Old 07-05-19, 07:58 PM
JimmyNH
Dilligaf

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Closed road, perfect weather and still, by far, the smallest crowd ever on GMR on the 4-th of July. Not sure what happened to cycling in SoCal, but surely it's not good.
It was a great ride anyway. My buddies talked me into going further up towards Mt. Baldy. Well, I tried. By the time I got to the 5000' sign, I was tired enough to take the Fukitol pill and turn back.
Not sure if the owners of the restaurant at Baldy village read this forum, but if they do - a huge THANK YOU for the water they provided.
Old 07-05-19, 08:31 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by JimmyNH
Not sure if the owners of the restaurant at Baldy village read this forum, but if they do - a huge THANK YOU for the water they provided.
Yes, +1. They even put out a bag of ice, there was a bit left when I got there, so I had cold water on my climb to the lifts! THANK YOU Mt Baldy Lodge!
Old 07-08-19, 08:51 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by JimmyNH
Closed road, perfect weather and still, by far, the smallest crowd ever on GMR on the 4-th of July. Not sure what happened to cycling in SoCal, but surely it's not good.
It was a great ride anyway. My buddies talked me into going further up towards Mt. Baldy. Well, I tried. By the time I got to the 5000' sign, I was tired enough to take the Fukitol pill and turn back.
I was significantly less than last year, still a decently sized group though. It seems like a large portion are on their first outdoor ride of the year; you don't need to swerve 5 feet in both directions to retrieve water. Also the people going up taking 80% of the road to chat when there are people descending was a little dangerous.

Went solo again this year and tried to pace it up as opposed to last year where I went hard until I blew up (which was about 2 miles from the ski lifts). 10 minutes slower this time, but I also had to pull over 3 times for reasons.
Old 07-14-19, 12:50 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 153 Posts
Sorry about the lapse. Been busy. Great day on the mountain. Pity there weren't more riders out to enjoy the cool weather and voluptuous road.

Likes For calamarichris: