Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Invulnerable my ASS

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Invulnerable my ASS

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-23, 02:10 AM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
This kind of reminds me of the not-nearly-as-old Maxxis Re-Fuse tire. I bought a set and I don't remember how long it took, but not very long before the tread started flaking off.
That’s interesting as I use Maxxis Refuse tyres on my commuter in 25 sizeways. I’ve had some that last and last until the nylon threads are showing, then others that start to fall apart in chunks, although still usually a decent lifespan to that point. I’ve always thought their quality control must be sub par to have such variances. Still, I usually get a few thousand k’s before they start to crumble.
Old 10-07-23, 03:08 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
It is in the rules that y'all agreed to when you signed up. Bike Forums - FAQ: Board FAQ

Vulgarity

As a community with a diverse variety of members and readers, we ask that our members to post without using vulgarity. Vulgarity not only includes vulgar language and pictures but also sexist, racist, anti-religious, images of graphic violence, political statements and homophobic language which may offend other members. In addition, the "masking" of vulgarity by inserting * or another keystroke in place of one or more letters in a vulgar term is unacceptable in most cases. It will also be impermissible to anagramize a word to bypass the filters. This applies to all content submitted by users including posts, PMs, avatars and signatures.

Who's opinion to what is vulgar matters ? - yours ? The English language is ever evolving and what may be considered vulgar at one time may not be in another. The issue should ride when / if there is abuse of another person. Just because a person's sensibilities are triggered doesn't make that vulgar. As YOU said we are a diverse community from around the world and in saying so I hope you realize that WORDS used freely in one country may be VULGAR in another.

This is approaching thought policing, ones personal expression and cancel culture. May as well ban me now.

Sorry to all-just an old grump here. Back to the regularly scheduled chat.
Likes For daviddavieboy:
Old 10-07-23, 04:15 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,961 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by daviddavieboy
Who's opinion to what is vulgar matters ? - yours ? The English language is ever evolving and what may be considered vulgar at one time may not be in another. The issue should ride when / if there is abuse of another person. Just because a person's sensibilities are triggered doesn't make that vulgar. As YOU said we are a diverse community from around the world and in saying so I hope you realize that WORDS used freely in one country may be VULGAR in another.

This is approaching thought policing, ones personal expression and cancel culture. May as well ban me now.

Sorry to all-just an old grump here. Back to the regularly scheduled chat.
"Whose," not "Who's." Illiteracy offends me, but I recognize that my standards aren't the community's standards.

That said, your rant is itself a perfect example of cancel culture.

In any event, trot out your brave Freedom Fighter clichés all you like: there's no question of thought policing and so on here. This is a privately owned forum. Don't like their "No shirt, no shoes, no service" rules? Boo hoo.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 10-07-23, 04:36 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3093 Post(s)
Liked 6,610 Times in 3,788 Posts
Originally Posted by daviddavieboy
Who's opinion to what is vulgar matters ?
The people who run company that owns Bike Forums.

Old 10-07-23, 07:39 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
I've been banned from a couple forums for merely expressing an opinion contrary to that of the mods. No vulgarity or obscenity required. Apparently rational thought and recognizing an objective reality are offensive. They are of course privately owned sites and perfectly free to impose any conditions that they care to. I was offended by their intolerance and denial of some simple facts. I find though that I've managed to survive despite the rejection hahaha
Objection to common in-use words, regardless of context is nothing less than absurd IMO but the may just be me
I am fairly certain that none of my ancestors wore funny shaped hats and probably would have consorted with rather than burned witches
Have a day

Last edited by Steel Charlie; 10-07-23 at 07:53 AM.
Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 10-07-23, 08:40 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1613 Post(s)
Liked 2,599 Times in 1,228 Posts
I know car tires have date codes. When old and 35 psi meet a 250# rider...
Old 10-07-23, 08:59 AM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 2,961 Times in 984 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
That squares with my memory of Wolbers in general.

At my level of riding ability, there is zero advantage to riding tubs, although all the old disadvantages are still there. (In my teen years when I had delusions of racing for about 15 minutes, I patched my share of sew-ups and then some. Fun memories - NOT.) These days, tubulars make sense for some folks, and more power to them, but not for me.
I think I need to hear this more often. I rode tubulars for a couple of decades and didn’t mind repairing them but switched as clinchers got better and the Contis I liked got more expensive and harder to find. Lately I’ve been toying with getting a tubular wheel set for my Paramount and/or Falcon (period correctness, y’know) but maybe all I need to do is mount a pair of the 23mm Michelin Comp 4s I have, pump ‘em up to 100+ and feel the buzz…

Last edited by ascherer; 10-07-23 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-07-23, 09:10 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
I know car tires have date codes. When old and 35 psi meet a 250# rider...
"If I only had a heart . . . ."
Old 10-07-23, 09:14 AM
Steel Charlie

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
That squares with my memory of Wolbers in general.

At my level of riding ability, there is zero advantage to riding tubs, although all the old disadvantages are still there. (In my teen years when I had delusions of racing for about 15 minutes, I patched my share of sew-ups and then some. Fun memories - NOT.) These days, tubulars make sense for some folks, and more power to them, but not for me.
And the older you get the more attractive clincher tires become. I probably won't even have a go at tubeless.
YMMV of course
Old 10-07-23, 11:16 AM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 665 Posts
Those who know me would agree I don't have a mean bone in my body.

I have goals of "not offending anybody today" but sometimes in the spirit of being cheeky, I push things too far.

Ironically, I misspelled "ass" because I didn't think it was allowed. Moderators actually changed my rouse to the proper spelling. And warned me to not do that again. Too funny.

To the WOBLER tire company, I say, "good day to you sir. I SAID GOOD DAY!"
Old 10-07-23, 11:43 AM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
I never understand why people use old tires and are them surprised when they fail. Seems pretty simple that tires have a relatively short life, even in storage.

I also no longer use vintage aluminum handle bars or stems. Just does not seem worth it.
Old 10-07-23, 01:30 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3093 Post(s)
Liked 6,610 Times in 3,788 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
Those who know me would agree I don't have a mean bone in my body.

I have goals of "not offending anybody today" but sometimes in the spirit of being cheeky, I push things too far.

Ironically, I misspelled "ass" because I didn't think it was allowed. Moderators actually changed my rouse to the proper spelling. And warned me to not do that again. Too funny.

To the WOBLER tire company, I say, "good day to you sir. I SAID GOOD DAY!"
You can say ass. What you can't do is change the spelling of words to avoid the forum censor.

Old 10-07-23, 01:36 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1613 Post(s)
Liked 2,599 Times in 1,228 Posts
Originally Posted by ascherer
I think I need to hear this more often. I rode tubulars for a couple of decades and didn’t mind repairing them but switched as clinchers got better and the Contis I liked got more expensive and harder to find. Lately I’ve been toying with getting a tubular wheel set for my Paramount and/or Falcon (period correctness, y’know) but maybe all I need to do is mount a pair of the 23mm Michelin Comp 4s I have, pump ‘em up to 100+ and feel the buzz…
I've been riding Schwalbe Durano lately for their flat protection and mileage. The 23's have a 145psi rating.
Old 10-07-23, 01:41 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,702 Times in 2,522 Posts
Wobler were always cheap junk, but generally worked okay. It doesn't surprise me that they are no good 30 years later though. I think the only wobler tires I used were some CX all-black tubulars. They worked fine for training. I gave up on training on tubulars after that though, because decent 1" clinchers showed up.
Old 10-07-23, 03:15 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1830 Post(s)
Liked 3,385 Times in 1,585 Posts
a little bit of history (or context?) for those not familiar with the Wolber Invulnerable... an advertisement from back in the day...

Never used them myself.

Steve in Peoria
Old 10-07-23, 04:32 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 980 Times in 651 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
a little bit of history (or context?) for those not familiar with the Wolber Invulnerable... an advertisement from back in the day...

Never used them myself.

Steve in Peoria
Never used them as well
Old 10-07-23, 06:52 PM
Steel Charlie

Lotsa people didn't use Wobblers just cos
​​​
Old 10-07-23, 07:16 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr., Libertas mixte

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 934 Times in 450 Posts
With the correctness vibe around here, you would think that people with clinchers on their classic racing bikes would nearly die of shame.