Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Size advices???

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-20, 02:39 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 174 Posts
Size advices???

Hi,
i m looking into gravel bikes, more specifically, planet x and cinelli but others could do too.

i am right on the limit between M and L or 54 and 56. So what should I do?
go for the shorter and fit a longer handle bar stem or go for the bigger and fit a shorter stem?
also, if I go bigger, is there and advantage to fit a shorter crank set 165/170 instead of 175?

thanks
Old 09-22-20, 04:26 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 798 Times in 475 Posts
I would go bigger and use a shorter stem. That gives you more toe clearance to the front wheel and gets the front wheel a bit further in front of you for more confidence when descending on bumpy terrain. For the crankset, I would go with whatever you currently ride.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 09-22-20, 06:37 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 174 Posts
I sketched various configuration using the data from Cinelli

Old 09-22-20, 07:22 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Whichever you pick don't exceed your standover height. The other parts of the bike can basically be changed to fit.
Old 09-22-20, 07:53 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by Fentuz

You are over thinking this. Get the larger bike and put on a shorter stem. Longer wheelbase = more stable ride.
Old 09-22-20, 08:43 AM
RocThrower

Bikes: Space Horse Disc, Domane SL5 Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
I'm between most 54 and 56 frames and never know what to pick. I paid for a fancy bike fit only to be told I could ride either size. I usually ride 56, but a few years back I built up a 54 under the advice of 'it's always easier to make a smaller bike bigger" and I ended up hating it. I never got comfortable on it, even with a 120 stem. The last bike I got was a 56 and it feels great. I have a longer torso and shorter legs, so I don't have much exposed seat post, but I'm very comfortable and like the handling. As far as cranks, most bikes in these sizes come with 172.5, and that's all I've ever ridden.
Old 09-22-20, 09:10 AM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
I would go with the advice above assuming you can't go ride both sizes before buying
Old 09-22-20, 09:51 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Bingo.

I was in the same place between 54 and 56, and mail ordering a bike.
I bought both, tried them out with various stems, and kept the one I liked better.
Seriously, if you are spending the coin on a new bike, its worth $50 shipping charge to try them both out
(FYI, I bought a Canyon, and the return shipping was $0. There was zero cost to me trying out two bikes).
Yes, stand over height can be critical (especially if you have a horizontal top tube).

I ended up with the smaller one because I liked the more lively handling, the shorter reach ultimately was more comfortable, and I liked the standover height.
remember, with more seat tube exposed, you are going to get a lot more comfortable ride with a good carbon seat post.
(I put a comfy high $$$ carbon seat post on a bike that fit me like a glove, but had very little seat post exposed. There was zero comfort benefit from the carbon seat post on that bike).
All things being equal, the shorter frame will be more lively, the larger one will be more stable.

good luck with your choice
Likes For chas58:
Old 09-22-20, 12:47 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by Fentuz

figure out measurements of a bike that fits you well. then compare that to the geometry of bikes you like and pick the size that is closest.
Likes For mstateglfr: