, my Trek Emonda ALR complete with pedals and bottle cages weighs just a tad over 16 lbs.

Old 04-08-21, 11:49 PM
motopokep
Banned

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts

Last edited by motopokep; 04-13-21 at 08:29 AM.
Likes For motopokep:
Old 04-09-21, 12:10 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Boeing 777 wings which extend out from the fuselage over 200 ft are made from carbon fiber, I am pretty sure you will be safe on a CF frame.
I don't think "Boeing uses it" is going to convince many people something is safe. 😉
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 04-09-21, 12:15 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I wouldn't buy a no name (meaning unknown quality control) carbon bike. I think CF is a great material to make bikes out of. My frame, handlebars, stem, fork, steering tube, seat post, saddle, and wheels are carbon fiber. I personally wouldn't buy another metal bike. But I wouldn't ride a low cost carbon bike of unknown integrity either. A lot of people are more daring than I am and seem to do ok.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 04-09-21, 01:10 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by sarhog
All these horror stories?? Where do I find all these?
In urban legends from 2001
Likes For Camilo:
Old 04-09-21, 02:14 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Carbon isn't all about weight. It's ridiculously strong; most carbon frames are more durable than any half-decent aluminium frame (cheap ones will be built like tanks). You have to go pretty damn light with carbon before it's as fragile as a nice aluminium frame, like 600g.

But the really special thing about carbon is the fact it's a bunch of fibres which can be more or less optimally oriented for a trade-off between stiffness, comfort and handling that is completely impossible with any other material in a diamond frame (although beam bikes, banned by the UCI, are another story).

Having said that, if you got a compact aluminium frame showing a long and light carbon seatpost, you'd get a pretty good stiffness to comfort ratio. The double diamond sucks for vertical compliance, and the UCI needs to GTFO.
Old 04-09-21, 02:34 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Looking to buy my first road bike. Been riding an aluminum hybrid for 15 years, time to go lighter and sportier. I'm choosing between aluminum and carbon fiber. Carbon is 10 pounds lighter in weight, but after reading about all of the horror injuries coupled with the fact that I'm looking to go fast on this bike, I'm nervous about riding carbon fiber. I'm looking for a piece of mind that it won't implode under me at 15 mph. I'm looking to race only against myself and for fitness, so maybe the advantage of lighter and faster carbon fiber, for my purposes, doesn't outweigh the risks. I don't want to spend the time inspecting the carbon fiber frame for hairline-size damage. I want this bike to last me as long as possible. My current hybrid aluminum served me well for 15 years, with some grass hill riding and jumping curbs. That's why I'm leaning toward aluminum. An ultra-light carbon fiber bike sounds lucrative, but safety and longevity are my goals. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
There is nothing to correct as you are right on almost all points.
Stay away from carbon at all costs and you will have a long and happy cycling life and BF career.
Check out all of the online articles about how many times each week professional cyclists have to replace their carbon frames because once they drop them or slightly damage them they immediately become prone to catastrophic failures.
Old 04-09-21, 09:00 AM
motopokep
Banned

Last edited by motopokep; 04-13-21 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-09-21, 09:17 AM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
I can't wait to get past 10 posts so I can send you guys some links, including what seems like real stories, from another bike forum. The more I read these, the more I'm leaning toward an aluminum bike. I'll share these stories and have you guys rethink your CF bikes. I just read a story on another bike forum of a member dying after his Orbea CF frame separated for no reason. Don't get me wrong, I really want a CF bike, I've read about all the advantages.

Great. Can't wait either. I suggest that for each story story that involves death and/or disfigurement due to sudden carbon implosion syndrome, you also post a story about somebody who has enjoyed thousands and thousands and thousands of trouble free miles on their carbon bike. I will start.

In 2014 I bought a giant TCR. I don't ride huge miles, but I've been over 220 lbs for nearly the entirety of time since then. I have logged 21,336 miles in that time span, 13,466 of them on the TCR. Like I said, I don't log huge miles, but I am big and heavy and I absolutely ride the snot out of that bike. I love it. I hope it doesn't kill me.
Likes For growlerdinky:
Old 04-09-21, 10:09 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
I can't wait to get past 10 posts so I can send you guys some links, including what seems like real stories, from another bike forum. The more I read these, the more I'm leaning toward an aluminum bike. I'll share these stories and have you guys rethink your CF bikes. I just read a story on another bike forum of a member dying after his Orbea CF frame separated for no reason. Don't get me wrong, I really want a CF bike, I've read about all the advantages.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 04-09-21, 10:16 AM
motopokep
Banned

Last edited by motopokep; 04-13-21 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-09-21, 10:16 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,729 Times in 2,756 Posts
My oh my.

Aluminum only for you. Aluminum wheels, and I'm not real sure what you'll do for a front fork.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 04-09-21, 10:17 AM
big john

Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,991 Times in 4,452 Posts
We've all seen the stuff you are referring to,, we don't need to see it again. If you are afraid of cf, get an all metal bike. It's pointless to come to this forum and try and convince people their bikes are unsafe.
Likes For big john:
Old 04-09-21, 10:20 AM
big john

Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,991 Times in 4,452 Posts
There's like a 100-post thread on another bike forum, from the time one of their riders went down, throughout his ICU unit hospitalization.....to his death.
Please don't link that stuff here or post gruesome pictures.
Likes For big john:
Old 04-09-21, 10:20 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,729 Times in 2,756 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
We've all seen the stuff you are referring to,, we don't need to see it again. If you are afraid of cf, get an all metal bike. It's pointless to come to this forum and try and convince people their bikes are unsafe.
Correct.
Old 04-09-21, 10:48 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I also read quite a few horror stories online and saw some videos, and read articles, and wondered if they're true or not. That's why I came on here. Got no one else to ask.
I have no idea if the stories you refer to are true or not, but if you honestly suspect that a carbon bike is more likely to result in serious injury or death, why on earth would you consider buying one?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.