Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bike Chain Keeps Popping Off, WHY?!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-24, 02:30 PM
tribbles_bike

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

The chain on my bike likes to pop off randomly when I'm riding. It's a bit of an issue as I use my bike to get between work and classes and it takes me a bit to get it back on. How do I stop this from happening?
Old 04-26-24, 02:51 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by tribbles_bike
The chain on my bike likes to pop off randomly when I'm riding. It's a bit of an issue as I use my bike to get between work and classes and it takes me a bit to get it back on. How do I stop this from happening?
Don't ride your bike?

Sorry, there are myriad reasons for a chain popping off. I don't know how anyone can solve this without looking at the bike, or not even knowing what kind of bike it is, or at least getting a better description than "randomly." Take it to a bike shop. A good mechanic should be able to diagnose the cause in minutes, and if your bike needs new parts like a chain or cogs, there's no getting around it. Spend a little money or learn a little about how a bicycle works.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 04-26-24, 03:22 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5833 Post(s)
Liked 2,664 Times in 1,482 Posts
One likely cause is a bent chainring tooth, but that's only one of many possibilities.

We'd need to know much more before being able to offer an intelligent response. Then again, even an excellent description isn't close to actually eyeballing the bike.

If there's a local bike co-op go there, otherwise go to a bike shop, or if you're mechanically inclined, reader watch lots of tutorials on the net.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-26-24, 04:09 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1146 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 972 Posts
A huffy beach cruiser is the bike.

Is that a single speeder?
Old 04-26-24, 04:14 PM
tribbles_bike

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
In response to Mr. 66, yes it it
Old 04-26-24, 04:19 PM
tribbles_bike

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Okay, let me describe the situation a bit better. I've noticed that my chain likes to pop off after hitting a bump, but it's not every single time. I'll look and see if any of the chain-ring teeth are bent and find out how to fix it. I would like to avoid spending money to fix something, especially if it's a simple fix, as I am a college student (please keep this in mind)
Old 04-26-24, 04:24 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,007 Times in 1,933 Posts
might have too much chain slack
Old 04-26-24, 04:39 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 1,056 Posts
Old 04-26-24, 04:42 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5010 Post(s)
Liked 8,189 Times in 3,875 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
might have too much chain slack
This ^^^

As others have also noted, it could be a combination of things, including bent chainring or cog teeth, but the fact that it's related to going over a bump makes chain tension a most likely culprit. On a beach cruiser type bike, adjusting chain tension would require loosening the nuts that hold the rear wheel in the frame, sliding the wheel back, and re-tightening the nuts. There is a balance between too loose and too tight for chain tension. Too tight will make pedaling more difficult. For someone with experience working on bikes, this is pretty elementary. For someone without experience, it might take some trial and error to get it right. Also, make sure the wheel stays centered in the frame.
Old 04-26-24, 05:01 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 885 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
This ^^^

As others have also noted, it could be a combination of things, including bent chainring or cog teeth, but the fact that it's related to going over a bump makes chain tension a most likely culprit. On a beach cruiser type bike, adjusting chain tension would require loosening the nuts that hold the rear wheel in the frame, sliding the wheel back, and re-tightening the nuts. There is a balance between too loose and too tight for chain tension. Too tight will make pedaling more difficult. For someone with experience working on bikes, this is pretty elementary. For someone without experience, it might take some trial and error to get it right. Also, make sure the wheel stays centered in the frame.
To add to that-
IF you can prop up the rear wheel and spin the pedals-
Slowly turn them and observe the amount of "sag" in the chain after 8-10 revolutions.
IF the chain ring & cog are centered, the sag should remain consistent.
IF it tightens up, something is off center and they adjusted to not get over tight which can damage parts if too severe.
So, before sliding the wheel back, do a quick check to prevent an over tight condition on the chain.

Huffys tend to have lower quality parts and store assembly.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 04-26-24, 05:34 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Assuming Mr. 66 is psychic and you truly have single speed bike, ie. one with a coaster brake, then I'm with the others in suspecting a slack chain.

This is easily fixed, by loosening the rear wheel and sliding it back.

Just be aware of 2 concerns as you do this.

1- you must hold the wheel centered between the chainstays (front of wheel, behind pedals)
2- DO NOT pull out all the slack. The chain needs some slack to work right. Snug the wheel and push the lower loop up and down in the middle. It needs about 1/4" or so. Then check it's centered & tighten the wheel nuts completely.

You can also search tutorials for installing a coaster brake wheel.

Last edited by FBinNY; 04-28-24 at 01:48 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 04-26-24, 07:03 PM
Zef

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Recently worked on a bike who's owner had a similar complaint, the chain would keep coming off. The plastic spoke protector (dork disk) was broken and was binding between the spokes and the cassette, causing the cassette to continue spinning even when coasting...this caused the top run of the chain to push forward and slacken, add even a slight bump in the road and whallah, the chain pops of the single ring crankset...removal/replacement of the spoke protector solved the issue.

