Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Why isn't touring just called bikepacking?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Why isn't touring just called bikepacking?

Old 09-02-20, 10:51 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 189 Posts
So I rode with a woman a few years back who used a cycle cross, Adventure, or gravel bike and used only bags strapped to the bike for her gear. But we spent 100% of our time on tarmac. Was she bikepacking or was she touring? I know what I would call it.
Old 09-02-20, 11:44 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by str
you have done 1500mile tours, wait, I have to transfer this into KM. so... it is 2400km, is that a lot? looks normal to me, nothing what a bike touring guy or some guy with some bags strapped onto the bike can't do.
Well it’s nothing that a “guy with some bags strapped onto a bike can’t do” as long as they have the time to do it. It’s not something that most people would do in a week nor two weeks nor, for that matter, 3 weeks. I suppose I could have done it in 15 days but that more “de France” “than tour”. Even at 3 weeks, that’s more racing from point to point than enjoying the ride. At 50 miles per day (80 km to save you the conversion), that’s 30 straight days of riding. I don’t tour just to cover miles. Most people don’t as well.

but please skip the traffic ;(). enjoy breathing fresh air and unspoiled nature.

paved roads is not nature.
Paved roads pass through nature. I live in an area with lots and lots and lots of open space and I couldn’t route 1500 miles here in the US West without using a significant amount of paved roads. Paved roads tend to lead to places where people live. More importantly, they tend to lead to where people have food. It’s probably possible to carry 30 to 50 days of food, fuel, and water but why? We have grocery stores. It’s not like we are all crossing Antarctica.

Originally Posted by str
""""most people would find more enjoyment in using a bike that was designed for the purpose."""""

do you talk fo a group of people, or only for yourself?
I’ve participated in many organized rides as well as lead many organized rides...both road and mountain bike. People on mountain bikes generally find rides off-road to be easier and more enjoyable on a purpose designed mountain bike than on a skinny tired road bike. There are some who are masochistic enough to enjoy the ride on skinny tired bikes but they are a bit of an outlier. When the road turns to rock, most...yes, most... people appreciate the suspension of a mountain bike.

"""Yes, you can use bikepacking gear on a road bike but it’s a really crappy way to carry gear if you don’t need the clearance to ride over rocks."""

a road bike with Bikepacking gear? I thought we are talking about touring and bikepacking, no road bikes come in....... a road bike over rocks, of course not! a touring bike with full packed panniers over rocks? of course not!
You haven’t been following the discussion very well. The original question was “Why isn't touring just called bikepacking?” Tourist in MSN posted a road bike with bikepacking gear. Many others in other threads have done the same and many people are calling anything involved with bicycle touring “bikepacking” because of the availability of bikepacking bags. I’ve seen lots and lots of posts from people with traditional 5 bag setups (front panniers, rear panniers, and handlebar bags) call their activity “bikepacking”.You haven’t been following the discussion very well. The original question was “Why isn't touring just called bikepacking?” Tourist in MSN posted a road bike with bikepacking gear. Many others in other threads have done the same and many people are calling anything involved with bicycle touring “bikepacking” because of the availability of bikepacking bags. I’ve seen lots and lots of posts from people with traditional 5 bag setups (front panniers, rear panniers, and handlebar bags) call their activity “bikepacking”.

a low trail geometry with 40-50mm tires over rocks! yes please! )
You are doing a bit of preaching to the choir. I use 55 mm tires but I also add suspension so that I don’t have to pick my way rocky hills.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-02-20, 01:06 PM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 221 Posts
good to know that you have grocery stores, the food in most of your ""restaurants"" is not eatable.
Old 09-02-20, 02:19 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by str
good to know that you have grocery stores, the food in most of your ""restaurants"" is not eatable.
You are just on a tear, aren’t you? I seem to recall someone complaining about using the term “most”. We aren’t a food backwater as a nation. We have thousands, if not 10s of thousands of very good restaurants all across the nation. Some are high class restaurants and some are holes in the wall. Some of those holes in the wall are just as good as any top level European restaurant and a whole lot cheaper. I can point you to any number of them within 25 miles of my house and hundreds within my state.

I will say that bicycle touring, especially off-road bikepacking, isn’t the best way to sample the local cuisine because there isn’t any “local” cuisine. Most of the places I stay for a night are located an unreasonable distance by bicycle from anywhere to eat. If I’m way out in the boonies, I’m eating the cuisine of lyophilization. About all you can say about that cuisine is that it resembles food.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 09-02-20 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-02-20, 05:40 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18322 Post(s)
Liked 15,303 Times in 7,232 Posts
I found the definitive answer. I must be correct because actual is in all caps.

Old 09-03-20, 11:30 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4254 Post(s)
Liked 3,867 Times in 2,580 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz

https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=I...&v=IxZW3pTkIoU

EVERYTHING IN ALL CAPS IS ALWAYS TRUE. You wouldn't shout a lie at someone, ever. Those Fern bikes are pretty sexy though, this one he had an article about really caught my eye. Yeah odd racks and stuff for weird bags but I love it.

FACT #1 : DR. PEPPER IS MADE FROM GRINDING UP REAL DOCTORS IN A PEPPER MILL.
FACT #2 : ELVIS PRESLEY IS ACTUALLY A MARTIAN ROBOT.
FACT #3 : TURTLES HAVE HIDDEN WINGS IN THEIR SHELLS AND CAN FLY
Old 09-03-20, 04:12 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz

https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=I...&v=IxZW3pTkIoU
That was a pretty good video. Short with adequate detail.
Old 09-04-20, 11:32 PM
hkhailey

Bikes: 1995 GT Arrette

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Why isn't touring just called bikepacking?

No Brainer.
Bike Touring is going places on a bicycle.
Bike Packing is prepping the bike for shipment.

Which would you rather do?

Last edited by hkhailey; 09-04-20 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Add Quote
Old 09-05-20, 06:55 PM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Why isn’t traveling called packing your bags?