Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Did you ride today?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Did you ride today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-19, 08:40 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
72 miles and about 800 feet of elevation gain. Started well before dawn and was headed east as the sun came up right behind Mt. Hood. Just spectacular. Also got to see lots of cute bunnies scurrying away as I drove through. Very cheerful for a guy who struggles a lot with depression.

Last edited by bpcyclist; 11-07-19 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-07-19, 09:20 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
I made it to downtown (city hall) last night, 11.6 miles one way. Holy carp my new bike is fast (-er than my old one). I thought it would be a big deal when I first conceived of reaching downtown, but nothing to it, that's less than rides I've been doing already.

Of course, that was after midnight. It'll be more of a headache with traffic. That's next.

Originally Posted by bpcyclist
I was horrified to find my taillight in the "off" position. I had forgotten to turn it on. Riding right in the center of a fairly sizable urban city with no taillight. Idiot.
I did that last night. Three miles down the road and neither my headlight nor taillight were on. My helmet lighting is much brighter than my headlight so no problem in front, but I was dark in back. Idiot.

Last edited by rseeker; 11-07-19 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-08-19, 05:13 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Cold,foggy,damp,dreary morning today. I think it's time to slow down the use of the steel steeds with the damp paths. Time to use my cf more:

IMG_0776 by 2cam16, on Flickr
Yeah, the San Mateo bridge is out there,somewhere, in the background. lol

IMG_0777 by 2cam16, on Flickr
Old 11-09-19, 10:06 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Spouse talked me into a bike ride with her yesterday - weather OK but low 30's. 11 very local miles at a relaxed pace except for my HIIT Hill which is just long and steep enough for a good two minute workout when I push it.
Did I mention my fingers felt quite cold in spite of ski gloves over polyester liner gloves?
Old 11-09-19, 02:22 PM
bpcyclist

Got going a little late for me this morning, just after 6, and headed up the hill to a famous ride here called Skyline. Pretty steep in spots. Bit foggy up there, low 40s, not a ton of traffic, thankfully. Poor road conditions sucked all the fun out of it.

Anyhow, got home alive. 39 miles and just about 1900 feet of elevation gain. Good workout.
Old 11-09-19, 02:49 PM
ultrarider7

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Varsity, 1985 Trek 410, 1985 Peugeot P 8, 2021 Pinarello Dogma F12, 2022 Cannondale Topstone Alloy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 1,102 Times in 327 Posts
Not going to be many rides left in 2019

Old 11-10-19, 09:23 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Big taste of winter coming in the next few days so..................got out for a 20 mile ride with spouse this afternoon in partly sunny, upper 50's conditions. Stopped at a small park in Johnson County and found signs on restroom doors - "closed for winter" but this park always has at least one porta-potty by that building.
Old 11-10-19, 10:03 PM
momsonherbike

Bikes: All mine are electric bikes now

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Winter Is Coming (to Virginia) so gotta get out now before it gets too cold. 13.5 miles today of stop-n-go to pick up road litter enroute on my adopted stretch of road. Got my road spotlessly cleaned (litter filled my panniers and was dumped off into an orange bag up the route where I'd conveniently placed it at my Adopt-a-Highway sign earlier last week), then off to loop back and enjoy the gravel roads heading home. A bit too many day-trippers hitting the rural roads that lead to the breweries, but they were all careful and considerate....and probably wondering what the heck this crazy cyclist was doing out biking in the cold.

Not cold yet, folks! All bets are off for next week, however.
Old 11-11-19, 01:23 AM
rseeker

Last night, 20.4 miles. The city is annexing another couple hundred acres of county land, so I wanted a good look at it before before it goes under the blades.
Old 11-11-19, 02:40 AM
bpcyclist

Originally Posted by rseeker
Last night, 20.4 miles. The city is annexing another couple hundred acres of county land, so I wanted a good look at it before before it goes under the blades.
I lived in Nashville and Atlanta for several years. would it be too forward of me to ask what city you are referring to? No problem at all if you'd rather not and if that is the case, then, my apologies for asking.
Old 11-11-19, 03:39 AM
GTryder

Bikes: 1993 Trek 520 Touring, 2009 Globe SF 2, 2011 Giant Dash 3, 2011 GT Traffic 3.0, 2011 GT Traffic 5.0, 2012 GT Aggressor 3.0, 2014 Surface 604 Element

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Winter Night Ride

Back in the saddle after 6 weeks of Post-Op recovery. -16 Celsius or 3 degrees Fahrenheit.

