Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Pictures Of Your Route

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Pictures Of Your Route

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-20, 11:30 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Mjac wanted sunrises or sunsets. Sunrise whilst riding along Hwy 8 towards Hamilton, Ontario, Canada and just leaving Cambridge, Ontario. Left side of the road as you head south.

Likes For Miele Man:
Old 02-29-20, 12:30 PM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilmingtech
I am blessed that I have a job that not only allows me to travel but I often get time to ride in many places around the country. This past year I got the chance to ride in Boston, San Diego, Glacier Park, San Francisco, San Jose and a few more. While I have many pictures of all those rides I will keep it on topic and post pics of regular rides I get from home.

Post anything you want. Some people might like to see what a ride is like in those cities. Throw in some descriptions so we can get a sense of what we are looking at...Thanks,mjac
Old 02-29-20, 12:41 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by Miele Man
Mjac wanted sunrises or sunsets. Sunrise whilst riding along Hwy 8 towards Hamilton, Ontario, Canada and just leaving Cambridge, Ontario. Left side of the road as you head south.

Are those in sequence? Those are in sequence of the same sunrise. Why hasn't anyone thought of that. You always see some beautiful shot of the sunrise or sunset by itself. I can't remember seeing something like this.
Old 02-29-20, 12:52 PM
mjac

It depends on the type of snow and how far you want to ride. Did you know that the Innuit have 100 different words for snow? The worst snow to ride in in my experience is the wet packing type of snow you'd use to build a snowman. It gets into the knobs of the tires and sticks and then slips. Keeping the front wheel pointed where you want to go can be quite challenging. Thats when a cut -down wooden ski/fender comes in very handy. Rotate the ski so that it's under the front tire, strap the skit to the tire and add a bracing rod so the ski doesn't go around and voila control is much easier. Or you can buy a front ski attachment and a ski-doo like rear drive Ktrack for your bike and get into some really serious snow riding.

Ktrak drive

Ktrack rear drive and front ski

Commercial front ski for fatbike

https://newatlas.com/avalanche-snow-...in-bike/37973/ Concept snowbike

Cheers
This and cyclamate saying he can ride a conventional in 8"-12" of snow. This is all new ground. I thought it snowed,you put the bike up. This does not appear to be the case.
Old 02-29-20, 01:16 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by Wilmingtech
I am blessed that I have a job that not only allows me to travel but I often get time to ride in many places around the country. This past year I got the chance to ride in Boston, San Diego, Glacier Park, San Francisco, San Jose and a few more. While I have many pictures of all those rides I will keep it on topic and post pics of regular rides I get from home.

Okay, I am going to ask the question everyone wants to know. How did you get such a beautiful wife?
Old 02-29-20, 01:20 PM
mjac

I often ride to Paris, Ontario and when I do I usually pick up the rail-trail that starts in Cambridge, Ontario and runs to Hamilton, Ontario. I'll ride that trail unless it's really busy or in winter the snow gets too deep to make riding the trail enjoyable or the ride to Paris too long in time.

A section of the Cambridge to Hamilton (Ontario, Canada) rail-trail.

Another section of the rail-trail.

Still heading south and now looking to the left.

This is about 12 km from the Cambridge end of the trail

Turtles live in here.

In spring you can see the turtle eggs holes and where some foxes dug some up.

A cool ride to Paris, Ontario on the rail-trail

It was a good bike but has since died.

A nice spot to take a break at.

Cheers
When are you going to get one of those pedaling snow mobiles and ride the Trail in the Deep Stuff?
Old 02-29-20, 10:24 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Originally Posted by mjac
Are those in sequence? Those are in sequence of the same sunrise. Why hasn't anyone thought of that. You always see some beautiful shot of the sunrise or sunset by itself. I can't remember seeing something like this.
Yes those are in sequence. It was a gorgeous morning and spot and I took lots of images starting shortly before sunrise.

An image just as the sun was rising = no flash.

Same area about the same time but with flash.

All my images were taken with a Canon PowerShot SX120 IS. IS stands for Image Stabilization. I can take images as I'm riding and they come out sharp. The camera fits inside a standard bicycling jersey rear pocket.

Cheers
Old 02-29-20, 10:26 PM
Miele Man

When are you going to get one of those pedaling snow mobiles and ride the Trail in the Deep Stuff?
The problem I see with one of those "pedaling snow mobiles" is getting it to the deep snow to ride it on. Besides, this winter the snow hasn't been too deep for my regular 26" x 2.125" knobby tires.

Cheers
Old 02-29-20, 10:30 PM
Miele Man

This and cyclamate saying he can ride a conventional in 8"-12" of snow. This is all new ground. I thought it snowed,you put the bike up. This does not appear to be the case.
For some of us, the bicycling season would be far too short if we put the bicycle up when the snow comes. Riding an MTB with 26" x 2.125" knobby tires in 4" or more of snow is an utterly fantastic workout. Sure has you in shape for the time when the regular bicycling season arrives. At the time the road bike just seems to fly.

