Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New bike - extra charge for pedals?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-21, 11:08 AM
martin_nv

Bikes: Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just bought a new Giant Talon 2 at the local bike shop, and the sales guy asked if I wanted pedals with that. I was kind of surprised at this, but of course I wanted pedals so I said yes. Is this a common thing now, a new bike not coming with pedals?
Old 01-27-21, 11:09 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Yes.
Old 01-27-21, 11:17 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
Higher-end bikes don't come with pedals because different riders use different, non-compatible clipless solutions. Shimano, Look, Speedplay - they all use different cleats. When I get the next bike, I'll add pedals that "fit my ecosystem."
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 01-27-21, 11:17 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
this has been common for decades on anything above the most basic, low-end bikes. manufacturers don't include pedals because there are so many different kinds of pedals out there and every rider has a different preference. if they included cheap flat pedals with all their bikes, 99% of riders would immediately take them off and put on something different from Shimano, Crank Brothers, Speedplay, Look, etc. it would be a waste to include all those pedals.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 01-27-21, 11:40 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6971 Post(s)
Liked 10,967 Times in 4,692 Posts
Ahem.

The Giant webpage for this bike clearly pictures it with platform pedals, and the specs indicate the same.

The shop owes the OP a pair of pedals.
Old 01-27-21, 11:43 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by martin_nv
I just bought a new Giant Talon 2 at the local bike shop, and the sales guy asked if I wanted pedals with that. I was kind of surprised at this, but of course I wanted pedals so I said yes. Is this a common thing now, a new bike not coming with pedals?
According to the Giant website, the Talon 2 comes with a cheap platform pedal. Most people put their own pedals on though, depending on what sort of cleat system they use. Even those who go with platforms often use pedals with oversized platforms and pins for better grip.
Old 01-27-21, 11:44 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Ahem.

The Giant webpage for this bike clearly pictures it with platform pedals, and the specs indicate the same.

True, unless the shop just assumed OP would be using his own pedals. Even so, the shop should give him the stock pedals unless the customer tells the shop just to keep them.
Likes For MRT2:
Old 01-27-21, 11:52 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

I stand corrected in this case. with an entry-level bike like the Talon 2, it would normally come with pedals. the website clearly shows pedals and lists pedals among the bike's specifications.

it could be an honest mistake from a new employee who is used to selling more high-end bikes without pedals included, but that's a mistake that a bike shop should be allowed to make once. I would let the bike shop know that the price includes pedals per Giant, and offer the opportunity for them to make it right. if they insist on making your buy pedals separately, I'd not shop there at the very least, and tell Giant what they are doing if you have time and want to see that resolved for everyone else' sake.
Old 01-27-21, 12:05 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by mack_turtle
I stand corrected in this case. with an entry-level bike like the Talon 2, it would normally come with pedals. the website clearly shows pedals and lists pedals among the bike's specifications.

it could be an honest mistake from a new employee who is used to selling more high-end bikes without pedals included, but that's a mistake that a bike shop should be allowed to make once. I would let the bike shop know that the price includes pedals per Giant, and offer the opportunity for them to make it right. if they insist on making your buy pedals separately, I'd not shop there at the very least, and tell Giant what they are doing if you have time and want to see that resolved for everyone else' sake.
And if the shop doesn't have the pedals, ask for some store credit (cheapie platform pedals are worth about $20, I'd guess) to use towards some better pedals. But one way or another, that bike should come with pedals. Giant wouldn't appreciate a retailer selling its bike without a piece of spec'd equipment.
Old 01-27-21, 12:05 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Even in the case where pedals are not included, the shop almost certainly has a box of cheap platform pedal takeoffs and would likely be happy to throw in a pair for the asking for anyone buying a bike. Then the buyer can come to BF to ask what upgraded pedals they should get.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 01-27-21, 12:34 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I like the cheap platform pedals that sometimes come with bikes. They're good as take-offs for use in flips. I wouldn't want stock pedals for my own use. Meh...
Old 01-27-21, 12:46 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,930 Times in 2,555 Posts
Another reason to have those stock pedals - say you are spending a week in a resort place. Being able to put those on could be just the ticket for cruising town in your sandals. Swapping pedals takes about two minutes (as long and no grunts are allowed to tighten them).
Old 01-27-21, 12:48 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3147 Post(s)
Liked 1,711 Times in 1,033 Posts
I’d be surprised if a showroom bike didn’t come with pedals! I’d be surprised if a online bike didn’t come with pedals! The only case I wouldn’t be surprised in is a spec order, complete build from a custom/boutique builder. I’ve never bought a complete bike which cost more than $1.4k, and they’ve all come with pedals, whether shop or online.
Old 01-27-21, 12:49 PM
martin_nv

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the plethora of replies guys, I will re-visit the bike shop.
Old 01-27-21, 12:51 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Bikes frequently do not come with pedals and if they do come with pedals you don't want those pedals. Pedals and grips especially are touch points and something you want to tailor to your needs. Saddles generally would come later unless you have a saddle you already like but if not I recommend riding what came with it and seeing what you like and don't like about it and then going to the shop for suggestions.

The only reason to use the cheapie pedals that come on a bike is for a test ride beyond that get something that will work well for your foot size and needs. There are so many great pedals even some cheaper pedals that are acres better than whatever they toss in the box if they have tossed something in the box.
Old 01-27-21, 12:52 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Yeah, it's pretty common. Just take the generic platforms from the shop. If they work for you, great. I've got a couple sets of those cheap platforms knocking around in my spare parts bin and they work fine. As 79pmooney says, they're great for knocking around town if you don't want to deal with clipless.
Old 01-27-21, 12:53 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by chaadster
I’d be surprised if a showroom bike didn’t come with pedals! I’d be surprised if a online bike didn’t come with pedals! The only case I wouldn’t be surprised in is a spec order, complete build from a custom/boutique builder. I’ve never bought a complete bike which cost more than $1.4k, and they’ve all come with pedals, whether shop or online.
None of my bikes came with pedals, which -- as pointed out by several posters earlier in this thread -- is standard for nicer bikes.
Old 01-27-21, 01:02 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

It would seem particularly odd, to me, for a sub- $1k bike shop MTB, like the OP’s Talon, to come without pedals.
Old 01-27-21, 01:03 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Thanks for the plethora of replies guys, I will re-visit the bike shop.
Did they charge you for the pedals? What kind did you get?
Old 01-27-21, 02:56 PM
martin_nv

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Did they charge you for the pedals? What kind did you get?
Yes, they charged me $65 for OnUp Flat Pedals. They seem pretty good, but I'm not a pedal expert.
Old 01-27-21, 03:05 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

yeah, the one-up pedals are highly acclaimed for mtb use, but $65 USD is a bit high. are you in Canada?
you now have MUCH better pedals than what came with the bike, but the shop made a mistake/ lied to you if they said the Talon 2 does not come with pedals. they owe you some sort of credit for the upgrade because that means they did something else with the pedals that came with the bike. stock pedals are probably worth $15 USD.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 01-27-21, 03:44 PM
martin_nv

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
yeah, the one-up pedals are highly acclaimed for mtb use, but $65 USD is a bit high. are you in Canada?
you now have MUCH better pedals than what came with the bike, but the shop made a mistake/ lied to you if they said the Talon 2 does not come with pedals. they owe you some sort of credit for the upgrade because that means they did something else with the pedals that came with the bike. stock pedals are probably worth $15 USD.
Yes Canadian $ sorry. After further thought I probably would have upgraded the pedals anyway, but I will mention it next time I'm in there.
Old 01-27-21, 03:59 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Yes Canadian $ sorry. After further thought I probably would have upgraded the pedals anyway, but I will mention it next time I'm in there.
For extra fun you should have asked BF for pedal suggestions. It's about time for a good pedal fight

Likes For hillyman:
Old 01-27-21, 07:28 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
most don’t come with pedals
Old 01-27-21, 07:33 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Ahem.

Are the carbon pedals?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.