Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Moved from dumb trainer to smart trainer. Results are...

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Old 02-07-21, 10:35 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts

Contrary to what's continually claimed, I apparently put out more watts on my smart trainer than the zpower estimate.
Went from a Saris Fluid 2 dumv to a Tacx Flux S direct drive smart.

I use the cassette range more and am suddenly more powerful- what is not to love?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-08-21, 11:09 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Contrary to what's continually claimed, I apparently put out more watts on my smart trainer than the zpower estimate.
Went from a Saris Fluid 2 dumv to a Tacx Flux S direct drive smart.

I use the cassette range more and am suddenly more powerful- what is not to love?
Sprint watts will often be more.
I think that the zPower is more often flattering, but the biggest point is that the zPower estimate is not accurate. The Saris Fluid 2 and other trainers that actually have a resistance curve characterized in Zwift are FAR more realistic than using the 'Generic Trainer' though, which is why the Generic Trainer is limited to 400W maximum.
Old 02-09-21, 10:15 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
When I moved from a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine to a Wahoo KickR Core my power output went up also-- both average/weighted as well as sprints. Maybe 5-8 W higher excluding sprinting.