Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Help decide for PNW trails!

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 09-11-20, 10:43 AM
emanuel_v19

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

A little about me: beginner, want to get better at drops, jumps, don't mind climbing, want something long term.

A little about the trails: I live in Seattle and plan to ride all of PNW. Lots of roots, steep downhills, and chunky trails. Maybe go to the bike parks in a year when I get more comfortable.

​​​​​​Looking something more for the long term but i know I may need to upgrade parts as I get better at riding. I tried my friends giant trance and really fit me well and enjoyed the geometry.

Please help me decide which one!

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/mountain-bikes/trail-bikes/neuron/neuron-al-7.0/2515.html?dwvar_2515_pv_rahmenfarbe=BK%2FGY

https://www.rideroslyn.com/product/rocky-mountain-altitude-alloy-30-371110-1.htm

Thank you!
Old 09-11-20, 10:58 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by emanuel_v19
Hi all,

A little about me: beginner, want to get better at drops, jumps, don't mind climbing, want something long term.

A little about the trails: I live in Seattle and plan to ride all of PNW. Lots of roots, steep downhills, and chunky trails. Maybe go to the bike parks in a year when I get more comfortable.

​​​​​​Looking something more for the long term but i know I may need to upgrade parts as I get better at riding. I tried my friends giant trance and really fit me well and enjoyed the geometry.

Please help me decide which one!

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/mountai...nfarbe=BK%2FGY

https://www.rideroslyn.com/product/r...0-371110-1.htm

Thank you!
Usually hard to beat Giants price point. You could get the Trance 2 for the same price as that Canyon.
Have you considered local brand Transition?
Old 09-11-20, 11:00 AM
emanuel_v19

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They have my size atm for the rocky mtn. Also, my budget is $3000. Transition bikes are out of my budget.
Old 09-11-20, 11:10 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts
Why not just go to the bike park now?
There is a such a thing as "over-biked."
You'd be surprised what you can & your current bike can do. Besides, you'll have mad skillz when you upgrade in the future.

There's nothing sadder than seeing someone on a $3,000 bike that can't pick a line or bunnyhop a tree root.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 09-19-20, 02:47 PM
roskobosko

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I wouldn't worry about over-biked nonsense - you know what your budget is, learn on the best bike you are comfortable purchasing. If you feel you need to upgrade your skills before going to the bike park and you let someone talk you into going, that would be sad and foolish. Ideally, try before you buy, if that isn't an option, buy something similar to what you have ridden in the past that you liked. Enjoy!
Old 09-21-20, 04:48 PM
eshew

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 29 Posts
I'd hold off and scour craigslist, facebook & pinkbike for a good condition gently used bike. Prices should start dropping and with the terrible weather you should have less competition.

How tall are you? Looks like the Altitude is only an XS. Wouldn't trust canyon as they are only mail order and any warranty issues can take a LOOOONG TIME.

What bike are you riding now?

There's a large RM altitude 750 on Seattle offerup for $1750 if it's your size, great deal. Also a medium trek fuel for $1600. Both look to be carbon.

Last edited by eshew; 09-22-20 at 09:15 AM.