Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shimano hydraulic Di2 reliability

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Shimano hydraulic Di2 reliability

Old 12-13-19, 04:02 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by pataspen
My next trip is likely a 1000 mile bikepacking/gravel/offroad journey through California, Nevada and Utah. I will be a few days between towns, so reliability is a must. But the whole idea of hydraulic brakes and electronic shifting does sound pretty cool.
I love electronic shifting. I have it on every bike I own, except for one on a trainer. That said, I sure wouldn't want to carry a charger on a touring bike or worry about being "days between towns."
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-13-19, 08:26 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
I wouldn't take any bike on a long tour anywhere, whether the U.S. or some corner of the developing world where it's impossible to find spare parts, without riding it for a while first. I would want at least 500-1000 miles on it to shake out any issues before I'd trust it and consider it reliable. New bikes, or just new to you, often need a dial-in period. If nothing else, even if it's perfectly reliable, how do you know that it's comfortable?

$200 sounds like a steal, even if something isn't right with it. Then go ride it and fix any problems you may encounter. If the battery doesn't hold a charge it's easy enough to replace.
Likes For sfrider: