Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Front Campy Record Brake Caliper - Can't remove

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 02-24-21, 04:27 PM
grall1126

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I have had this brake caliper since 1997. It hasn't been removed for over 20 years from this fork.
1. Two things - from the picture, I can't get the screw to budge - suggestions?

2. If you look at this picture from the front, the right brake lever has no resistance, doesn't spring back. I am thinking it's shot?

I guess the main thing is getting the brake off but I don't want to crack the carbon fork.

Help is appreciated

Old 02-24-21, 07:07 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
The return spring on the brake has likely become dislodged or snapped (happens) - may be fixable without having to remove the caliper if it's dislodged. Take a look at how the spring on the rear caliper is arranged to give you some idea about how the front should look. If you want to remove the front brake, the cylindrical nut is likely seized onto the brake bolt. You could try to break it free by holding onto the caliper with one hand and giving the nut some welly (a ratchet handle with a 5mm hex head would give you more grunt) without involving the fork in the process - all the force would be on the caliper and nut. However, you run the risk of rounding out or snapping the head off the nut (it's usually aluminum), which might strand the caliper in place. I would start dripping some penetrating oil into the center hole of the nut over a couple of days - orientate the fork so the nut faces upward to contain the oil. The only way out for the oil is over the threads you want to free up. Is that an LS Classic? It's the only LS of that vintage that I can think of that has an FD tab

Last edited by Litespud; 02-24-21 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-25-21, 03:44 AM
Dirk de Chablis

Bikes: A red one, a white one, a white and red one and a silver one

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 25 Posts
Fit a longer brake 5mm hex nut so it sits proud of the forks and give it a good dunt with a real hammer. Most likely the star washer has attached it's self to the fork and needs some persuasion to move.
Old 02-25-21, 03:54 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 191 Posts
Maybe a dumb question but it looks like in the photos that your cable is detached or was that too easy I also agree check the spring to see if dislodged or broken and spray some PB Blaster on that nut (through the back of the fork) to help in getting it off.

Old 02-25-21, 08:47 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
The crown on that fork should be aluminum and fairly resistant to damage. The steel mounting nut has likely corroded to the threaded brake stud. Penetrating fluid slopped all over the place might help after a few days. Only one way out is to crank on it after a thorough soaking of fluid and hope the mounting nut head does not round out.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 02-25-21, 12:02 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
I'd try the suggestions above before trying to muscle the bolt out. If you have to get it out, I would spray it with Kroil, if you have any, or Liquid Wrench, WD-40, etc to see if that will help loosen the bolt. Let the stuff sit over night before you really crank on it.
Old 02-25-21, 02:37 PM
grall1126

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks guys for your suggestions. Once I get the rest of the components all cleaned up I am going to soak it with wd40. If I mess it up I can still salvage the brake and it will just be opened after closing with my hand!!! I tried extending the hex key with a pipe over it but that didn't work well.
Old 02-25-21, 03:46 PM
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 191 Posts
IMHO PB Blaster will work much better than WD40. It is worth keeping some around.
Old 02-26-21, 01:21 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1356 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 272 Posts
I once worked on a bike that required 3 days to remove the brake calipers. Corroded tight. First tried a series of increasingly noxious and effective penetrating oils, marinating the nut from both sides, and leaving for 24 hours. When this didn't work, I eventually moved on to a heat gun, open flame, and finally drilling. Hopefully you don't have to go there. Mind you, every single nut and fastener on that bike was siezed up solid with corrosion, which almost resulted in the demise of that cursed steed. Chainring bolts, brake and shifter barrel adjusters, rack and fender mounts etc. Everything. Plus the pedals. Damn.

So take care of these brakes, as these are about the best road calipers ever made. Superior cold-forged construction, top-end materials and fittings, and 2 rows of tiny thrust bearings between the 2 pivots; way over-engineered and expensive. Make sure to regrease the pivots upon rebuilt and reassembly: grease, not oil. When maintained, these calipers will provide a lifetime of superior performance.
Old 02-26-21, 05:26 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Take off the front wheel. Turn the bike upside down. If fork is like mine, the bolt / nut & threads are now exposed. If so, good access for some PB Blaster. Every day for 3 days. Then try to loosen, allen key in 1 hand, holding the brake with the other. If it's still too tight go 3 more days. Pretty sure this will loosen up, Campy Record isn't junky stuff. Don't lose patience and start breaking stuff.

Last edited by grizzly59; 02-26-21 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-26-21, 09:21 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 331 Posts
My favorite penetrants are Chill Zone and Liquid Wrench. But you're more likely to strip the hex nut or sprain your wrist than damage the fork.
Old 02-27-21, 10:29 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old road
IMHO PB Blaster will work much better than WD40. It is worth keeping some around.
I agree, IMO, PB seems to work better than any other lubricant/rust buster.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors