Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Novice concerned about freewheel not engaging randomly.

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-21, 07:49 PM
5 mph

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts

I have an ACS Paws 16 T freewheel on my Bianchi Pista.
I went out for a ride and in the beginning, the freewheel didn't engage randomly. quite frequently .
I thought about turning around but I was excited about riding.
A 1/4 mile later, it started getting better. For 20 miles it was okay. I thought the problem was solved., it was probably a lube thing
and it was maybe 20 degrees in the garage last night)
Then the last 1/4 mile before I got home, it happened again. Nice and warm..
The other thing is at times in the past few months it makes a clanking noise. I always thought it was the slack in my chain, but now I'm thinking
its been my freewheel all along.
How do I get it off if it needs to be replaced? I see eight notches and the tools I see are 4 notches.
I was told that the ACS Crossfire and ACS Paws freewheels use a different tool and I don't want to order the wrong one.

Last edited by 5 mph; 01-23-21 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-23-21, 08:14 PM
Supercardplayer

Bikes: 2006 felt f5c every thing but the frame upgraded to Ultegra hunt aero wide wheels I dose the job

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think you should use some degreaser and get the old grease out , Then put some light oil in it that should do the trick. When it is cold out grease and oil start to harden a bit ,causing the system in the freewheel to not work properly.
If all else fails then might consider a new one every thing doesn't last forever, good luck ride safe.
Old 01-23-21, 08:52 PM
Ymerej
FIXED GEAR

Bikes: 2019 tarmac pro disc 2020 allez sprint track

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
$22 or retro you kinda get what you pay for which in this case is dog ball $h!T. My philwood fixed cog and lock ring has zero and I mean zero issues mounted to philwood single fixed hub. Good luck with $20 parts
have fun😜
Old 01-24-21, 03:30 AM
Mikefule

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
8 notches/4 notches. Just asking: does your 4 notch tool fit 4 of those 8 notches? if so, it will work.

A freewheel is a very simple mechanism, and although they are normally perfectly reliable, the pawl can occasionally fail to engage either due to lack of lubrication, or due to some sort of grit/contamination getting in there.
Likes For Mikefule:
Old 01-24-21, 07:23 AM
franswa

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Ymerej
$22 or retro you kinda get what you pay for which in this case is dog ball $h!T. My philwood fixed cog and lock ring has zero and I mean zero issues mounted to philwood single fixed hub. Good luck with $20 parts
have fun😜
Fixed cog has no moving parts, hence the name, so I wouldn’t expect there to be any similar
issues the op is having
Likes For franswa:
Old 01-24-21, 11:28 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
The ACS "clunk" sound is typical, and is also heard on inexpensive Shimano FWs. When you replace it, look into Box or White Industries. Spendy, but better to buy once, cry once.

Get a local shop to remove the 8-notch ACS for you, then buy whatever tool fits the replacement (most likely 4-notch)..
Likes For Rolla:
Old 01-24-21, 02:01 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
I have two White Industries Freewheels and there is just no substitute for them. They are super high quality, rebuildable, smooth, round and will last for a long long time. If you like engagement or are a bigger rider you can get the Trials freewheel which has more points of engagement and a lovely sound. They also have a double freewheel meaning you have an extra gear you can manually move the chain to.

If you are only going to have one gear you might as well make that drivetrain the best you can.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-24-21, 05:58 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 mph
I have an ACS Paws 16 T freewheel on my Bianchi Pista.
I went out for a ride and in the beginning, the freewheel didn't engage randomly. quite frequently .
I thought about turning around but I was excited about riding.
A 1/4 mile later, it started getting better. For 20 miles it was okay. I thought the problem was solved., it was probably a lube thing
and it was maybe 20 degrees in the garage last night)
Then the last 1/4 mile before I got home, it happened again. Nice and warm..
The other thing is at times in the past few months it makes a clanking noise. I always thought it was the slack in my chain, but now I'm thinking
its been my freewheel all along.
How do I get it off if it needs to be replaced? I see eight notches and the tools I see are 4 notches.
I was told that the ACS Crossfire and ACS Paws freewheels use a different tool and I don't want to order the wrong one.
invest in a white industries freewheel and you will not have this problem.
Likes For jay4usc:
Old 01-24-21, 08:12 PM
5 mph

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by jay4usc
invest in a white industries freewheel and you will not have this problem.
I know. I've looked at them. I ride my Fixed Gear maybe 5 out of 7 days a week. I don't like geared bikes. I will think it over. Box One any good?
Old 01-24-21, 09:31 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I know. I've looked at them. I ride my Fixed Gear maybe 5 out of 7 days a week. I don't like geared bikes. I will think it over. Box One any good?
After years of using White Industries, I'm currently running a Box One 16T on my BMX cruiser and a Box One 17T on my SSCX. Lots of points of engagement, no clanking, and the teeth are showing good longevity so far. The White Industry ones are rebuildable, but replacement parts are nearly as expensive as a replacement unit. I give the nod to White Industries just in terms of overall refinement, but the Box Ones have so far proven themselves worthy.
Old 01-24-21, 09:36 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
not sure about Box but I would google reviews for it. I bought white industries bc of its long history as a reputable company. My previous cog was a Wabi deluxe freewheel which was their top of the line and it made a clicking noise (brand new). After receiving my refund I purchased the WI and runs smooth as butter. I ride about 125 miles a week.
Likes For jay4usc:
Old 01-24-21, 09:42 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
Box makes decent stuff but for me White Industries all the way. They are an excellent company, easy to work with, super friendly and they make really top notch components.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-27-21, 05:54 AM
FTB
Luke

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Box makes decent stuff but for me White Industries all the way. They are an excellent company, easy to work with, super friendly and they make really top notch components.
This. Great company with great products to boot
Likes For FTB: