Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Experienced Cyclists Make Better Drivers

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-20, 10:22 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,602 Times in 2,907 Posts

Have fewer accidents and tickets than your friends and relatives? Well duh. I haven’t had an accident since 1977 and that was on black ice.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlton...h=2c0ef4596f6c

https://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/...rding-science/

should we hit up our auto auto insurers for discounts?

Old 11-04-20, 10:32 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I think my bicyclist paranoia reflexes saved me and my family (including mother and pregnant wife and then 2 year old) from a deadly head-on collision. I instinctively look for exit strategies and escape routes when I am riding or driving. I wound up on some hapless woman's garden when I got off the road just in time to avoid getting hit at high velocity by an intoxicated speeding driver. I doubt I would have done that without the bicyclist death evasion skill-set.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 11-04-20, 11:52 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
When I'm driving, I'm always consciously trying to keep a little close to the centerline, watching for cyclists and/or pedestrians.
Likes For rollagain:
Old 11-04-20, 11:58 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I find myself drafting vehicles in front...
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 11-05-20, 12:29 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I practice Bicycular Driving by Taking The Lane.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 11-05-20, 05:16 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 330 Posts
Effective Motoring

Motorists fare best when they are trained as cyclists or motorcyclists.
Old 11-05-20, 06:56 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
It could also be the other way around. Or somewhere in balance between the two, like "thoughtful vehicle operators are thoughtful on any vehicle" ... correlation vs causality, yada yada.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 11-05-20, 07:02 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
It could also be the other way around. Or somewhere in balance between the two, like "thoughtful vehicle operators are thoughtful on any vehicle" ... correlation vs causality, yada yada.
I'm going to agree with this one ^. Thoughtful, alert and well trained drivers are among the best drivers. The other factor is likely innate spatial and hand-eye coordination abilities.

I'm also going to agree that being an experienced road cyclist (if you are already a thoughtful, alert and capable driver) will make you a better driver when sharing the road with bicycle riders.
Old 11-05-20, 07:39 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Have fewer accidents and tickets than your friends and relatives? Well duh. I haven’t had an accident since 1977 and that was on black ice.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlton...h=2c0ef4596f6c

https://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/...rding-science/

should we hit up our auto auto insurers for discounts?
"Hit up" your insurance company with the information cited in your posted URL's and good luck with getting a discount based on that information and your enthusiasm for bicycling. The only auto insurance broker mentioned in the Forbes article is Chris Knott Insurance located in the UK. Nothing is mentioned on that company's web site about a discount for bicyclists but there is for being a member of a car club or car forum. Maybe you can try hitting up your insurance company for a discount if you are a member of a car club.

Chris Knott Car Insurance
The right choice for car owners club/forum members
If you're looking for competitive car insurance, Chris Knott can help - especially if you are a member of one of the UK's car owners clubs or forums.
In fact, we love car club members because car enthusiasts look after their cars and are generally better drivers.
So, if you'd like a quote from a company that actually rewards you for careful driving and recognises the time and attention you spend on your car, give Chris Knott Car Insurance a call.
Car insurance Discounts
You probably will have better luck getting a discount if you can cite low annual mileage readings on your car's odometer, regardless if it was due to bicycling or any other reason for reducing your car's annual mileage.
Old 11-05-20, 07:41 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
experienced people make better drivers
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 11-05-20, 07:51 AM
squeakyschwinn

Bikes: 1983 Schwinn Traveler; 2013 Fuji Roubaix 3.0 LE

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I have found that training from my motorcycle license has been helpful. Especially the rule of "assume no one sees you".
Likes For squeakyschwinn:
Old 11-05-20, 07:54 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Having to be constantly on alert when you're on a bike transfer over to being in a car as well, and that alone makes you a better driver.
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 11-05-20, 08:05 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Having to be constantly on alert when you're on a bike transfer over to being in a car as well, and that alone makes you a better driver.
I disagree.

On a bike you know you're very vulnerable so you have a heightened situational awareness. In a car you're encased in 3500# of metal and cruising along listening to the radio and talking on the phone.

But when I see cyclists, I swing wide to the left to give them plenty of room. And/or a "friendly" toot of the horn to let them know i'm behind them.
Old 11-05-20, 08:08 AM
Vismund B

Bikes: An old Panasonic Sport

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
I ride my bicycle so much that when I rarely drive my car these days I tell myself “ok don’t forget you’re driving a car today”
Old 11-05-20, 08:16 AM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by GlennR
I disagree.

On a bike you know you're very vulnerable so you have a heightened situational awareness. In a car you're encased in 3500# of metal and cruising along listening to the radio and talking on the phone.

But when I see cyclists, I swing wide to the left to give them plenty of room. And/or a "friendly" toot of the horn to let them know i'm behind them.
Having to be constantly on alert when I'm on a bike transfer over to being in a car as well, and that alone makes me a better driver.
Fixed it.
Old 11-05-20, 08:45 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Fixed it.
Do you use your phone when in the car? Even with hands free, its still distracted driving.

Everyone "thinks" they're the best driver. Just ask my 88 year old mom.

What does you family think? Does your wife reach for the phantom brake pedal?
Old 11-05-20, 09:05 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Do you use your phone when in the car? Even with hands free, its still distracted driving.

Everybody who thinks they are a better driver, for whatever reason, should "hit up" their insurance agent for discounts, maybe some agents will be persuaded by the self praise to offer a discount on their car insurance rates.
Old 11-05-20, 09:09 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9652 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike

You probably will have better luck getting a discount if you can cite low annual mileage readings on your car's odometer, regardless if it was due to bicycling or any other reason for reducing your car's annual mileage.
This makes a huge difference. As does telling the insurer that you will use the car to go to and from work as opposed to just pleasure use.

About 5 years ago I was talking to a neighbor who was a higher level guy with one of the name brand insurers (the company I use). I asked him why the cost of coverage for my 911 was higher than one of our cars that cost half as much, and his response was that owners of high end cars are rated better because they are more likely to be more careful when they drive in order to avoid damage to the car. Often thought that was interesting when I was out for a "spirited" drive.
Old 11-05-20, 09:12 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Everybody who thinks they are a better driver, for whatever reason, should "hit up" their insurance agent for discounts, maybe some agents will be persuaded by the self praise to offer a discount on their car insurance rates.
Just don't try it if your policy is bundled with some life insurance.
Old 11-05-20, 09:12 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9652 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts

Lol! The answer is yes. Until a year ago, I drove a 3,000 lb sports car with very good carbon/ceramic brakes. She was always hitting the phantom brake as we approached stop signs. She never could understand how that thing stopped in much shorter distances than her SUV. If I had braked like she expected, we would have stopped 50 yards short of the intersection.
Old 11-05-20, 09:35 AM
mcours2006

I do not use my phone when in the car. When driving I am focused on the road, scanning constantly for hazards in front of me and monitoring traffic behind and beside me--exactly what I do on my bike. I don't know what you do and I can't speak for everyone else here, hence why I 'fixed' my original comment.

Yes, everyone thinks he/she is a good driver, and everyone thinks that everyone else is a bad one. But there are actually good drivers out there.
Old 11-05-20, 09:37 AM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 109 Posts
I haven't ridden a motorcycle in years, but I have the impression that some of my training and experience from that still influences my automobile driving.

I think the one I notice the most is the "left turning car" warning that goes off in my head when I see an oncoming vehicle where the driver appears to want to make a left turn.
Likes For John Valuk:
Old 11-05-20, 09:54 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I disagree.

You honk at cyclists??
Old 11-05-20, 10:00 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by woodcraft
You honk at cyclists??
I "toot" and a good distance back if i feel it's needed... like if the rider is not holding a line.

I DO NOT sneak up and blast my horn. I might be a dick on the interweb but, i'm not one when it comes to safety.

There's a HUGE difference between a toot and honking.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 11-05-20, 10:25 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,602 Times in 2,907 Posts
For several years I rode with a club and of course, pace lines were a big part of every ride. I apply the same principles to driving. Don’t do anything quick or unexpected. When slowing, slow gradually. Always look far ahead regardless of who is ahead of you to better anticipate potential issues. Signal to others hazards so they can react appropriately ( in my vehicles, when I see stopped traffic ahead on a two lane highway going I will momentarily use my emergency flashers <like Europeans do> to alert others I will be coming to a full stop). I don’t tailgate so that if I need to stop quickly, the inattentive car in back doesn’t pile into me (yeah, I know pace lines suck wheels but I also know who I am riding with). I try to be courteous and defensive even when driving rather spiritedly in my sports car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.