Likes For GTryder:
Old 11-11-19, 03:55 AM
bpcyclist

You were moving!
Old 11-11-19, 04:53 AM
rseeker

I lived in Nashville and Atlanta for several years. would it be too forward of me to ask what city you are referring to? No problem at all if you'd rather not and if that is the case, then, my apologies for asking.
No problem at all, but I reserve the right to delete this post after a while (and please don't direct-quote it) because I have internet personas where I talk about where I live, some where I talk about tech, some where I talk politics, and this one is *mostly* not those.

[EDIT: Talked about this elsewhere.]

Why do you ask?

You said you're in Portland?

Last edited by rseeker; 01-30-20 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-11-19, 05:25 AM
bpcyclist

Originally Posted by rseeker
No problem at all, but I reserve the right to delete this post after a while (and please don't direct-quote it) because I have internet personas where I talk about where I live, some where I talk about tech, some where I talk politics, and this one is *mostly* not those.

I live in Huntsville Alabama, which as you know is 90 miles or so from Nashville and five hours or so from Atlanta.

Why do you ask?

You said you're in Portland?
Ah, got it. Thanks. Lips sealed. It seems to me I ran a marathon once in ggggggggg many moons ago, though the memory is rather dim due to years... It was very cold.

No, I asked because a big part of me stayed down there when we had to take a job up here in 1993 and I miss it. Basically, I was employed at lllllllllll for many years and then a good work opportunity came up up here. Long story. So, the west coast are terrific, but culturally, I am a better fit in the mmmmmmmmm. Because of education and career requirements, I wound up living all over the country. I was working like an insane person there, but the happiest years of my life by far were in yyyyyyyyyyy. I do what I can to try to stay somewhat connected to the region and was just wondering if you might be in zzzzzz or bbbbbbb or ccccccc or dddddd, all places I have either lived or spent time, or something. So, there you go.

One of the lasting memories of my time down there was that I got to see the fffffff game at ppppppp one year. I was actually dating a nnnnn grad in xxxxxxx at the time and so she had dressed me in a vvvvv hoodie for the game. After it was over and we were on the interminable walk to the car, I was accosted again and again and again for my lousy attire by various jjjjjjj. Totally new experience for me. We made it safely home. Later, as I was apparently repeatedly thanking my gfriend for taking me to such a life-altering event, she asked me why I was going on and on about the game. Just a football game, she said. I thought about it, then it became obvious. As a huge football fan and uuuuuuuuu native, I was and am embarrassed to admit that I went to an ssssssss where football fails to sit at its proper station in life. We just didn't have anything remotely like a where I studied. We had, like, iiiiiiiii or something.

I have always said that if I ever got to redo my education and life the one thing I would be sure to do is attend a real football school. I think that might be a lot of fun.

Last edited by bpcyclist; 01-30-20 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-11-19, 09:13 AM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
Can't remember the last time I was able to ride two days in a row...but did so this past Saturday and Sunday. Sunny and 51 on Saturday and Sunny and 62 on Sunday. Used my "winter gear" for the first time but refreshing. It was a terribly hot and humid summer in N. GA this year but it's great right now.
Old 11-11-19, 07:00 PM
Pouhana

Bikes: Fuji Nevada 29, Trek 820, SE BIG Mountain 29

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by momsonherbike
12.7 miles just before sunset. It was cool, calm, and peaceful. Had a bit of a delay about a mile down the road - a sweet Boxer puppy exploring on her own alongside the paved road. She was thrilled with my attention, bouncing all over the place, which made it cute but difficult to read her owner's phone number on the tag. Left a message at the number, and the owner called me back 3 minutes later. I was already walking the dog (using a long piece of double sided velcro tape - which I keep in my panniers for emergencies - as a leash/loop) towards the nearest house - thankfully it turned out to be the owner's house. Apparently hubby had forgotten to put the electronic collar on, and puppy took a walkabout without him knowing the puppy was gone. Owner (who was away at a class) was VERY thankful, and I was happy the cute puppy was back home. Continued my ride, enjoying the road and the scenery without further interruptions.
Cracks me up.

I was riding recently and encountered a car with flashing lights. Animal control. The "Officer" was walking along with what looked like an open can of tuna trying to entice 2 small domestic pigs.
Likes For Pouhana:
Old 11-11-19, 07:43 PM
momsonherbike

Bikes: All mine are electric bikes now

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
30 miles in 2 hours - paved and gravel roads. Determined to get as many miles as I could locally before the weather all goes to hell in a hand basket tonight and tomorrow with cold rain and snow and cold temps. Then up to son's place to celebrate his birthday with his millennial friends. Hubby and I were the only boomers there, but we had a blast with the Generation Y'ers. And there was cake!

Life is good.
Likes For momsonherbike:
Old 11-12-19, 12:31 AM
rseeker

It seems to me I ran a marathon once in the Rocket City many moons ago, though the memory is rather dim due to years... It was very cold.
That's interesting, because I think somebody else here posted a picture from a Rocket City Marathon, from back in the 70s though. Found it: https://www.bikeforums.net/20403959-post14.html

No, I asked because a big part of me stayed down there when we had to take a job up here in 1993 and I miss it. Basically, I was employed at Vanderbilt Hospital for many years and then a good work opportunity came up up here. Long story. So, Portland and Oregon and the west coast are terrific, but culturally, I am a better fit in the south. Because of education and career requirements, I wound up living all over the country. I was working like an insane person there, but the happiest years of my life by far were in Nashville. I do what I can to try to stay somewhat connected to the region and was just wondering if you might be in Atlanta or Birmingham or Nashville or Louisville, all places I have either lived or spent time, or something. So, there you go.
Cool, I can relate. I've spent most of my life in the southeast, and all of adult life here and in Atlanta, so I've got roots here too.

One of the lasting memories of my time down there was that I got to see the BAMA-Auburn game at Legion one year. [..] I have always said that if I ever got to redo my education and life the one thing I would be sure to do is attend a real football school. I think that might be a lot of fun.
Yeah, it's such a big deal here. That must have been incredible at Legion Field. I've never been myself, but it's so huge.

The guys at the bike shop tell me game days are the perfect time to ride because everyone's in front of a TV, watching. Just get off the road before they start driving home.

Last edited by rseeker; 11-26-19 at 07:28 AM.
Likes For rseeker:
Old 11-12-19, 04:06 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Not today or yesterday. Too danged cold today and too danged wet and then snowy yesterday. Plus, helping spouse get to and from cataract surgery both days, too.
Old 11-13-19, 07:48 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
My last two rides, done 2 days apart, Thursday and Saturday. Next time in SF I'm going to do Mt. Tamalpais.

Likes For zacster:
Old 11-13-19, 11:54 AM
bpcyclist

Originally Posted by zacster
My last two rides, done 2 days apart, Thursday and Saturday. Next time in SF I'm going to do Mt. Tamalpais.

Hey, zacster--Columbia grad here and I couldn't help but notice that they had relocated the Bay Area to the Upper West Side since I left town. Crazy!!

I really like that Brooklyn ride you did. If I ever get back there, I 'd like to do it.

On a different note, can you tell me how you copied and pasted your map? I use RWGPS and the usual ways of doing that are not working for me. Many thanks in advance.
Old 11-13-19, 12:44 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Yea, you get on the west side bikeway and it'll take you to Golden Gate Park now instead of Washington Heights.

I was using a Mac and took a cropped screenshot of the maps using command-shift-4.

Brooklyn Bike Loop I'm going to try and plan a spring group ride. It's already getting too cold here to do it now. Last week happened to have one warm enough day.
Likes For zacster:
Old 11-14-19, 06:17 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Another cold ride this morning. Bonus United B-737 on approach to SFO.
IMG_0813 by 2cam16, on Flickr
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 11-14-19, 06:44 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

7 mile ride this afternoon including one hill. 40 degrees - not bad. (Worked out at the YMCA yesterday eve for first time since late last Winter due to poor weather. Outdoors on a bike today was more fun)
Old 11-15-19, 04:43 AM
rseeker

Originally Posted by 2cam16
Another cold ride this morning. Bonus United B-737 on approach to SFO.
Yeah I noticed in one of your pics upthread you had two planes on parallel approach.
Likes For rseeker:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.