Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Moots Routt series

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-19, 05:26 AM
603er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moots Routt series

Hi all,

I’m very interested in a new titanium ride. I’ve heard nothing but really solid things about Moots, and the Routt lineup seems impressive. I’m trying to better distinguish between the three models (RSL, 45 and YBB). Fortunately, I’ll be able to see a few in person this weekend, but wanted to get some background info prior to that. I know the general tech differences, but am trying to get some feedback on how well each would handle pavement for the occasional long club ride. They all seem solid on gravel and for distance on the trails

The RSL certainly sounds more race oriented and able to handle. A little curious about thoughts on the YBB on pavement with the softail set up. Really seems like a cool concept for gravel.

Thanks!
Old 08-01-19, 05:57 PM
DanBell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
No direct knowledge, just lust. If you do decide to pick one up, get one for me too please. I'll send you my shipping address.
Old 08-02-19, 07:12 AM
603er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DanBell
No direct knowledge, just lust. If you do decide to pick one up, get one for me too please. I'll send you my shipping address.
Haha will do! Think I’d narrowed it down to the 45 and the YBB.
Old 08-02-19, 08:24 AM
ttusomeone

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 603er
Haha will do! Think I’d narrowed it down to the 45 and the YBB.
I have the RSL. Love it. Got it last year before they released the YBB. I wouldn't have gotten it anyway because realistically I knew the bike would be 85% road and 15% off-road. Riding off-road though on gravel and some trails, I haven't wished for the YBB. I think I'd need to be only riding it on really rough roads, or wanting to take it on mtb trails as an all-around bike before going that direction.

I decided against the 45 because I'd rather go with narrower tires and have the lighter bike with the RSL. FWIW, I have some 650b wheels that I run when off-road and with them, you can fit up to 45c 650b tires on the RSL.
Old 08-02-19, 08:43 AM
603er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! That’s good info. Totally agreed. The YBB seems far more trail focus. Still a great set up but sounds like the RSL and 45 are a little more all surface. Glad to hear you enjoy it!

Originally Posted by ttusomeone
I have the RSL. Love it. Got it last year before they released the YBB. I wouldn't have gotten it anyway because realistically I knew the bike would be 85% road and 15% off-road. Riding off-road though on gravel and some trails, I haven't wished for the YBB. I think I'd need to be only riding it on really rough roads, or wanting to take it on mtb trails as an all-around bike before going that direction.

I decided against the 45 because I'd rather go with narrower tires and have the lighter bike with the RSL. FWIW, I have some 650b wheels that I run when off-road and with them, you can fit up to 45c 650b tires on the RSL.
Old 08-02-19, 08:32 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6962 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts

Out of curiosity, what does your RSL weigh, and how is it built?
Old 08-03-19, 06:27 AM
ttusomeone

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Out of curiosity, what does your RSL weigh, and how is it built?
I've got DA Di2 on it, except the RD which is Ultegra RX (the one with the clutch). I have enve bars, stem, and post. Honestly I've never weighed it. It doesn't feel heavy enough or light enough where I've wondered exactly what it weighs. I have had people remark that it's lighter than they expected, for what that's worth.
Likes For ttusomeone:
Old 08-03-19, 06:42 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6962 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
I've got DA Di2 on it, except the RD which is Ultegra RX (the one with the clutch). I have enve bars, stem, and post. Honestly I've never weighed it. It doesn't feel heavy enough or light enough where I've wondered exactly what it weighs. I have had people remark that it's lighter than they expected, for what that's worth.
Even though I’d kind of like to know what it weighs, I think I appreciate your response even more. Just build it and ride it. For sure.

Sounds like a great bike!
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-03-19, 09:18 AM
ttusomeone

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Even though I’d kind of like to know what it weighs, I think I appreciate your response even more. Just build it and ride it. For sure.

Sounds like a great bike!
You've got me curious though so if I weigh it later today, I'll let you know.
Old 08-06-19, 12:03 AM
Sully151

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 9 (29), Trek Fuel EX 8 (26) Trek Project One Road.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
I looked at the Moots Routt 45 and the RSL. I decided against the 45 because it sat really upright. The RSL is cool, but I wanted the option to run a bigger tire. Then, when I was in Santa Barbara, I stopped by Stinner. Now I am kinda jonesing for one of those, but damn, they are pricey.
Old 08-06-19, 06:30 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Your buying a Moots there is no wrong choice my friend
one very nice uber cool fancy arse bike
regardless which one