Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Trailer for twins with autism (Wike?)

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-11, 07:00 PM
jbgmom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,
I just signed up because I plan to get a trailer soon and begin cycling with my twin sons with autism. At this point, they don't pedal, steer or understand danger, so I figure a trailer is better than a tandem.

The people at Wike said both twins will fit into their special needs trailer, so now all I need now is the money! Have to rearrange the budget a little. I'm so excited to be able to get outside more with my boys. I also have an older son who just gave up training wheels, so we can really have some fun.

Alice
Old 04-06-11, 11:51 AM
masiman

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jbgmom
Hi,
I just signed up because I plan to get a trailer soon and begin cycling with my twin sons with autism. At this point, they don't pedal, steer or understand danger, so I figure a trailer is better than a tandem.

The people at Wike said both twins will fit into their special needs trailer, so now all I need now is the money! Have to rearrange the budget a little. I'm so excited to be able to get outside more with my boys. I also have an older son who just gave up training wheels, so we can really have some fun.

Alice
Wike makes a very nice trailer. They are one of the few trailer companies that will work with customers to customize to their needs. They are expensive but you should find it well worth the cost if you plan to regularly use it.

Best of luck.
Old 07-06-11, 11:15 AM
NixNuxSr

Bikes: Trek 1200; Bilenky Viewpoint Tandem

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just joined the forum, and came across your post. I'm wondering how the twins are liking the ride? How old are they? I've just gotten a tandem so that I can get my 14-year-old autistic son out, though so far he's hesitant.
Old 07-11-11, 07:42 AM
jbgmom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haven't tried the Wike yet

Hi, NixNux,
Haven't ordered the Wike yet, but still intend to (it's not cheap!). I was also looking at the Buddy Bike, but a family friend said it didn't work with their son with autism who is six (same age as the twins and similar level of functioning). I guess he got too excited and kept jumping off.

We are still using our old jogging strollers, although the twins don't really fit anymore. I think it's becoming more obvious that they have special needs, so people don't feel as free to make comments about how they are too big for a stroller. Not that I should care, but sometimes I get tired of explaining. They love getting out for walks, and so do I.

I hope the tandem works out for you and your son. That would give you some great times together. Did you get a tandem trike, or is your son able to balance on a regular bike?
Alice
Old 07-11-11, 06:14 PM
NixNuxSr

Bikes: Trek 1200; Bilenky Viewpoint Tandem

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

We got a tandem bicycle, but a fairly unique one --it has the passenger (the "stoker") in front, so that I can see if he decides to "dismount" early, yet I can still steer -- my seat is a traditional one, but his is recumbent, so I can see over him. Also, he doesn't have pedal all the time (but it sure helps!).

Problem is, as of now, the furthest I've gotten with him is two feet down the driveway; but it's a start. And my wife says he had a big smile on his face.

He has an adult trike, but it's big, heavy, and slow. No fun there; with the tandem we can (someday, I hope) fly down the road with the wind in our faces.
Old 07-12-11, 04:51 AM
Joyfulmama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know that wee-hoo is planning on a double peddle trailer. You might contact them and see what the time frame is on that. They would be all buckled in in it and not able to jump out. It is still a lot of money, but would enable them to peddle when they are ready.

https://www.weehoobicycletrailer.com/