Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Carbon fiber

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-21, 02:28 PM
greysquirrel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Carbon fiber

Interesting article on carbon fiber bikes:

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/p...-design-489852
Old 03-22-21, 05:18 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Titanium,
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 03-22-21, 05:24 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,971 Times in 1,918 Posts
not many will apprehend how important resin is when used in conjunction with CF.

It's like ordering a sub from the deli. A good deli will start you off with great bread then give you a lot of meats, cheeses, & toss in a beverage with some chips. A cheap deli will give you the same bread, but only provide some inexpensive herbs & use bologna with mild cheddar while being mounded with iceberg lettuce.
Old 03-22-21, 07:46 PM
greysquirrel

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
Titanium,
Yeah, but would cost several thousand more.
Old 03-22-21, 07:48 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
It's cute the way they make bikes out of fishing pole material.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 03-22-21, 07:53 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,971 Times in 1,918 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
It's cute the way they make bikes out of fishing pole material.
or formula 1 facias.
Old 03-24-21, 08:33 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
not many will apprehend how important resin is when used in conjunction with CF.

It's like ordering a sub from the deli. A good deli will start you off with great bread then give you a lot of meats, cheeses, & toss in a beverage with some chips. A cheap deli will give you the same bread, but only provide some inexpensive herbs & use bologna with mild cheddar while being mounded with iceberg lettuce.
Well after all it is a carbon fiber reinforced plastic bike.
Old 03-24-21, 09:39 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3143 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
Titanium,
Pffftt. It’s the same things. I remember when Ti was coming on in the ‘90s, and folks were kvetching about inferior Russian Ti compared to American Ti, and complaining about no-brand frames and made-to-spec brands like Airborne. Exact same sh*t.

Brand is all that has ever mattered; everthing else is a cheap-out and trade-off.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 03-24-21, 10:20 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Maybe I'm cynical, but this article reminds me of industry advocacy pieces that denounce competitors. Open mold carbon frames do indeed undercut the established brands. These brands spend money to advertise and differentiate themselves. Many consumers cannot tell the difference between their technologically advanced framesets and generic framesets made by competitors. It's an industry problem, but it's not the consumer's problem in any way.
Old 03-24-21, 10:24 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10425 Post(s)
Liked 11,899 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Well after all it is a carbon fiber reinforced plastic bike.
Super-sealed lady, chrome-color clothes
You wear 'cause you have no other
But I suppose no one knows
You're my plastic fantastic lover

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-24-21, 11:28 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Maybe I'm cynical, but this article reminds me of industry advocacy pieces that denounce competitors.
I don't see that at all. In the opening of the article, they noted that they've bought, tested and have been impressed by some open mold frames. In the meat of the article, two industry guys were interviewed. One said that some companies use cheap materials, the other said that most are using the same range of materials as the big brands. One said that factory work conditions were sometimes appalling, the other disagreed, saying that he didn't know of any with sweatshop conditions or (more or less) indentured workers. Etc. etc. Sure, they touched on the lack of testing and accountability for many of these factories, but I think that's a fair criticism.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-24-21, 01:57 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3143 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Maybe I'm cynical, but this article reminds me of industry advocacy pieces that denounce competitors. Open mold carbon frames do indeed undercut the established brands. These brands spend money to advertise and differentiate themselves. Many consumers cannot tell the difference between their technologically advanced framesets and generic framesets made by competitors. It's an industry problem, but it's not the consumer's problem in any way.
Dude, there was a whole section, headlined in bold typeface,

You probably don’t “need” a World Tour bike

“Both of our experts advised against purchasing open mould frames direct, the primary reason being a lack of accountability if things go wrong. The frames available from brands who have purchased open mould creations and badged them up? Probably will do the job, if a little less innovative.”
Old 03-27-21, 10:52 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Speaking of titanium (vs carbon fiber)
Originally Posted by greysquirrel
Yeah, but would cost several thousand more.
Not necessarily "several thousand". Check out the offerings from companies like Litespeed and Lynskey. They aren't the upper end boutique companies but are made in the US and have pretty good reputations. I think you'll find that their frame options and complete bike options aren't several thousand more than a similarly equipped high end CF frame. I've been looking at Lynskey and Litespeed gravel F&F and complete bikes. Bare frame/fork sets with basic options, normal discounts, were between ~$2 and 2.5K shipped. I don't think it's hard to spend that on a CF frame and fork. Of course the complete bike options can vary quite a bit depending on group and wheels, but the framesets give you an idea. I don't think those prices are much more than a few hundred more than a middle level, "brand name" CF F&F, and similar to upper end. But I haven't shopped for that in several years, so I could be wrong. There are US companies that design and do there sales from the US, but order their bikes from Asia which are even more economical, and as far as I've read, do a good job too

There will be a weight difference compared to high end CF of a couple pounds which may or may not be significant to the rider. The Lynskey GR300 frame (no fork) is quoted at about 1,800 (medium) and Litespeed Watia, a little lighter, ~1,600. My 10 year old CF frame (no fork) which I have been able to economically build up to sub 16 pounds was 1,000 but that is a road bike and these are gravel, and I would expect the road frames would be weigh less than the gravel frames. I know that it's easy to find a CF road frame a couple hundred grams (half a pound) lighter than my old bike. But my guess is that these "economical" titanium frames are at most a pound or so compared to a good, brand name CF frame, as would be the final build.

Last edited by Camilo; 03-27-21 at 11:05 PM.