Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is this a good price? Giant TCR Compact

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-19, 10:53 AM
OhLylo

Bikes: FX3 Frankenbike, Emonda SL5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Been looking for a racier bike to ride on weekends to complement my FX3 for commuting. I found a Giant TCR on my local craigslist for $475. Model year is unknown - seller says it's new/less than 10 ridden miles, but also that they got it at a garage sale, so who knows there. Google suggests it's from 2011-ish but, again, it's hard to say. The labeling on the frame indicates it's Aluxx SL with a carbon fork, and the components are Ultegra (2x9, not sure which generation that makes it). There are a ton of pictures and it looks as new as advertised. Seller lists the model as TCR Compact Road SL.

Think this is worth an hour drive to check out/buy? The seller is firm on price so no room to drive out and haggle.
Old 03-07-19, 11:01 AM
chicagogal

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by OhLylo
Been looking for a racier bike to ride on weekends to complement my FX3 for commuting. I found a Giant TCR on my local craigslist for $475. Model year is unknown - seller says it's new/less than 10 ridden miles, but also that they got it at a garage sale, so who knows there. Google suggests it's from 2011-ish but, again, it's hard to say. The labeling on the frame indicates it's Aluxx SL with a carbon fork, and the components are Ultegra (2x9, not sure which generation that makes it). There are a ton of pictures and it looks as new as advertised. Seller lists the model as TCR Compact Road SL.

Think this is worth an hour drive to check out/buy? The seller is firm on price so no room to drive out and haggle.
That 9spd stuff is pretty old. Definitely older than 2011. I'd pass.
Old 03-07-19, 11:08 AM
OhLylo

Bikes: FX3 Frankenbike, Emonda SL5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by chicagogal
That 9spd stuff is pretty old. Definitely older than 2011. I'd pass.
That was a good direction to look in. Found it on bikepedia, it's a 2004. Definitely older than I thought, and based on their price guidelines, overpriced. Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-07-19, 01:13 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
It's a pretty nice bike. Hard to tell exactly what you are looking at without a link. 9 speed Ultegra was a nice groupset. If it really is all like new condition and it fits then it would be a decent first road bike. If you are are in the LA area as your profile says then I would expect to pay at least $350-400 for that bike in the local market. Used bikes tend to be more expensive here then other parts of the country. I wouldn't drive an hour to pay $475 but it will probably won't sell for that so wait a week or two and make an lower offer. I'd also be 100% sure it's the correct size for you before driving an hour even if the price is right
Old 03-07-19, 05:06 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
I love giant and I would take a hard pass on that one. If you want to buy it I wouldn't pay more than $150 or so. Even then I would have a hard time. If I was buying it at the shop to re-sell it I would offer $50. I would re-sell it for $200 maybe - knowing I would probably have to drop some off the price.

Old 03-07-19, 05:31 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked 1,371 Times in 720 Posts
The bugger with older brifter systems is the hardened grease in the shifters or worn shift mechanisms.
Old 03-07-19, 05:56 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I love giant and I would take a hard pass on that one. If you want to buy it I wouldn't pay more than $150 or so. Even then I would have a hard time. If I was buying it at the shop to re-sell it I would offer $50. I would re-sell it for $200 maybe - knowing I would probably have to drop some off the price.
Looking at recent ebay auctions you could easily get $150-200 for the 9 speed Ultegra group and I see similar generation aluminum TCR frameset sold for $150-200 recently. So if you could get it for $50 then you could definitely make a decent profit parting it out. I agree that where you are located it may sell for $200 or less. In LA area I have seen much more well used aluminum bikes of that generation selling for $300
Old 03-08-19, 01:53 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
The bugger with older brifter systems is the hardened grease in the shifters or worn shift mechanisms.
there are a ton of solutions for that. As a shop we encounter it nearly daily as people bring in old bikes. I joke there is nothing like the smell of old Shimano shifter grease.

Hot water - either pouring it over the shifter or pulling the sifter and soaking it in hot water then repeatedly actuating the shifter through the shift cycle for like 5-10 minutes straight usually does it. the third technique is repeatedly soaking the shifter in rubbing alcohol/camp fuel. soack - actuate - blow it out with compressed air. Repeat. Some people will blow it with tri-flow or other lube but that just ends up causing more problem down the line in my opinion.