Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Loss of Civility

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Loss of Civility

Old 08-25-19, 12:14 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Everyone is angry these days. Maybe we can blame the politicians in DC for dividing the country. Sad!
I think we can blame ourselves for electing them.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 08-25-19, 06:09 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I find it difficult to believe that someone intentionally tried to run you over.

If a motorist wanted you dead then you would not be here to post about the incident.

-Tim-
This. Methinks OP may have over dramatized a bit...

Last edited by downhillmaster; 08-25-19 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-25-19, 07:42 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 212 Posts
“The West has uniquely been able to create high-trust societies, a feature that is strongly related to Western individualism where reputation rather than kinship is important. So it's interesting that Americans think trust in fellow citizens is declining. America has divided itself into hundreds of ‘special interest’ groups whether those are created by race, religion, sexuality, etc. and it has gotten to a point where too many people are offended by what used to be considered common language, and I think it has made too many Americans ‘afraid’ of speaking and trusting people they don’t know."

https://www.people-press.org/2019/07...ersonal-trust/
Old 08-26-19, 07:00 AM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
To say the least. And the fact that he’s disappeared reinforces this. He’s been here since 2007 and has posted less than 10 times.
Likes For MSchott:
Old 08-26-19, 07:08 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by viffer
So I was fixing a flat on the sidewalk by the side of the road yesterday when somebody actually tried to back into the space and run me over while I was working on the bike. Now he absolutely had to see me sitting there, it was pretty obvious.

But it got me thinking just how much the world has changed recently. Not a single person walking or driving by stopped to ask if I was OK. I could have been run over, injured, bike down and sprawled all over the sidewalk but no one even bothered giving me a single look. A couple of guys even laughed at me while walking by saying look at this fool trying to fix his own bike, as if I had a choice. The guy who almost backed into me was the last straw.

Now I’ve always been pretty self-sufficient, carry spares and tools and am able to fix most things on the road.

I don’t expect anyone to ever offer to help me, all I ask is you not harrass me or run me over. Just leave me alone and I’m fine. But like I said, the callousness and loss of civility of a lot of people these days is still shocking.
The higher the population is in a specific area, the more distant people are from each other. You don't see that behavior in small towns / villages. It's a real shame how people can be self-centered pricks.

From my experience, the dumbest people around cyclists are the ones who never practiced sport in their lives - they simply can't understand what it is. If there would be more people like us, there would be less things like that happening.

Last edited by eduskator; 08-26-19 at 07:12 AM.
Old 08-26-19, 07:32 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,274 Times in 7,225 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
You don't see that behavior in small towns / villages.
I live in one of the largest cities in the U.S. and have travelled a lot by bike through small town America. I have seen every type of behavior everywhere. In fact, anti-tax sentiment leading to budget cuts has effectively eliminated police presence in many rural areas. People feel they can get a way with whatever without much risk of getting in trouble. A few years ago, during a tour in the Black Hills, I was camping for a few days in tiny Edgemont, SD. A man camping at the same place told me to watch out for local drivers, many of whom drink and drive, because of the lack of police presence.

When I rode across the country 20 years ago many in our group of 13 were apprehensive about riding through Cleveland because of a fear of crime. Early on the in the trip we camped in the city park in tiny Ione, WA. I found it interesting that no one but myself noticed the drug sales going on in the park. At least 3 or 4 times the same vehicle pulled into the park and waited with its engine running. Each time a different vehicle pulled along side it for less than s minute. I could see exchanges being made and then both would drive off.

Last edited by indyfabz; 08-26-19 at 07:36 AM.
Old 08-26-19, 09:50 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
This entire website is a dramatization.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 08-26-19, 12:04 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
Last week one of our group mates was fixing a flat off the side of the road. In a ten-minute span three or four groups passed us and every one of them asked if we needed help. So civility isn't entirely lost.

Just yesterday we passed a group of women cyclist on the side of the road just as we began our ride. Naturally we asked if they needed help. To our surprise they said yes. So we stopped to help them change a flat. It delayed our ride for about ten minutes, but no biggie. I was both repairing and educating them on how to do a proper fix. They had trouble pulling off the tire from the wheel. They weren't quite sure how to use the CO2 cartridge. They were simply trying to install the new tube without inspecting the tire for the puncture. Turned out there was a long metal shard embedded in the tire and would have caused a second puncture almost immediately.

Afterwards one of them women tried to stick a $10 bill into my hand, for our coffee break, she said. We declined. Her gratitude was enough.
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 08-26-19, 12:16 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
... somebody actually tried to back into the space and run me over while I was working on the bike.
Defensive to the last, I always assume someone's going to do the most-stupid, "blind" thing possible, at the worst possible time. Most times, simple precautions can help guard against the more-likely such stuff.

Like someone entering a space that cars would normally attempt to enter. (Parking spot, I'm assuming.) Far safer to avoid such risk and instead opt to work on a vehicle (bike or otherwise) off the roadway, off the parking area, in a spot where it's clearly marked off as a spot where someone is working.

I wish folks were uniformly civil and human, these days. But it's just not the case, everywhere. Where I live, there are occasionally, almost too frequently to be believed, lunatics who'll pull crap like you just described out of sheer spite and petulance to see if they can get away with it.

Glad that you weren't struck, in that spot. That's something.

Last edited by Clyde1820; 08-27-19 at 03:39 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-28-19, 07:44 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
If I can, I try to move far enough off that drivers are discouraged from stopping and asking if I need help. I've had as many as four cars stop in the time it took to fix a flat, and I'm not that slow about it.
Old 08-28-19, 08:07 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
Not a single person walking or driving by stopped to ask if I was OK. I could have been run over, injured, bike down and sprawled all over the sidewalk but no one even bothered giving me a single look.

I don’t expect anyone to ever offer to help me, all I ask is you not harrass me or run me over. Just leave me alone and I’m fine.

You kinda contradict yourself here...
Likes For prj71:
Old 08-28-19, 11:34 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 88 Posts
So I was fixing a flat on the sidewalk by the side of the road yesterday when somebody actually tried to back into the space and run me over while I was working on the bike. Now he absolutely had to see me sitting there, it was pretty obvious.
Confused by "sidewalk" and "back into the space". A parking space? How does the sidewalk fit into the parking space? If you mean the sidewalk was at the end of the parking space, then you weren't "in" the parking space to begin with. Perhaps you were fearful the back of the car would protrude out from the parking spot and hit you on the sidewalk, but are you suggesting any driver should not attempt to park in that space, simply because you were on the sidewalk behind the spot? If it were me, I'd understand that, and move a few feet to where a car is already parked, so that there's nothing coming toward me...(or just move altogether to a better spot, even if that meant having to carry my bike)

Alternatively, if you were actually "in" a parking space, that also seems like partially your fault. No one should try to park in a space where there's a person standing, but again, seems like not the best place to change a flat to begin with...
Old 08-28-19, 12:37 PM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
The OP has disappeared. No need to address him.
Old 08-28-19, 12:42 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10101 Post(s)
Liked 5,781 Times in 3,111 Posts
The mofos finally got him, poor bastard.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 08-28-19, 12:44 PM
viffer
Live to Ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
You kinda contradict yourself here...
No contradiction. I can not expect any help but still observe that nobody cares enough to ask. And as I stated all I want is to not be run over or harrassed by passers by. If you’re not going to offer to help then just keep the smart ash comments to yourself and don’t run me over with your car, that’s all.

Last edited by viffer; 08-28-19 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-28-19, 12:54 PM
viffer
Live to Ride

Originally Posted by cthenn
Confused by "sidewalk" and "back into the space". A parking space?

Parking space as in street parking next to a single wide sidewalk. I’m sitting on the single wide sidewalk with my feet over the edge of the curb and my bike and parts on the sidewalk. Car starts backing into the space while I’m sitting on the curb. I should also point out there are plenty of other spaces available in the area, he could have chosen from 10 other spaces. But he chose to back into me. Now it takes me all of 10 minutes max to change out a flat even on a back wheel. So if for some bizarre reason he absolutely positively needed to be in that space and not one of the 10 others available in the area then fine, I could have picked up all of my stuff and moved to another spot to accommodate this guy. But he could have asked first before just backing into me.

Last edited by viffer; 08-28-19 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-28-19, 12:57 PM
viffer
Live to Ride

Originally Posted by MSchott
The OP has disappeared. No need to address him.
I have a life, can’t be checking this site constantly for replies. Besides I think my original post was designed to spark discussion and thought which I think I did, not necessarily to generate direct replies to me.

Last edited by viffer; 08-28-19 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-28-19, 01:23 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,274 Times in 7,225 Posts
Bikeforums is my life. Sad.
Old 08-28-19, 02:57 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Sometimes it's amazing how much decency still exists, even in a big city. The coffee shop nearest to me has a free lattes with home delivery policy for injured Forrests. Yesterday a former coworker drove 70 miles to take me to the grocery store and carry my stuff home.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 08-28-19, 02:59 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by wphamilton
If I can, I try to move far enough off that drivers are discouraged from stopping and asking if I need help. I've had as many as four cars stop in the time it took to fix a flat, and I'm not that slow about it.
I got a flat on a dirt road one day. Before I even got the wheel off, a trail runner driving home stopped and asked me if I needed a ride. I told her I didn't need one, but I would be very happy to deal with this at home where it's dry. We talked about favorite trails whole driving to my car.
Old 08-28-19, 03:43 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10101 Post(s)
Liked 5,781 Times in 3,111 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Bikeforums is my life. Sad.
Me too, now that 8chan is gone.
Old 08-28-19, 03:53 PM
Seattle Forrest

8chan is gone? What is this world coming to?
Old 08-28-19, 04:11 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26244 Post(s)
Liked 10,228 Times in 7,097 Posts
I could have been run over, injured, bike down and sprawled all over the sidewalk but no one even bothered giving me a single look. ...
Old 08-28-19, 04:12 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
8chan is gone? What is this world coming to?
...8Chan is too slow. Everyone with 21st Century internet service speed is on 16Chan now.
Old 08-28-19, 04:13 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Sometimes it's amazing how much decency still exists, even in a big city. The coffee shop nearest to me has a free lattes with home delivery policy for injured Forrests. Yesterday a former coworker drove 70 miles to take me to the grocery store and carry my stuff home.
...I missed this. Did you shoot your eye out ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.