Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Giant revolt Advanced v Trek checkpoint SL6

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-20, 08:57 AM
Grimfish74

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Simple I can the 2020 checkpoint now or wait until November for the Revolt, so if anyone has owned or had a demo on both your advice would be appreciated thanks.
Old 09-07-20, 09:07 AM
pipeliner

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Grimfish74
Simple I can the 2020 checkpoint now or wait until November for the Revolt, so if anyone has owned or had a demo on both your advice would be appreciated thanks.
They are similar bikes, the iso-speed works well and if the bars and wheels are equal, I'd get the Trek.
Old 09-07-20, 09:39 AM
flacplnj

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Grimfish74

I own a 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL6. It is a great riding bike. The only negative is the seat mast saddle adjustment.

If you re interested in the Checkpoint I would recommend the 2021 over the 2020 unless you are getting a great deal. The 2021 comes in a gorgeous blue smoke, where the 2020 is black. The 2021 also is equipped with the GRX groupset vs the 2020 Ultegra. The ISO speed is not just a gimmick. There is a very significant ride difference with it.. Finally if you would ever want to upgrade to the GRX DI2 The SL6 will only need the upgrade kit instead of a complete groupset. Happy shopping.
Likes For flacplnj:
Old 09-08-20, 06:46 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Have no experience with the Checkpoint, but love my Revolt. The 2021 models come with GRX, and are now di2 compatible (I ordered a new Advanced 2 and they're going to upgrade it to GRX di2 for me, since the Pro model won't be available till after the new year). Very comfortable and stable, and works well as a road bike too with a second wheelset. Another plus for Giant, is their warranty, two years crash replacement.
Old 09-08-20, 02:53 PM
Grimfish74

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Bought the Trek pick up in Thursday can’t wait.
Likes For Grimfish74:
Old 09-09-20, 05:56 PM
jcg878

Bikes: make me happy

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Congrats! I rode both and bought the Revolt. If I didn't have a road bike though, I think the Trek is a better 'do-it-all' bike.
Old 09-10-20, 11:13 AM
Grimfish74

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Picked up today and after a 2 hour ride very pleased with the bike. I took it on the road at first and was quite surprised how well it moved the wheels rolled nicely and I averaged 17/18 mph which wasn’t much below my road bike average on a nice day.
On to the gravel and this is where the bike excels, It was my first ever ride on a gravel bike and after only 5 mins the ride was already pure joy, now I know what I’ve been missing!
The bike rode beautifully almost feeling like the bike was floating over the gravel the wheels roll really well, I then did some single track and it was much the same In absolute comfort just what I wanted.
I had planned to upgrade the wheels with some Hunt 35s but unless they’re going to vastly improve what is already a decent set of stock wheels then I’m not sure if to bother?
I will be changing the stem ASAP from 100 to 80mm as it is way to long for me, I will probably change the bar as well down the line as it felt slightly heavy and to wide if anyone can recommend a good gravel bar?
As for the negatives the main one being the saddle and it was horrible, I started to notice it after about 40mins and my butt cheeks hated it, I tried to ride out of the saddle as much as possible for the last hour it was that bad as smooth as the bike the saddle just kills the ride so will be changing soon as.
The other and it’s only a minor gripe Is the tyres as good as they were on road and gravel they weren't great in A section of soft mud I had to pass, I still rode through ok but I felt there wasn’t much grip, I’m not an expert but I don’t think the tred is deep enough.

Anyway overall a great bike so far and I will post again after 500 miles or so to see if I still feel the same.

Last edited by Grimfish74; 09-10-20 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-10-20, 11:36 AM
jcg878

Can't help you directly, but I'll say that swapping the stock wheels of my Revolt with a set of used, cheap carbon wheels transformed the ride. I don't remember the Checkpoint's ride being as sluggish as the Revolt though, so YMMV.

The D-Fuse bar on the Revolt is fantastic. My road bike is a 2013 Domane with Isospeed in the rear only like your Checkpoint, and the feel of the handlebars of the Revolt whoops it. The drops in particular soak up the bumps well - I love them.
Old 09-11-20, 03:18 AM
Grimfish74

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jcg878
Can't help you directly, but I'll say that swapping the stock wheels of my Revolt with a set of used, cheap carbon wheels transformed the ride. I don't remember the Checkpoint's ride being as sluggish as the Revolt though, so YMMV.

The D-Fuse bar on the Revolt is fantastic. My road bike is a 2013 Domane with Isospeed in the rear only like your Checkpoint, and the feel of the handlebars of the Revolt whoops it. The drops in particular soak up the bumps well - I love them.
Did you have the isospeed on the front of your Domane? Surprised Trek haven’t added this to this years bikes as this is the weak point, Not a big problem for me as the wheels soak up a lot of the impact although I am looking to replace for a carbon drop bar just for some more comfort.
Old 09-22-20, 12:53 PM
jcg878

Nope, just the rear. I don't know why they didn't do that on the Checkpoint- I figured it would be a quick revision. Maybe next generation.

If i was going to change the handlebars on my Domane, I'd go with the Giant D-Fuse bars if they fit. They really are wonderful.