-Z

Last edited by Zef; 04-26-24 at 07:12 PM.
Likes For Zef:
Old 04-26-24, 07:10 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 4469 Post(s)
Liked 1,606 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
How is this helpful for chain slack on a single speed?
Likes For Kontact:
Old 04-26-24, 07:29 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
How is this helpful for chain slack on a single speed?
Generally single speed bikes use a dropout that allows the wheel to be moved forward or back to adjust chain slack...when chain slack is minor of course...if the chain is too long then it has to be shortened to the correct length then slide the wheel in the dropout to remove the slack...but not too tight...but just right.

It could be a bent chain ring or a few other things...without decent info and a picture it is impossible to give decent advice or suggestions...but it is what it is...perhaps take Uber???
Old 04-26-24, 07:43 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 4469 Post(s)
Liked 1,606 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by Kai Winters
Generally single speed bikes use a dropout that allows the wheel to be moved forward or back to adjust chain slack...when chain slack is minor of course...if the chain is too long then it has to be shortened to the correct length then slide the wheel in the dropout to remove the slack...but not too tight...but just right.

It could be a bent chain ring or a few other things...without decent info and a picture it is impossible to give decent advice or suggestions...but it is what it is...perhaps take Uber???
What does your response have to do with my question about a derailleur bike video?
Likes For Kontact:
Old 04-26-24, 08:36 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2750 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 2,062 Posts
​​​​​​
Likes For dedhed:
Old 04-27-24, 04:44 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Assuming Mr. 66 is psychic and you truly have single speed bike
I assumed he'd read the OP's profile.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 04-27-24, 06:29 AM
tribbles_bike

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
This ^^^

UPDATE:
I was able to reposition the back wheel and reduce the slack. I haven't taken it for a spin to test it out (I need to give myself some break from a week of riding) but I'll give an update of the chain-popping troubles on Monday!
Thank y'all for all the advice, it's been really helpful.
Likes For tribbles_bike:
Old 04-27-24, 06:34 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
I assumed he'd read the OP's profile.
Good detective work.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 04-29-24, 01:58 PM
tribbles_bike

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
After a day of riding to and from work and campus, I can say with some amount of certainty that my bike chain is good! It did seem that the chain was just too loose, and I'm just disappointed in myself for not noticing it before. It probably happened when I was changing the inner tube a while back and didn't tighten the bolts well enough, allowing for the back tire to move out of place at some point before I retightened them.

Once again, thank you all for the advice!!!
Likes For tribbles_bike:
Old 04-29-24, 02:00 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5010 Post(s)
Liked 8,189 Times in 3,875 Posts
Originally Posted by tribbles_bike
After a day of riding to and from work and campus, I can say with some amount of certainty that my bike chain is good! It did seem that the chain was just too loose, and I'm just disappointed in myself for not noticing it before. It probably happened when I was changing the inner tube a while back and didn't tighten the bolts well enough, allowing for the back tire to move out of place at some point before I retightened them.

Once again, thank you all for the advice!!!
I'm glad it worked out for you. Look at it this way - you just improved your knowledge about bikes.
Old 04-30-24, 06:16 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1862 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 507 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Assuming Mr. 66 is psychic and you truly have single speed bike, ie. one with a coaster brake, then I'm with the others in suspecting a slack chain.

This is easily fixed, by loosening the rear wheel and sliding it back.

Just be aware of 2 concerns as you do this.

1- you must hold the wheel centered between the chainstays (front of wheel, behind pedals)
2- DO NOT pull out all the slack. The chain needs some slack to work right. Snug the wheel and push the lower loop up and down in the middle. It needs about 1/4" or so. Then check it's centered & tighten the wheel nuts completely.

You can also search tutorials for installing a coaster brake wheel.
What about chainring and sprocket not in-plane, I.e. chain line not matched front and rear? Combined with a chainring wobble?
Old 04-30-24, 09:05 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 250 Posts
All my IGH chains go slack/ tight. Too slack and they smack my chain cases.
The only way to get it perfect is to turn the chain until you find the tight spot and then set that with the least slack you can. Keep testing it till it's all good. And it only takes about 1/64" difference in the axle position to go from tight to too loose.
Even without a cover, the least slackness is best.
And don't neglect chain cleaning.
My last bike I was switching from Nexus 7 to SA 5w. I thought the chain line was good but was off 1/8" and kicked it off. Had to get a 11mm longer BB.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 04-30-24 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-30-24, 09:38 AM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Road Fan
What about chainring and sprocket not in-plane, I.e. chain line not matched front and rear? Combined with a chainring wobble?
As they tell medical students, "when you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras".

Slack chains on coaster brake bikes as very common. Add to that the fact that she was able to work the chain back on.

So, while there were other possibilities, it made sense to start with the likeliest before looking for the zebras.

As it turned out, that's what it was.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY: