Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

07 Uptown vs. 07 Fusion: interesting

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-07, 01:26 PM
gbrandt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As mentioned in another thread, Breezer will have me waiting until March until an Uptown8 is available in my size (21.5" 2006 diamond frames being sold out). Soooo....I have a bit of a wandering eye until then. I bought my wife a 2006 Citizen last month.

Also in another thread, someone posted a pic of the new 07 Novara Fusion. It seems these two bikes compare very favorably now. However, the Breezer will come in at $1100 (up from $900) vs. the Fusion's $749.

Here's what I think are the main differences:

1. Tires: Fusion 700's vs. Uptown's 26's (kevlar)

2. Brakes: Fusion rollers vs. Uptown's V's

3. Lights: Fusion rear is battery + has generator driven Halogen up front. Uptown rear is generator driven + standlight. LED's

4. Can't tell if Fusion 07 uses the Nexus premium 8 or not. 06 didn't. Breezer does.

5. Breezer has integrated O lock and fully enclosed chain.

6. For me at least in Orange Cty CA, REI store 10 minutes away. Nearest Breezer LBS 40 miles away.

Did I miss anything?

So...depending on the answer to #4, is the Fusion extremely well priced or is the Breezer over-priced? Seems like $350 is a lot to pay for an O lock... ;-)

The Premium 8 is probably a show stopper based on feedback in this forum.

Otherwise, might boil down to different commuting philosophies - 700's longer/faster smoother rides. 26's lower/stable good for more starts & stops & trailers????

Thoughts?

-gb
Old 01-04-07, 01:56 PM
thdave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gbrandt
As mentioned in another thread, Breezer will have me waiting until March until an Uptown8 is available in my size (21.5" 2006 diamond frames being sold out). Soooo....I have a bit of a wandering eye until then. I bought my wife a 2006 Citizen last month.

Also in another thread, someone posted a pic of the new 07 Novara Fusion. It seems these two bikes compare very favorably now. However, the Breezer will come in at $1100 (up from $900) vs. the Fusion's $749.

Here's what I think are the main differences:

1. Tires: Fusion 700's vs. Uptown's 26's (kevlar)

2. Brakes: Fusion rollers vs. Uptown's V's

3. Lights: Fusion rear is battery + has generator driven Halogen up front. Uptown rear is generator driven + standlight. LED's

4. Can't tell if Fusion 07 uses the Nexus premium 8 or not. 06 didn't. Breezer does.

5. Breezer has integrated O lock and fully enclosed chain.

6. For me at least in Orange Cty CA, REI store 10 minutes away. Nearest Breezer LBS 40 miles away.

Did I miss anything?

So...depending on the answer to #4, is the Fusion extremely well priced or is the Breezer over-priced? Seems like $350 is a lot to pay for an O lock... ;-)

The Premium 8 is probably a show stopper based on feedback in this forum.

Otherwise, might boil down to different commuting philosophies - 700's longer/faster smoother rides. 26's lower/stable good for more starts & stops & trailers????

Thoughts?

-gb
gb--I'd wait on this until the 2007 specs for the Breezer come out.

A couple of comments--the frames are different--the Breezer's made out of a better grade of aluminum and it has a chro-moly fork. I think the wheels are better and some Breezer components are upgrades, too. That's not to say that the Novara isn't a good bike--to be honest, I don't know what difference those components make. My situation was opposite yours--REI is 200 miles away while Breezer is nearby.

I would also think that the REI price is fixed and that you might be able to negociate the Breezer price some.
Old 01-04-07, 07:56 PM
gbrandt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Breezer 07 specs/upgrades over 06 - only thing so far is LED lights, Kevlar reinforced tires and fully enclosed chain. Other than that, no specifics...hopefully they post soon.

-gb