Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

(Probably) Silly aesthetic question

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-20, 07:30 PM
Roypercy

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 27 Posts

Hi all:

I have a 1987 Schwinn Super Sport in the very noticeable white and lavender paint scheme. I need to get a new saddle, and I'm ready to try a brooks. Until now I've been using a white Rolls with white bar tape, but the Rolls is getting on in years and I've started getting quite uncomfortable on long rides.

I'm deciding between a Colt (in black - they're still out there) or a Team Pro. But in the Team Pro (with the copper rivets) I favor Honey color.

My bike originally shipped with a black saddle, I'm sure black would look just fine. How do we think the honey would look on this bike? Without being able to see it before purchasing, I'm not so sure what I think.

This is from the catalog - I don't have a decent pic handy right now. Mine has a white Rolls saddle and gum hoods. Whatever saddle color I choose I'd match the bar tape as best I could. So imagine this with a honey-colored saddle and bar tape.

Opinions welcome!
Old 01-31-20, 08:28 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
I think the honey color would clash with the pink/lavender. The late '80s saw fairly straight ahead and bold colors, unlike earlier in the decade and before that in the '70s. Metallic paints weren't as common, etc. Add to that the fact that it's a race bike, and that proportion also implies the kind of components that are more appropriate than not. That's more or less the "table" set before us, aesthetically. If the bike was a solid color, like a gloss white or black, then the honey colored saddle etc would work well. You'd just have to be ok with the obviously late-'80s graphics and a Brooks. Some people don't care about that, others do. I try and do my best to have a cohesive look for each bike--that doesn't mean period correct pieces, just a consistent theme.

What color are your rims? Tires? Depending on what they are, there is either increased or decreased aesthetic flexibility (with regard to a matching or consistent aesthetic theme).

A picture, even indoors with ok-enough lighting, would be very appreciated!

I personally, of the two saddles, prefer the Team Pro. The Colt looks like a beak, and is too chunky IMO and thus lacks elegance.

For a modern round-profile saddle that comes in white and works with the sporty late-'80s look, I run a few Prologo Scratch Pros in my fleet. The long side stripe is the ticket. They come in various metal grades as far as rails go. Comfortable and nicely proportioned. Used, they are not expensive.

Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 01-31-20, 08:58 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 301 Posts
I just bought one of these bikes and it is equipped exactly like the catalog picture above. As a matter of fact, I think it might be 100% original.

Anyway, I love the frame colors but I don’t like the tan sidewalls with it. I’ll be going with all black tires or maybe Schwalbe One with the silver stripe if I’m feeling adventurous. Not a big fan of a black saddle on this bike either. Thinking the Prologo above with cromo rails might work better. But then I’m not sure I like white tape with a white saddle on this bike. I am fairly certain I’ll go with grey cable housing regardless of the other bits.

Zero help I know. Just letting you know you have company.
Likes For plonz:
Old 01-31-20, 09:02 PM
Roypercy

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
I think the honey color would clash with the pink/lavender. The late '80s saw fairly straight ahead and bold colors, unlike earlier in the decade and before that in the '70s. Metallic paints weren't as common, etc. Add to that the fact that it's a race bike, and that proportion also implies the kind of components that are more appropriate than not. That's more or less the "table" set before us, aesthetically. If the bike was a solid color, like a gloss white or black, then the honey colored saddle etc would work well. You'd just have to be ok with the obviously late-'80s graphics and a Brooks. Some people don't care about that, others do. I try and do my best to have a cohesive look for each bike--that doesn't mean period correct pieces, just a consistent theme.

What color are your rims? Tires? Depending on what they are, there is either increased or decreased aesthetic flexibility (with regard to a matching or consistent aesthetic theme).

A picture, even indoors with ok-enough lighting, would be very appreciated!

I personally, of the two saddles, prefer the Team Pro. The Colt looks like a beak, and is too chunky IMO and thus lacks elegance.

For a modern round-profile saddle that comes in white and works with the sporty late-'80s look, I run a few Prologo Scratch Pros in my fleet. The long side stripe is the ticket. They come in various metal grades as far as rails go. Comfortable and nicely proportioned. Used, they are not expensive.

Here she is. I forgot I had uploaded this pic a while back. Nothing has changed except the angle of the saddle (don't know what happened there...)

The bike had black rims as OEM but mine came with (period-correct) silver rims, and I installed the solid black Vredestein Comp Race tires.

You may be right about the honey colored Brooks clashing. I don't hate the Schwinn's paint job, but it really is what it is and doesn't allow for a lot of personalization unlike other bikes I've owned.
Old 01-31-20, 09:06 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by riddleofsteel
i think the honey color would clash with the pink/lavender.
+1
Old 01-31-20, 09:10 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Black Brooks saddle. White rolls or white turbo would also look good.
Old 01-31-20, 09:17 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Originally Posted by Roypercy

Opinions welcome!
I would replicate this with a black Turbo saddle, grey/black rims, gumwalls, white leather pedal straps, and a revolving assortment of light colored tape. Looks great.
Old 01-31-20, 09:34 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 951 Posts
I may be the only one but I think the honey would look really good with your setup. Black is also hot. One thing about Brooks, they have short rails, for me they don't work well with steep seat and short top tubes. Puts me to forwards.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 02-01-20, 12:26 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts

Here she is. I forgot I had uploaded this pic a while back. Nothing has changed except the angle of the saddle (don't know what happened there...)

The bike had black rims as OEM but mine came with (period-correct) silver rims, and I installed the solid black Vredestein Comp Race tires.

You may be right about the honey colored Brooks clashing. I don't hate the Schwinn's paint job, but it really is what it is and doesn't allow for a lot of personalization unlike other bikes I've owned.
Looks great! The white saddle and bar tape complete and complement the paint color and overall composition.
Old 02-01-20, 08:06 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,396 Times in 1,930 Posts
How do we think the honey would look on this bike? Without being able to see it before purchasing, I'm not so sure what I think.
Meh. Nobody can see the saddle when you're riding on it, anyway.
Old 02-01-20, 08:16 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Aesthetically, the Brooks "honey" colored products are pretty meh-looking. I think a lot of people think they're achieving a vintage look with a honey Brooks and the matching bar tape but in reality the honey color is a modern invention of Brooks and is out of place on vintage bikes. Same with the leather bar wrap - one of those products marketed to the "retro" market but wasn't actually around until the 2000s. Looks fake to me.
Old 02-01-20, 08:17 AM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 190 Posts
If you're definitely going with either black or honey/brown, I'd suggest black seat, toe straps and brake hoods.
Old 02-01-20, 10:13 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,568 Times in 3,766 Posts
A few years ago I faced this decision when overhauling my pink Trek 770. So I kitted it up with both black and with white saddles and bar tape to decide which I liked better.

Old 02-01-20, 11:21 AM
Roypercy

Originally Posted by cb400bill
A few years ago I faced this decision when overhauling my pink Trek 770. So I kitted it up with both black and with white saddles and bar tape to decide which I liked better.

Great idea! Both options look very good, which did you ultimately go with?
Old 02-01-20, 01:40 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 301 Posts
^This is excellent. I’m definitely in favor of the white version and makes me more comfortable with white saddle and bars on the pink bike. My brake hoods would probably have to stay black but I think I’d still opt for grey cable housings.
Old 02-01-20, 06:50 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,568 Times in 3,766 Posts
I went white, white, white
Likes For cb400bill: