Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2019! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2019! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Old 06-12-19, 11:16 AM
Wolfhaven

Bikes: Salsa Fargo, Surly Disc Trucker, Surly ECR, Cannondale Cujo, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Finally warm enough to ditch the knee warmers. Was nice. Calm but after a night of rain things were damp and foggy. Glasses kept fogging up. The rain helped get the gravel into better riding condition though. The swan was off the nest again. Hoping to see some little ones.
Old 06-13-19, 06:53 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
I saw a skunk on my morning run today. I wasn't sure what it was at first. Cat? It stopped in the road about 20 yards in front of me and I thought maybe it was an opossum. I crossed to the other side of the road and continued going by. Luckily it decided I was not a thread and had not raised its tail.

A wet ride home yesterday in the rain. It was a little cool too at 64F, but I never got uncomfortable.
Good ride in this morning. Cool but humid.

I saw a Dr. Pepper can on the ground beside a trashcan. That triggered the old commercial jingle in my head for most of the remaining miles.
"I'm a Pepper . He's a Pepper. She's a Pepper. Wouldn't you like to be a Pepper too?"
Old 06-13-19, 07:13 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by mgw4jc
"I'm a Pepper . He's a Pepper. She's a Pepper. Wouldn't you like to be a Pepper too?"
Well thank you for that earworm.

Old 06-13-19, 08:22 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
After 3 picture perfect days this morning was nasty - 55F, grey, 17mph wind gusts (fortunately headed my way). It felt a lot colder than it was. I'm hoping for an improvement but the forecast shows little change other than higher wind speeds... argh
Old 06-13-19, 08:58 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
^ similar story here in chicago.

52, light rain, with an 18 mph north wind blowing straight into my face for the ride into work this morning. that N wind penalized me an extra 8 minutes.

that's a pretty crappy morning for a bike commute in mid-june. it felt like october or something.
Old 06-13-19, 10:05 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
It's like spring again here. Low 60s, very welcome after a couple weeks in the 90s. I could get used to this!

Yesterday was interesting; south winds (headwind) in the morning brought moisture up from the Gulf, which turned into thunderstorms right after lunch. After the front came through, the winds reversed and I had headwinds both ways. At least the north wind held through this morning. Tailwind!

I need to start nagging city hall over the repaved street on my route. The pavement is lovely, but they've put in bike lanes that aren't so nice. 4.5' lanes in the plan have turned into 2.5' lanes around the storm sewers. Maybe if I yell loudly enough, early enough, they'll get those straight before the final coat of paint goes on.
Old 06-13-19, 01:07 PM
Bikewolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Someone fell off his bike while escaping reality. Music sometimes hurts ;-)
Old 06-13-19, 01:55 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
drove yesterday and we got buckets of rain in the afternoon through evening to early AM. i think it stopped around 3am Severe flooding warnings. I rode this morning and only found a few rain drops and 56F in JUNE! seems crazy it did feel like October or something @steely_dan
Old 06-14-19, 06:24 AM
mgw4jc

Two things I saw yesterday morning that I forgot to mention. A guy walking a great dane. The dog's head was as high as my handlebars!
In another neighborhood I saw a pick-up truck parked with decals / paint advertising it's lawn care business.
It clearly said, "Weed Man."
Hilarious.

On yesterday's ride home a guy caught up to me and we took turns pulling for the next 3 or 4 miles. This made me go much faster than normal, but it was fun.

Beautiful morning today. Sunny and 60F. Could've ridden many more miles.
Old 06-14-19, 06:28 AM
beachball42

Bikes: Trek Verve 2, Trek 4900 MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
A little cold but a nice ride this morning. I've started to use a slightly different route which takes me on the newly designed Midtown MUP. The section I'm on is designated for bikes only, the red bricks to the right are designated for cars. To my left there is a pedestrian path along where the wooden benches are. I only take this route in the morning because the evening is a lot more congested and people are still confused on what is what. The whole trail is not fully completed so once completed it should start to get better. This area is becoming the popular place to be with the addition of Sun King Brewery and a few other restaurants and shops. The trail has always been there, this is just a redesigned portion of the trail.
Old 06-14-19, 07:05 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
20mph head wind going uphill this morning.

My legs are dead right now....but when they recover I think I'll be able to kick down large trees.

I just hope the wind holds up for the ride home...going downhill. I'll get home before I leave the office!
Old 06-14-19, 07:42 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
^ similar story here in chicago.

52, light rain, with an 18 mph north wind blowing straight into my face for the ride into work this morning. that N wind penalized me an extra 8 minutes.

that's a pretty crappy morning for a bike commute in mid-june. it felt like october or something.
My route home is north and I just couldn't bear riding into 18-20mph winds yesterday... I took the bus home! This morning it was 47F when I left (yeah that's a "4") but the sun's back and winds are light. All's right with the world again.

There was a group of hand-crank trikes at a street crossing this morning. It's impressive to see folks who ride without the use of their legs.
Old 06-14-19, 08:57 AM
pdlamb

Supposedly down into the lower 50s this morning, so I dug out my heavy wool (but still short sleeve!) jersey. Didn't need it, as it was warming quickly. Nice riding with just a breeze instead of a gale. While I like my job, if I hadn't committed to working today I'd be 15 miles west of here. Or 30 miles north. It's just beautiful cycling weather!

Originally Posted by Skipjacks
20mph head wind going uphill this morning.

My legs are dead right now....but when they recover I think I'll be able to kick down large trees.
It might take a day or two to recover!

OT Story: 10 years ago we were touring in northern Montana, and got to talking with a logging trucker. He told us his brother hated cyclists, and would like to kick our ass if he were there. I smiled, and told him, "He could probably do it, unless he slipped and fell down. Then these legs that bicycled 3,000 miles to get here would work HIM over." Our trucker got a thoughtful look on his face, grinned, and we parted amicably. (He gave us a cheerful toot towards the end of the day as he was going home.)
Old 06-14-19, 03:39 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 113 Posts
Had to wear a suit to work this morning (not typical for me these days), and rode the first block before I realized that my pant leg (it's an older suit, so a little baggier than current style) was at serious risk of getting chain muck all over it. Quickly tucked it into my sock like a dork, and everything was find after that.

Originally Posted by beachball42
...The section I'm on is designated for bikes only, the red bricks to the right are designated for cars...the evening is a lot more congested and people are still confused on what is what.
They just did something similar in a small section of my neighborhood, and people seem to have no clue that it's not ideal for them to walk in the bike lane. There is a bicycle painted like every 50 yards, and it is only separated from the regular sidewalk by a couple of feet of grass, but I'll be damned if they wouldn't prefer to walk side by side in the bike path. Ghostrider is getting temped to do a flyby or two...

Originally Posted by Skipjacks
I just hope the wind holds up for the ride home...going downhill. I'll get home before I leave the office!
88 miles per hour!
Likes For robertorolfo:
Old 06-17-19, 05:02 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 80 Posts
Well here we are and it is another Monday. It was a very pleasant commute to work this am with the temp in the mid 60's f.
Old 06-17-19, 06:40 AM
mgw4jc

Warmest morning in a good while, possibly this year, at 73F. Humid too, but not horribly so. A nice breeze kept me cool and kept me slower than normal. No worries though.
Old 06-17-19, 08:55 AM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Warm (for Edmonton) and calm. Gonna be wet the rest of the week.
Old 06-17-19, 09:20 AM
pdlamb

Overcast and cool again this morning. So cool, I started wondering if I would see the kids lined up waiting for the school bus today. Then I realized I was too early. Took a few more pedal strokes to realize school let out last month. Whether that diversion was a result of the weather, or a result of getting up too early, I can't say.
Old 06-17-19, 12:36 PM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only the second or third morning I ride only with a t-shirt.nice and sunny.
Old 06-17-19, 02:38 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 1,179 Posts
Originally Posted by dramiscram
I ride only with a t-shirt.
Old 06-17-19, 02:47 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
SWMBO had a dr appointment in the morning so I took the trike in once the nanny arrived. Feeling ok-not-great, it's warm but not brutal. Nothing noteworthy except the number of people using the SRA on a non-holiday midday. Lots of SUP-ers
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 06-18-19, 06:58 AM
mgw4jc

Heavy rain and thunderstorms woke me up a couple of times early this morning. It cleared out around 3:30am, so the ride in was fine, but humid.

Traffic while schools are out for summer is much nicer.
Old 06-18-19, 07:23 AM
pdlamb

Light shower came in between breakfast and the start of the commute, but (since it didn't cover my glasses) it was free sweat, a nice respite. Cleared up mid-commute, so I thought I'd add a few more miles. As you might guess, if you're a regular bike commuter, that made it rain before I got to the office.

I think the last rain we had was Thursday night, so it's not been that long. Still, riding down a back road, I got the feeling that the lawns and fields were taking a relieved breath to get a bit of moisture.
Old 06-18-19, 12:07 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,601 Posts
Got a flat on my way home last night... first one since I've started a new job in new office with new commute about 9 months ago, probably even a couple years before that. Happened in a nice shady spot. Finding the offending shard of metal inside the tire took longer than I expected, but changing the tube was fast and the CO2 inflator worked perfectly. Hands got a bit dirty. And then I re-loaded my flat-fixing pack when I got home. I think I might add a tweezer to my kit for those tiny pieces of wire and such.
Old 06-18-19, 01:05 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I actually got passed by another tadpole trike rider this morning. I wasn't feeling good, waved him around. He was feeling his oats and had a lower and quicker-looking trike. Friendly, though. As he passed he made an inside joke about how trikes are slow...

It was already warm at 8, forecast breaks 100 in the late afternoon.
Genesis 49:16-17

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.