Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help Let me know what frame you think this is. SOLVED!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Help Let me know what frame you think this is. SOLVED!

Old 04-04-21, 12:15 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,031 Times in 1,245 Posts
That's how I feel. I spend most of my online time avoiding videos, life pasts by too fast already.
I understand you're trying to make a video based website but I think an explanation in text is best suited for the forum.
Old 04-04-21, 02:33 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Continuation of this thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...you-think.html

I wouldn't ride him so hard for this. Original thread title really didn't say much about Mark, and it is genuinely interesting history.

-Kurt

Old 04-04-21, 03:29 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Well, it's partially solved in that Marinoni has been confirmed as the source. However, Mount states Marinoini only built them for one year, either 1978 or 1979, but the subject frame has a 1981 serial number. Mount's frame uses a different shell and the 'M' cutout has the traditional orientation, suggesting the two frames are at least different production lots. It would be interesting to know the serial number on his frame. I didn't notice it in the video.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 04-04-21, 06:50 PM
jjhabbs 

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Was there not a thread on this already active?
or is this a campaign for video views?
I do make videos for people to watch. That is correct. However, many people here have many threads. I don't monetize my videos so it's not like I'm trying to generate income.

God Bless.

JJ
Old 04-04-21, 06:52 PM
jjhabbs 

Originally Posted by cudak888
Continuation of this thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...you-think.html

I wouldn't ride him so hard for this. Original thread title really didn't say much about Mark, and it is genuinely interesting history.

-Kurt
I should have continued with the story. However there might be more to it. The owner of the frameset is well acquainted with Mark Gorski's family and is going to try to get a hold of Mark to see if he would either like to get his bicycle back or if he had any more information on it.

JJ.
Old 04-04-21, 06:55 PM
jjhabbs 

Originally Posted by T-Mar
Well, it's partially solved in that Marinoni has been confirmed as the source. However, Mount states Marinoini only built them for one year, either 1978 or 1979, but the subject frame has a 1981 serial number. Mount's frame uses a different shell and the 'M' cutout has the traditional orientation, suggesting the two frames are at least different production lots. It would be interesting to know the serial number on his frame. I didn't notice it in the video.
You might be onto something T-Mar. Mount's frame had a Cinelli BB shell with the same M cut out of it. The head lugs on mine are cut differently also. Mount told me in an email that Albert Eisentraut also made frames for the team as well...

The story continues?

JJ
Old 04-04-21, 06:58 PM
jjhabbs 

Originally Posted by iab
I have a question. After spending time and effort to determine what it was, why would you do anything other than make it what it was?
Possibly three things might happen with this bicycle. First, Repaint to Silver with AMF decals (that have to be fabricated) Second, Mark Gorski is being contacted to see if he would like his old frame back, Third, repaint with Marinoni decals. Well possibly a fourth. Greg may sell it.

We'll see what happens. It belongs to my friend Greg. He's in charge.

J.J.
Old 04-04-21, 08:02 PM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked 3,710 Times in 1,393 Posts
Originally Posted by jjhabbs
Possibly three things might happen with this bicycle. First, Repaint to Silver with AMF decals (that have to be fabricated) Second, Mark Gorski is being contacted to see if he would like his old frame back, Third, repaint with Marinoni decals. Well possibly a fourth. Greg may sell it.

J.J.
I'm sorry, I didn't watch the videos. What was it before what is now? Was it silver? What were the original decals? And again, why would you do anything other than make it like it was? Yes, I understand you can give it away or sell as is. But that's not the question you asked.
Old 04-04-21, 08:19 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 653 Posts
Matt Gorski

jjhabbs

I think that you are talking about MATT Gorski not MARK Gorski.

Matt Giorski is well known and highly respected in the SoCal classic bike scene.

verktyg :60:

Chas. ;-)

Likes For verktyg:
Old 04-04-21, 08:30 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by verktyg

Matt Giorski is well known and highly respected in the SoCal classic bike scene.

Don't know where this is going, but to see who's who at Azusa's Zoo.

-Kurt

Old 04-05-21, 07:07 AM
T-Mar

You might be onto something T-Mar. Mount's frame had a Cinelli BB shell with the same M cut out of it. The head lugs on mine are cut differently also. Mount told me in an email that Albert Eisentraut also made frames for the team as well...

The story continues?

JJ
I just think that either Mount got his dates or wrong or Marinoni made them for more that one year.

Last edited by T-Mar; 04-05-21 at 08:23 AM. Reason: changed Gorski to Mount, D'Oh!
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 04-05-21, 07:16 AM
T-Mar

J.J.
A repaint and new decals would be a no-brainer for me because the first thing required would be to remove the touring amenities (rear rack eyelets, lo-rider rack eyelets, bottle boss eyelets under the down tube) and plug the holes.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 04-05-21, 07:42 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by T-Mar
A repaint and new decals would be a no-brainer for me because the first thing required would be to remove the touring amenities (rear rack eyelets, lo-rider rack eyelets, bottle boss eyelets under the down tube) and plug the holes.
Do we know for sure that these weren't subtle features added to the frame by Marinoni on request?

The subtilty of those rack eyelets suggests to me a build where someone wanted to hide the "potential touring" aspect of this frame, and thus seemed as if they may be original. Not to mention it would have been a bear to cut those two holes from the inside with the seatstays on - unless the whole tube was drilled and then re-capped on the outside edge.

-Kurt

Old 04-05-21, 09:13 AM
jjhabbs 

Originally Posted by cudak888
Do we know for sure that these weren't subtle features added to the frame by Marinoni on request?

The subtilty of those rack eyelets suggests to me a build where someone wanted to hide the "potential touring" aspect of this frame, and thus seemed as if they may be original. Not to mention it would have been a bear to cut those two holes from the inside with the seatstays on - unless the whole tube was drilled and then re-capped on the outside edge.

-Kurt
The current owner of the frameset said he added the rack, low rider and bottle braze ons when he had it painted in the 80s.

JJ
Old 04-05-21, 09:14 AM
jjhabbs 

Originally Posted by verktyg
jjhabbs

verktyg :60:
The bike was from Mark Gorski. Olympic Gold medalist.

Thanks

J.J.
Old 04-05-21, 03:14 PM
MauriceMoss

Bikes: None in ridable condition

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
Second question: who made this (IC?) BB shell? Never seen that mark on a shell before but looks to be cast-in. Did Marinoni have a "special connection" to an Italian mfgr.?
The logo on that shell is of a company called Chierici (of Parma). They sold bikes under the Maurizio (and Mauro) brand and I've seen only a handful of bikes under the Chierici name (all from the 80s). I think the company is still in business.

It's not a very commonly used shell but not rare one, either. There were ones with the full name ("Chierici") and others with only the logo cast in them (more common).
I've seen these on bikes labeled Patelli, Tommasini, Charly (Marseilles), Rossi (Povolaro), Krapf (made by Losa), Melchioretto, even a Marastoni, among others. The interesting bit here is that this is the first time I've seen a Chierici shell used on a bike not made in Italy.

Likes For MauriceMoss:
Old 04-05-21, 03:19 PM
MauriceMoss

jjhabbs It would be great to hear what Marinoni has on this frame in their build sheets (as T-Mar has suggested). I too have seen many examples online where Marinoni staff were very helpful in providing information about their frames.
Likes For MauriceMoss:
Old 04-05-21, 05:55 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 769 Posts
Excellent work on the BB shell identity (as usual)MauriceMoss ! Welcome back, we had not heard from you for awhile!
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 04-05-21, 07:35 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
Merged together both threads about this wonderful bike.

Old 04-05-21, 09:57 PM
jjhabbs 

Originally Posted by MauriceMoss
jjhabbs It would be great to hear what Marinoni has on this frame in their build sheets (as T-Mar has suggested). I too have seen many examples online where Marinoni staff were very helpful in providing information about their frames.
I agree. The plot keeps getting thicker! I just Emailed Marinoni with details. Im waiting to hear back.

Lets see what they have to say.

JJ
Old 04-06-21, 08:30 PM
jjhabbs 

I heard back from Marinoni. I emailed them and they confirmed that it's one of theirs however they also said it was from 1981!

Just an FYI

Thanks

JJ
Old 04-10-21, 06:01 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 653 Posts
Gorski

The bike was from Mark Gorski. Olympic Gold medalist.
Thanks
J.J.
Thanks for clearing up that "mystery".

US Olympic Team member and Pro Cyclist George Mount was a SF Bay Area cycling fixture for many years. He was also somewhat active in the local Classic Rendezvous group and as such knows Matt Gorski a well known classic bike collector from SoCal.

A number of years back, Peter Rich, owner of Velo Sport in Berkeley CA had a black and peacock Marinoni frame on display for some time. It was my size and when I finally went in to pop for it, the frame was gone.

I mention this because George mount had a close connection with Peter Rich and Velo Sport. I don't know how long Peter Rich was involved with Marinoni but many connections in cycling aren't what they appear to be on the surface.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 04-11-21 at 04:42 PM.
Likes For verktyg:
Old 04-10-21, 07:29 AM
T-Mar

I heard back from Marinoni. I emailed them and they confirmed that it's one of theirs however they also said it was from 1981!

Just an FYI

Thanks

JJ
That confirms what we already knew but doesn't resolve Mount's statement. Either he got his 1977-1978 dates wrong or contrary to his statement, Marinoni built frames for AMF for more than one year. The S/N on Mount's frame should provide the answer. Unfortunately, the S/N wasn't visible in the photos.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 04-11-21, 04:53 AM
MauriceMoss

Originally Posted by unworthy1
Excellent work on the BB shell identity (as usual)MauriceMoss ! Welcome back, we had not heard from you for awhile!
Thanks, unworthy1! Life has a habit of getting in the way of fun stuff. But, I'm glad to be back .
Likes For MauriceMoss: