Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Fixing free hub

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Fixing free hub

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-21, 11:52 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
Fixing free hub

I somehow managed to strip the threads on a Shimano compatible, Campagnolo free hub, I had ordered a replacement, they are not cheap, but it was lost in the shipping process. Before re-ordering, I decided to try to work on the threads of the original free hub. I cleaned out the threads with a pick and then a rag, got the lock ring barely started in the threads, then, using a lock ring tool, I slowly and carefully started to screw the ring into the free hub. Much to my pleasant surprise, it actually worked. I took the ring back off, put the free hub back on the wheel, mounted the cassette and the lock ring, and all is good.

I decided to go ahead and get the replacement free hub anyway as they were out of stock at many suppliers. Also, the one I have coming was at the lowest price I found. I will now have a back up. In the end, it all worked out.
Old 01-09-21, 12:05 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Just curious - do you have a theory on the cause of the near stripping out of the lockring threads on the freehub body (when it was originally damaged)?
Old 01-09-21, 12:22 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
Just curious - do you have a theory on the cause of the near stripping out of the lockring threads on the freehub body (when it was originally damaged)?
I believe I just was not focused on what I was doing and got the lock ring started crooked. Once it got hung up, I forced it a bit, then backed it off and saw the metal shavings and the messed up threads. I actually took it to my LBS this morning to get an opinion on retapping it. The mechanic took a look at it and told me he thought it might work if I did the procedure as I stated above, I had nothing to lose and gave it a shot. It worked and I hope I have no need to remove the lock ring any time soon.

Added: I just got back from a 20 mile ride on my Soma Smoothie with the above wheel set, Zonda. All is good, lock ring is keeping it all in place. First time on my Smoothie in about 6 weeks. It always puts a big grin on my face. I have grown very fond of riding this bike.

Last edited by delbiker1; 01-09-21 at 03:58 PM. Reason: add more info
Likes For delbiker1: