Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Proposed end to cycling around the Rosebowl...

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Proposed end to cycling around the Rosebowl...

Old 03-21-19, 01:40 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
First crash with the new layout.

Pasadena Now » Rollout of Safety Measures at Rose Bowl Loop Marred by Bicycle Crash | Pasadena California, Hotels,CA Real Estate,Restaurants,City Guide... - Pasadena.com
Old 03-21-19, 01:51 PM
Nessism

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 332 Posts
That Rose Bowl ride is fun. It's a damn shame the bureaucrats messed it up.
Old 03-21-19, 02:46 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Two things: that guy hit a three-and-a-half foot tall blaze orange channelizer, and his wrist is MESSED UP. Jumped out in front of him, I guess.

While the city hasn't said it explicitly, they're obviously trying to dissuade cyclists from blowing through there in a huge pack at 25mph. We've got trail ingress/egress points up here that are placed so close together they have to be taken at walking speed. And while what Pasadena is doing is pretty heavy-handed, there isn't much they can do to that corner to keep cars out that also won't slow down a pack of 50+ bikes.
Old 03-21-19, 02:48 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Didn't take long. Our tax dollars at work.
Old 03-21-19, 04:11 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Which is again, my belief that the City of Pasadena is tacitly trying to stop a big peleton of weekend warriors from blasting around the Rose Bowl at 25mph. I have absolutely no problem with cones, ever. Because I'm out on the roads by myself and I'm not looking at the jerseys of the cloud of riders in front of me. I don't think the city is anti-cyclist. It seems like someone probably complained about the speed and size of the group rides, and the city is going ham-fisted at it. We get some fairly big groups out this way, and let's just say... you can feel the vibe. If complaints were lodged in Pasadena, I would not be surprised at all.
Old 03-22-19, 08:50 AM
Nessism

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 332 Posts
I can still remember my first time riding with the Rose Bowl group. It was in 2002 and I was recently relocating to So Calif after spending some years in NE Ohio on job assignment. I was a little out of shape but not horrabilly so, so I hung near the back of the group. As is typical with fast group riding the peloton is like a slinky with the tail stretching back and sometimes breaking off when the speed surged. I moved up some and noticed a guy with excellent bike handling skills so I sat behind him for a few laps as I became more acclimated to the group. After the ride was over I rode up to this guy and couldn't help laughing after noticing he was on a fixed gear. Here I was all proud of myself for not getting dropped and the guy I was emulating was simply out for a little training ride. I came to learn that the group was filled with guys like this; strong as hell guys just looking for a little work between their race weekends. There wasn't a bunch of team tactics with guys trying to "win" the race (so to speak), it was more casual. Mind you this was some time back and I don't know if things have changed. I do know though that it was a fun experience and if I didn't live so far away now I'd love to revisit the experience.