Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Legitimate salvage?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Legitimate salvage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-21, 10:39 AM
BakinaRakija

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Legitimate salvage?

My last post for today, since I have to stop looking at bikes or I'm gonna go broke. But this baby is on sale for 70€(90$), and it's kind of quirky. Right now I have a road bike frame that is going to keep me busy for a while in that department, I have my daily commuter/gravel grinder, but I also want a flat bar bike for my local trails, which are pretty friendly for rigid bikes.

What do you think? It doesn't seem like top of the line, but the fact that it's a lugged frame and a Bianchi is interesting, and it doesn't look that bad either.

Old 03-04-21, 11:32 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
The Volpe is another lugged bike we have on our side of the pond, I hear it can be a good gravel bike. Here's one from another BF'er: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-question.html

There are a few other threads on the Volpe. Not sure what the model is on yours - not clear enough in the pic.

Old 03-04-21, 12:07 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,023 Times in 665 Posts
Originally Posted by BakinaRakija
but I also want a flat bar bike for my local trails, which are pretty friendly for rigid bikes.
I've got to agree that it is a tough decision. For trails that are rigid bike friendly, this should be ideal. I like the lugs also. The only thing that I would change later on is the stem. I just don't like these adjustable stems. They have their place, but my personal tastes don't include these. Once you know you like the bike and the riding position that you have dialed in with the stem, buy a fixed stem that matches the angle and the reach that you like.

Let us know if you buy it.

Last edited by Velo Mule; 03-04-21 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-04-21, 12:10 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked 2,984 Times in 1,498 Posts
bargain?

XT drivetrain + aftermarket cranks $100. seems reasonable if you need it.flip it if not.
Old 03-04-21, 12:28 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Ha! The OP thinks that he or she has to slow down. Me too...

Old 03-04-21, 02:32 PM
BakinaRakija

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
I've got to agree that it is a tough decision. For trails that are rigid bike friendly, this should be ideal. I like the lugs also. The only thing that I would change later on is the stem. I just don't like these adjustable stems. They have their place, but my personal tastes don't include these. Once you know you like the bike and the riding position that you have dialed in with the stem, buy a fixed stem that matches the angle and the reach that you like.

Let us know if you buy it.
I have a couple of postive angle quill stems lying around, I agree with you on that.

Originally Posted by '02 nrs
XT drivetrain + aftermarket cranks $100. seems reasonable if you need it.flip it if not.
I'm kind of more inclined toward going 1x Deore, narrow wide on the original crank if the chainline permits it, and swapping either only the freehub body for an 12 speed or swapping the entire wheelset, since there are a bunch of cheap ones available used.

Originally Posted by randyjawa
Ha! The OP thinks that he or she has to slow down. Me too...
Well, I feel slightly better now

Originally Posted by francophile
The Volpe is another lugged bike we have on our side of the pond, I hear it can be a good gravel bike. Here's one from another BF'er: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-question.html

There are a few other threads on the Volpe. Not sure what the model is on yours - not clear enough in the pic.
It's a "whistler project habitat" model
Old 03-04-21, 04:09 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,255 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by '02 nrs
That's Acera X, not XT- meaning this bike is on the low end of the spectrum.

I'd pass since you should be able to get more bike for the same amount of money. Don't let the Bianchi name sway you!
Old 03-04-21, 06:19 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked 2,984 Times in 1,498 Posts
Originally Posted by Clang
That's Acera X, not XT- meaning this bike is on the low end of the spectrum.

I'd pass since you should be able to get more bike for the same amount of money. Don't let the Bianchi name sway you!
agree-after looking more closely it is low spec drive train.$100 on the higher end value if that.
Old 03-04-21, 08:50 PM
surveyor6

Bikes: 1961 Higgins Flightliner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 70 Posts
I'd be all over a good MTB with a lugged frame. Especially a Bianchi.