Cheers
Old 02-29-20, 11:07 PM
mjac

Yes those are in sequence. It was a gorgeous morning and spot and I took lots of images starting shortly before sunrise.

An image just as the sun was rising = no flash.

Same area about the same time but with flash.

All my images were taken with a Canon PowerShot SX120 IS. IS stands for Image Stabilization. I can take images as I'm riding and they come out sharp. The camera fits inside a standard bicycling jersey rear pocket.

Cheers
Well, I thought it was stunning. It really moved me. It gave you the sense of the passage of time. I can't remember anyone else doing that. They take a single shot of the most beautiful moment and miss the passage. Did you do this intentionally or it just happened?
Old 02-29-20, 11:14 PM
mjac

The problem I see with one of those "pedaling snow mobiles" is getting it to the deep snow to ride it on. Besides, this winter the snow hasn't been too deep for my regular 26" x 2.125" knobby tires.

Cheers
Maybe you could tie one to your rear carrier.

Whats your our limit with the knobbies or studs? What depth?
Old 02-29-20, 11:29 PM
Miele Man

Maybe you could tie one to your rear carrier.

Whats your our limit with the knobbies or studs? What depth?
Studs don't do much for improving riding in deep snow. I've never used studs and that's because people on various forums said the studs don't do anything to improve traction on deep snow.

It depends on the type of snow as to how deep it is and still rideable with knobby tires. I've ridden snow that was so deep that the pedals went into it on every downstroke at the bottom of the stroke. that was light powder type snow. Snowball making snow is much harder to ride in as it accumulates so much on t he bike and it's slippery. If I was going to ride really deep snow on my 26" x 2.25" knobby tires I'd make or buy a set of bicycle tire chains and use those to greatly improve traction.

For really serious riding in snow check out Iditabike or Iditarod trail rides.

or Iditafat bike races.

I see that most are now using Fat Bikes. I like my 26" x 2.25" knobby tires as that bike is so versatile simply by changing tires.

Cheers
Old 02-29-20, 11:31 PM
mjac

For some of us, the bicycling season would be far too short if we put the bicycle up when the snow comes. Riding an MTB with 26" x 2.125" knobby tires in 4" or more of snow is an utterly fantastic workout. Sure has you in shape for the time when the regular bicycling season arrives. At the time the road bike just seems to fly.

Cheers
But is it any fun? Like fighting the elements? I will bet with a fresh snow drop the air could not be any more clearer or crisper. That has to be exhilarating.
Old 02-29-20, 11:37 PM
Miele Man

But is it any fun? Like fighting the elements? I will bet with a fresh snow drop the air could not be any more clearer or crisper. That has to be exhilarating.
Fun? Yes it can be great fun. Sometimes if the snow is fresh and soft enough you can ride along in near absolute silence. Talk about de-stressing. It's so peaceful and relaxing. Often I'm reminded of Simon and Garfunkel's THE SOUND OF SILENCE. Plus you can see so much further into the forests than you can in summer when the trees are in leaf. You just need to dress appropriately in layers.

Cheers
Old 02-29-20, 11:51 PM
mjac

Studs don't do much for improving riding in deep snow. I've never used studs and that's because people on various forums said the studs don't do anything to improve traction on deep snow.

It depends on the type of snow as to how deep it is and still rideable with knobby tires. I've ridden snow that was so deep that the pedals went into it on every downstroke at the bottom of the stroke. that was light powder type snow. Snowball making snow is much harder to ride in as it accumulates so much on t he bike and it's slippery. If I was going to ride really deep snow on my 26" x 2.25" knobby tires I'd make or buy a set of bicycle tire chains and use those to greatly improve traction.

For really serious riding in snow check out Iditabike or Iditarod trail rides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgvJK30mxOc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8pRqAoMVZg

or Iditafat bike races.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjjVNZN3AI0

I see that most are now using Fat Bikes. I like my 26" x 2.25" knobby tires as that bike is so versatile simply by changing tires.

Cheers
Well they sure ain't 700 X 23s
Old 02-29-20, 11:55 PM
mjac

Fun? Yes it can be great fun. Sometimes if the snow is fresh and soft enough you can ride along in near absolute silence. Talk about de-stressing. It's so peaceful and relaxing. Often I'm reminded of Simon and Garfunkel's THE SOUND OF SILENCE. Plus you can see so much further into the forests than you can in summer when the trees are in leaf. You just need to dress appropriately in layers.

