Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How to get better at cycling

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-23-21, 04:41 PM
Erixon84

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Hello All,
I am a 37 year old male from NYC who loves cycling. I bought a 2020 Specialized Roubaix Sport, last year, and I have been riding either 12, 15, or 35 miles depending on the day of the week.
My question is, how can I get better at cycling in terms of speed. Are there any gym workouts I can do?
Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

‘Thank you!
Old 03-23-21, 04:45 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Join a Local Club and have fun riding with them.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 03-23-21, 04:49 PM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
step one : dont buy a POS specialized over priced dentist bike LOLOLOL ROFL !!!!
Old 03-23-21, 04:51 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
This is going to sound snarky, but it's not. The way to ride faster is to ride faster.

The time honored way is through intervals. There are a zillion different variations based on time and intensity and how to measure that intensity, but they all break down to the same principle: you break up your training rides into segments where you ride hard for that portion of time, then recover, then ride hard, then recover, etc.

Another way is to ride with faster people, especially a group, although that may not be a good option right now.
Likes For caloso:
Old 03-23-21, 07:24 PM
Erixon84

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
This is going to sound snarky, but it's not. The way to ride faster is to ride faster.

The time honored way is through intervals. There are a zillion different variations based on time and intensity and how to measure that intensity, but they all break down to the same principle: you break up your training rides into segments where you ride hard for that portion of time, then recover, then ride hard, then recover, etc.

Another way is to ride with faster people, especially a group, although that may not be a good option right now.
Gotcha. I’ll take this into consideration unlike the other replies that were useless lol.
Likes For Erixon84:
Old 03-23-21, 07:25 PM
Erixon84

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Toespeas
step one : dont buy a POS specialized over priced dentist bike LOLOLOL ROFL !!!!
not your money so don’t worry about it.
Likes For Erixon84:
Old 03-23-21, 07:37 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Enjoy the bike. I'd be happy to have one as nice as that.
Ride more and you will get faster, but as caloso said you do have to push yourself harder from time to time.
Old 03-23-21, 07:40 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Erixon84
Gotcha. I’ll take this into consideration unlike the other replies that were useless lol.
Pretty soon someone will come on and post how you shouldn’t care how fast you go, that you should just enjoy the ride. To which I say, faster is funner.
Likes For caloso:
Old 03-23-21, 07:40 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Erixon84
Saddle time, you just have to put the work in. Find a club and ride with them. Just pick the group where you're not the fastest. When you are one of the fastest... move up to the next faster group.

Include some hills, they make you stronger.

There are always group rides leaving from Strictly Bicycles which is just over the GW Bridge on the NJ side. Take the subway up and ride over the bridge. Groups head north on 9W all the way to Bear Mountain. Plenty of elevation and distance to challenge yourself.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 03-23-21, 07:42 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 437 Posts
Ride longer, more often and harder! The more you will ride, the better you will get. The hardest is to get out of your comfort zone and stay there as long as you can. For me, it's all about riding out off the saddle (attacking climbs) more often.

I don't believe you should be worrying about going to the gym, but if you really do, there are a few key exercises that can be done. I remember seeing a GCN video about this a few years ago.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 03-23-21, 08:57 PM
guachi

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
If you have time and/or losing weight matters then riding for a long time at lower power (base miles, as it were) is a great way to build fitness and lose weight without putting undo stress on your body. Increase your time a bit each week. Give yourself some recovery time every once in awhile.

I'm no racer or expert but I was really surprised at just how useful volumes of moderate level endurance riding can be. Do 3 weeks of 8-12 hours with nothing more than 75% of FTP (if that) and I'd come out down a few pounds and a higher FTP when I did decide to work. It was like some kind of voodoo magic.

Intervals work great, too. I like 40s/20s intervals and 4min-8min intervals. I'll do, like, 7-10 40s/20s efforts and then recover for 5-10 minutes and then do it again. I'll fill the rest of the ride with low-endurance level stuff. Total ride time is 90-120 min. Or 6min/3min 5x with the rest low-endurance level. 90-120 min total ride time.

For strength exercises, I mostly do planks or something similar to work my core and shoulders.
Likes For guachi:
Old 03-24-21, 04:42 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Agree with all the advice just incrementally adding longer rides, intervals or hilly rides in the mix, and if you normally average X mph of Y miles long try to push to 1.1X and 1.1Y etc.

If you want to throw in some structured training, I've had success using the workouts from The Time Crunched Cyclist - it has sections aimed at racers but also at riders just aiming to do longer rides like centuries.

Doing group rides is a good way (once those come back) to find riders at slightly above your comfort level - this site shows centuries rides and fondos (long, hilly group rides) around the country and lists the Time Crunched Cyclist workouts
Old 03-24-21, 06:53 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Ask a silly question, get silly answers.
Of course potentially getting fitter via working out in the gym can produce results in other activities.
Specific and measurable results such as an unquantified amount of additional speed on a bicycle?
Thats silly

Btw, ditch your POS orthodontist bike...
Old 03-24-21, 07:28 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20804 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Why the seemingly unprovoked bike hate? Can y'all show me, on this doll, where Specialized touched you?
Old 03-24-21, 07:30 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Pretty soon someone will come on and post how you shouldn’t care how fast you go, that you should just enjoy the ride. To which I say, faster is funner.
Yeah, I came onto the thread to ask if by "better" the OP meant go around corners easier; ride safer in traffic; do cool tricks like wheelies and jumps; ride with no hands for a really long time; or just go faster.

And the answer to all of them is to just get out and ride your bike. If you're new to bike riding don't go looking for gym workouts* or anything boring like that, get outside on your bike and enjoy being outside and riding a bike.

*though it must be said any core exercises you care to do during your regular week won't hurt; core stability will help make you more comfortable while getting maximum power output in your most aerodynamic position, all of which translates into you going faster.
Old 03-24-21, 07:33 AM
Erixon84

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks guys!
For the ones who provided good feedback, I’ll take it into consideration.
Old 03-24-21, 07:40 AM
C_Heath
Its Freakin HammerTime!!!

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix and Giant AnthemX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
they are all right. Same as basketball or any other sport, ride with faster riders, get dropped, ride with them again, kinda hang on, ride with them again, you hung on but literally died, then finally, you hung on. Lance said, "it never gets easier, you just get faster" ride hard. Thats it, HARD

https://www.xxcycle.com/logo_w150h100/bmc.jpg
Likes For C_Heath:
Old 03-24-21, 07:45 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3251 Post(s)
Liked 2,075 Times in 975 Posts
Originally Posted by Toespeas
I thought Cervelos were dentist bikes? Or maybe it was Chiropractor, I'm so confused. Way to contribute positively to the thread though.
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 03-24-21, 08:33 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,791 Times in 3,305 Posts
Just vary up the overall intensity that you do a ride at and then have certain parts of that ride that you sometimes go all out on. Like maybe a particular climb. Or a 1/8 to maybe 1/4 mile stretch of flat.

Then also throw in a 3 or 4 hour ride if not longer every few weeks if not more often. What ever you do just ride more. Don't be in a hurry to match the speed of others that have been riding forever.
Old 03-24-21, 08:44 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Why the seemingly unprovoked bike hate? Can y'all show me, on this doll, where Specialized touched you?
Who seriously hates Spesh?
I recently owned one.
I just loved the ridiculous Spesh dentist reference in the equally ridiculous ‘what heavy objects can I lift in the gym to get faster on a bicycle’ thread.
Ohh wait. Working on your core muscles will get you into the TDF
Old 03-24-21, 09:18 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Who seriously hates Spesh?
I recently owned one.
I just loved the ridiculous Spesh dentist reference in the equally ridiculous ‘what heavy objects can I lift in the gym to get faster on a bicycle’ thread.
Ohh wait. Working on your core muscles will get you into the TDF
My wife has a Specialized, and i have a Trek and a Cannondale.

A bicycle is a tool. Pick the one that does the job for you. Given a choice, some people will always pick the heaviest hammer.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 03-24-21, 11:01 AM
Hapsmo911

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
Get a trainer and start a training plan of your choice. Trainerroad, sufferfest ect. I would also join as many group rides as possible. No sense in having power but no group/bike handling skills.
Old 03-24-21, 11:07 AM
swag72

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 4 Posts
I have found a structured training plan has really helped me improve my speed. I have an indoor trainer that I use perhaps 3x a week (less as it warms up nicely) so follow a low volume structured plan from TrainerRoad. It gives me a lot of motivation during the winter and when the weather isn't great to go outside.
Old 03-24-21, 11:13 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,849 Times in 6,066 Posts
Isn't that the reason for training, if you don't race? Because it helps you go faster and farther and that's where the fun is. I spent this winter riding on Zwift during the week, while still doing Sunday rides outside when possible, so that I can go right back to riding good rides outside without having to build back up to it.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-24-21, 11:19 AM
Grouperdawg

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I was wondering the same thing, I am involved with a bike rehabilitation program for critically wounded special operators and specialized seems to be a preferred brand for our guys that compete.

Likes For Grouperdawg:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.