Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Rural riding vs urban riding?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-15, 09:56 AM
JamesRL

Bikes: Fiori Roma, Currently building a Bianchi, Trek 330, formerly Monshee Nomad, Favorit, Bianchi Sport SX, Frankenbike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My usual ride starts in suburbia and goes out to rural. I usually feel far safer in rural despite the higher auto speeds. When there are fewer distractions they have time to give me room.

A week ago though, I came close to honking at a fellow cyclist, even stopping. I was driving down a rural road, about 10 PM, no road lights at all, just my headlights. It was a major road leading to a highway, and most people travel fast on the road. I was doing the limit when all of a sudden I spot a cyclist directly in front of me. No lights, no reflectors, dark clothing. At 80 kph, I had about a half second to move over. If I was speeding, as many do on that road, it could have been fatally less.

I have friends who ride at nigh on a regular basis and wear the right gear and play safe. If you are riding at night, urban roads with lighting might be safer than rural.
Old 09-21-15, 02:20 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Comparing a per mile basis of car to bike is not great stats.
Depends on what you want to know. If you want to know the relative danger of driving vs riding from home to work and back then per mile is the appropriate stat.

If you have an hour to spare and wonder if you should go for a car ride or a bike ride then fatalities per hour of each would be the stat for you.
Old 09-21-15, 02:42 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Per mile basis? Gong to take me a while pedaling to get to my 20,000 + miles I drive every year. I would say bike riding is much safer than driving a car. Would love to see a stat not on miles but say hours of travel per year. Comparing a per mile basis of car to bike is not great stats.
It's pretty great stats for me. I drive fewer than 8000 miles a year. There have been years when I've cycled over 10000.
Old 09-22-15, 09:24 PM
Buckeye Bob
Still grinding away

Bikes: Scott CR1, Giant Anyroad, Trek 1000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in a fairly rural area. It also is a hilly area in a relatively flat area of the state (Ohio), so there is a fair amount of cycling activity on any given day around my house. With that said I would cycle on the rural roads any day over some of the urban roads/parks that I cycle on.
Not that I feel that uncomfortable in an urban setting. It's just that in my experience the rural roads around my house with drivers that are conditioned to cyclist on the road are much safer. I rarely, if ever get "buzzed" by cars.
Old 09-23-15, 04:50 AM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by datlas
True. But on further reflection, I would say that riding on the MUP is the most dangerous in terms of crash risk.
I don't ride on MUPs for that reason. Because, Sometimes the local government configures a MUP to use the concrete sidewalk more commonly used by pedestrian traffic. Instead of keeping the MUP on the asphalt bike/ped path. If the local government chooses to have MUPs at all.
Old 09-29-15, 04:40 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

Originally Posted by ParkingTheBus
I hear a lot of people who claim that riding on rural roads aren't safe at all for cyclists... I have to say that I strongly disagree....

I almost always choose to go for rides on less busy country roads. Luckily, a 5 minute ride gets me into the country where I feel much safer... Less traffic and I find the drivers who I do encounter are generally very courteous and give me plenty of room when passing.

Originally Posted by datlas
Actually suburban riding is likely most dangerous. Urban is in second place. Rural (assuming back roads and not state highways) likely are safest. But too many other variables involved to generalize,
I ride both, and didn’t have a specific opinion until this morning. I started out on exurban country roads at about 5:15 AM, with sunrise about 6:15, and a good headlight that nicely illuminated the road for about 20 feet ahead. I did start to realize that when I got warmed up, I might be outpacing my headlights. As oncoming traffic began to increase, the approaching car headlights would wash out my illumination and I couldn’t see the road surface well until they passed. I thus had to ride slowly to anticipate any unseen potholes or road cracks. After about three miles I turned back.

I frequently and usually commute at that same time in the city, and never have that problem, even though I commute outbound and face heavier oncoming inbound traffic. There is better ambient illumination of the road, and my eyes do not become so dark-adapted as in the country. While maybe rural drivers may be more courteous, I think they are more likely to routinely drive with high beams.

So I think that in the dark, especially early AM, urban riding is much safer.
Old 09-29-15, 07:38 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Funny you feel that way.

Higher urban volume means a ton more idiots who are distracted driving. Every day on my 10km urban commute I see dozens of moving violations, and virtually every driver also has a phone glued to their hands either talking or texting. Rural roads, less people but fewer intersections and people watch when entering/exiting roads.
Just my experience. *shrug*

Percentage of distracted drivers and those committing moving violations are pretty much equal, rural v. urban. Traffic is less, meaning fewer interactions with drivers, on a rural basis, but that's part of the problem -- rural drivers just aren't expecting cyclists on the road to the extent urban drivers do. Add in distractions, and it can be just as deadly.

Urban, expecting cycle commuters, lighted streets, even some bike paths, slower traffic. Rural, faster traffic, narrower roads, no shoulders, no lighting, cycle commuters a rare breed. I feel safer in traffic in downtown Boston/Cambridge MA than I do on rural roads in S. Maine.
Old 09-30-15, 02:02 PM
DreamRider85

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Well maybe I was wrong? On 3 seperate occasions, I was buzzed today on rural roads. One was by some idiot on a motorcycle who blew past me at close to 100 km/hr

It's very discouraging... No matter what routes I take it seems like I always encounter drivers like this. I'm seriously considering quitting road cycling and just sticking to the mountain bike. For the sake of my life.
And you aren't alone on this. I really love this activity, but it's very dangerous. However, if you have Paved paths, I recommend you use your road bike for them. I just wish that the infrastrctures favored cycling.
Old 09-30-15, 02:18 PM
bakes1
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gios
I ride where there are witnesses. When that guy / gal buzzes by close to you, to me if there wasn't a car behind them, or oncoming, they would sure as s*it hit you with their mirror or worse send you flying to the pavement.
Huhza?
People are regularly trying to sideswipe you with their vehicles?
Who are you?
Old 09-30-15, 05:45 PM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by bakes1
Huhza?
People are regularly trying to sideswipe you with their vehicles?
Who are you?
wtf? you insert regularly because what, you feel like it?
Old 09-30-15, 06:45 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Holy smokes people.........its just riding a bicycle!

It's NOT that difficult, or dangerous!
Old 09-30-15, 08:29 PM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart

Yup. But certain people seem to feel the need to make everything dramatic.
Old 10-01-15, 01:55 AM
DreamRider85

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart

It's the cars that endanger the activity. In my opinion every road should have a bike lane with protection walls. It's a shame that it's not that way.
Old 10-01-15, 06:24 AM
bakes1
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
It's the cars that endanger the activity. In my opinion every road should have a bike lane with protection walls. It's a shame that it's not that way.
This.
And satellite guided laser beams to instantly vaporize any small animals that are within a certain proximity to your bike as they could potentially run under your tires which is very dangerous.
Old 10-01-15, 06:29 AM
bakes1
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
wtf? you insert regularly because what, you feel like it?
Uhh, no.
I inserted the word regularly because you did not use a specific instance in your silly example. You made a general reference to multiple possibilities. Buzzing by/hitting with mirror/sideswiping to the pavement.
And mostly because you also specifically said you ride with witnesses. Who says that lol?
What did you mean by that other then you maybe have had multiple issues and need witness protection?
Or are you so paranoid that even though nothing has ever happened to you, you still feel the need to have witnesses in case one of the three scenarios you referenced happens to you one day in the future?
Old 10-01-15, 06:43 AM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
This.
And satellite guided laser beams to instantly vaporize any small animals that are within a certain proximity to your bike as they could potentially run under your tires which is very dangerous.
Can we also get water and bike repair stations every 5 miles? And hoses to wash off the thick layer of gnats that accumulate all over me at this time of year when I ride at night?

I'd be happy to have my taxes go for that. Oh, and there should also be masseuses at every water station. It's the only way I'll feel safe.
Old 10-01-15, 06:52 AM
gios

Uhh, no.
I inserted the word regularly because you did not use a specific instance
So you're media matters now. This is what happens when you ass u me.
Old 10-01-15, 07:23 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris516
I don't ride on MUPs for that reason. Because, Sometimes the local government configures a MUP to use the concrete sidewalk more commonly used by pedestrian traffic. Instead of keeping the MUP on the asphalt bike/ped path. If the local government chooses to have MUPs at all.
Like all infra, MUPs are all different. Multi Use Path covers a lot of infra, from side-paths to rails-to-trails conversions. Some MUPs are amazing and some are death-traps. In my area (Minneapolis), you will find best-in-case MUPs and classic "converted sidewalks". So I take exception to lumping all MUPs together as "dangerous". I would suggest "side-paths" better describes the dangerous infra, versus the broad term "MUP".

The same can be said about suburban roads, I'm in Minnetonka, it has good, wide roads with shoulders (AKA bike routes). But go north (Plymouth) or south (Eden Prairie), you enter the worst-in-class 45 mph, 4-lane roads with no bike infra, and you're stuck using county roads because all side roads are death by cul-de-sac.

To the OP question/statement, I consider the urban roads by far the safest, the vehicle speeds are the lowest making any collision much less damaging than anything rural. People think that fewer cars on the rural roads make them safer, but the higher speeds are what cause the damage, not the number of vehicles. That said, I ride all road conditions with confidence - from urban, to suburban, to rural.
Old 10-01-15, 10:47 AM
bakes1
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So you're media matters now. This is what happens when you ass u me.
I am going to refrain from specifically responding to that nonsense as I am sure you have witnesses here in case this escalates to something more serious.
Old 10-01-15, 12:18 PM
gios

^ translation - you resemble that remark?
Old 10-02-15, 12:56 AM
Saving Hawaii

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hear a lot of people who claim that riding on rural roads aren't safe at all for cyclists... I have to say that I strongly disagree.

I live in the suburbs, filled with 8 lane roadways and cars whizzing by at 70-80 km/hr. There's often more cars and dangerous objects such as potholes. More cars = more angry people = more close passing.

I almost always choose to go for rides on less busy country roads. Luckily, a 5 minute ride gets me into the country where I feel much safer... Less traffic and I find the drivers who I do encounter are generally very courteous and give me plenty of room when passing.
I think "rural" has a lot of different definitions. I lived in a small city (80k) in the middle of nowhere for a longtime. The rural roads there were great with scarce traffic (some stretches you might go a whole hour and see one car) and I never had issues with the drivers. Or you might go for a loop on one of the busier roads that nonetheless has a lot of cyclists and a decent shoulder and it's pretty great. Now I live in a bigger city and "rural road" has a scary connotation. Some windy, super-narrow road with cars whipping around blind corners like there's a fire. It's not a place you want to be.

The MUPs in the 80k city were awesome. Here I've been pretty impressed as well (though, eugh pedestrians). But I've also lived in places where the MUPs were less than useless.