Cheers
That sounds like a great time,while everyone else has there bikes locked away.
Old 03-01-20, 12:16 AM
Miele Man

Well they sure ain't 700 X 23s
No, but for road riding you can get 26" x 1.0" which is equivalent to 25mm. Only $21.38 a pair.

Might get myself a couple of pairs and save the shipping cost. LOl

Cheers
Old 03-01-20, 12:40 AM
Miele Man

Well, I thought it was stunning. It really moved me. It gave you the sense of the passage of time. I can't remember anyone else doing that. They take a single shot of the most beautiful moment and miss the passage. Did you do this intentionally or it just happened?
I took about 150 images of that sunrise and deliberately took them as a series to show the sunrise as it progressed. Some of the images were of the ducks that came up to share my muffin as I rested by the pond.

Some other images were of small fish that came up to eat the crumbs that fell into the water when I was feeding the ducks.

Cheers

Last edited by Miele Man; 03-01-20 at 12:41 AM. Reason: added comment
Old 03-01-20, 09:20 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,545 Times in 7,329 Posts
When riding in rural Vermont you need to be prepared to lose pavement at any moment.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-01-20, 09:25 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
It is possible to ride in 8" - 12" of snow? I had no idea. I didn't think you could ride in snow at all.
It’s a lot of work and you aren’t likely to attempt a century doing it...a 1/10th century would be a tough ride...but it’s doable.

Thats the the question I wanted to ask BobbyG. There are snow conditions, like you said 3" to 4" of fresh snow, that are fun to ride, not only doable,but a lot of fun? Like I asked BobbyG, what about pot holes and obstructions in the street you can not see under the snow?
You deal with them. Snow takes some of the edge off potholes as it slightly fills them. There’s a lot of technique to riding in snow and slick conditions but it’s not unlike riding a mountain bike. I use suspension so it’s not much of an issue. Nothing that I’ve encountered on a road or bike path has been worse than the most mellow mountain bike trail.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-01-20, 09:31 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,545 Times in 7,329 Posts
Random sunrise/sets.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-01-20, 09:39 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts

I don’t agree. I’m not a fan of studs. I hate riding them. I hate their weight and the sound that they make especially when the snow has melted. But they are effective in snow conditions. Snow is seldom consistently the same. Fresh snow may be over old snow. Fresh...and old...snow may be covering ice. Fresh snow gets packed and can be made into ice is a short period.

I spent years riding knobbies. I even had a homemade “studded” tire that I never used for about 20 years because it was so heavy. I also spent years crashing. I have commercial studs now which are quite a bit lighter but still heavier than regular...and already heavy...knobbed tires and I still don’t like them. But when the conditions call for studs there is nothing that matches them.

But enough with the snow. From a 1986 mountain bike tour

Rock Point above Breckenridge.

Rocky Point, Boreas Pass, 8/12/85 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

Baker’s Tank on the Boreas Pass section of the Denver, South Park and Pacific Railroad. I did this ride in mid-August and the snow on the peaks above the tank was fresh fallen from the night before. About 4 inches.

Bakers Tank, 8/12/85 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

About a quarter mile uphill from the tank there is a sandstone wall where people carved their names. They were probably workers building the line

Signatures above Bakers Tank, 8/12/85 by Stuart Black, on Flickr
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 03-01-20 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-01-20, 09:54 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Threads like these always make me jealous and envious of you guys that live in the mountains and hilly areas. I would post some photos of where I ride but I don't think anyone would be impressed with looking at woods, large areas of palmetto trees and swamp land.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 03-01-20, 10:13 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by cyccommute
It’s a lot of work and you aren’t likely to attempt a century doing it...a 1/10th century would be a tough ride...but it’s doable.

You deal with them. Snow takes some of the edge off potholes as it slightly fills them. There’s a lot of technique to riding in snow and slick conditions but it’s not unlike riding a mountain bike. I use suspension so it’s not much of an issue. Nothing that I’ve encountered on a road or bike path has been worse than the most mellow mountain bike trail.
Yeah, Miele Man mentioned that it is a heck of a workout. Gets you in shape for the road season. But in snow areas you have to ride in it or the season would be too short.

If you are riding with suspension on a mountain bike I presume with some nice mountain bike tires I can see where you might survive. But if it ever snowed down here and I was lolly gogling along on my 700x23 tired road bike and hit one of our famous pot holes that was under the snow I didn't see it would be aleeoop over the handlebars into a full swan dive face plant. I don't see how you all do it at speed on a commute while looking out for all the commute things you have to look out for. But can it be fun?
Old 03-01-20, 10:15 AM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts

This is the Welland Viaduct as you ride out of Harringworth. I’m on the way to Uppingham to loop back home.

This was my first ride near my house that I really enjoyed during this first year in the UK. Apparently this is one of the longest Viaducts in the UK, my pic is only a small portion but it’s pretty neat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.