Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike Trainer stands for heavy people

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-21, 11:27 AM
grade

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i am currently wanting to take my bike inside and put it on a trainer stand to bike inside instead of buying a stationary bike or spin bike etc. does anyone know of a trainer stand that can hold up to 450 lbs?

already discussed with doctors etc and working closely with appropriate people.
Old 02-15-21, 11:41 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
What Bike is Yours?

Old 02-15-21, 12:02 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 2,962 Times in 1,492 Posts
stationary/

don't think such an animal exists.I'm 195lbs. & found a cycleops was way too light to get comfortable on.inherited a Sunny & zero issues-stable as a rock if you can spare $650.good luck & keep riding.
Old 02-15-21, 04:40 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
195 lbs shouldn't be a problem - the Kickr for example specs 250 lbs, but that seems to be more due to potential bike damage than a concern for the trainer. 450 lbs might be a bit too much though. I'd ping Wahoo and the bike store/brand and see what they say.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 02-15-21, 10:54 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Have you considered rollers? I don't know about weight limits but I love mine:

1) no need to change bike to use, just hop on
2) improves my pedal stroke as when I'm not good I bob up and down
3) improves my balance

Takes some getting used to but I'm a big fan. You must use smooth or minimal tread tires (ie. Continental Gatorskin, GP4000 or GP5000)

Old 02-16-21, 09:38 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
What brand are those? I've never seen them before. Looks like a cross between Tru-Trainer and Kreitler.
Old 02-16-21, 10:07 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8262 Post(s)
Liked 8,998 Times in 4,456 Posts
The highest I've seen one rated is the FDW trainer. It says "at least 300 pounds", whatever that means. Maybe you could write to them.
Old 02-16-21, 09:06 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Originally Posted by jadocs
What brand are those? I've never seen them before. Looks like a cross between Tru-Trainer and Kreitler.
I actually don't know. I just searched for it and used the picture that popped up from the search. sorry
Likes For Symox:
Old 02-18-21, 10:05 AM
akeelor

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
The roller suggestion would likely be ok from a weight perspective, although at 450lbs I would certainly verify before purchasing. However, the primary issue I see would be the ability at that weight to control the bike on the rollers. I've been riding for 20 yrs and I am of normal weight for my height and rollers can still be challenging for me. Small movements on the bike can have a major effect on control on the rollers and at that weight I see control of the bike as a significant constraint and would not recommend.
Old 02-19-21, 10:55 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by akeelor
The roller suggestion would likely be ok from a weight perspective, although at 450lbs I would certainly verify before purchasing. However, the primary issue I see would be the ability at that weight to control the bike on the rollers. I've been riding for 20 yrs and I am of normal weight for my height and rollers can still be challenging for me. Small movements on the bike can have a major effect on control on the rollers and at that weight I see control of the bike as a significant constraint and would not recommend.
Yeah you need to be able to control the bike with your hips.
Old 02-19-21, 11:25 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8262 Post(s)
Liked 8,998 Times in 4,456 Posts
I don't know if the OP is coming back but I spoke to this guy years ago and he would make custom stuff for people. Might be worth a call,he seemed to know what he was talking about.
High Sierra Cycle Center, mfg of the Slocum Trainer stand and seller of Computrainer products. (hscycle.com)
Old 02-21-21, 12:25 AM
Symox

Originally Posted by akeelor
Good points, I'm relatively light at 175lbs with bike so I don't know what to expect at 450lbs.

I don't have a problem controlling the bike on the rollers unless I try to ride "no handed" then it can be dicey