Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Vatternrundun Logistics

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Vatternrundun Logistics

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-19, 09:59 AM
jacksmith097

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vatternrundun Logistics

I am seriously considering this event next year and am trying to get a sense of what the logistics would be like. My current thought was to fly in to the closest major airport (coming from the Netherlands), rent a car and drive to the area but I am not sure what to do about accommodations. If possible, I am hoping to bring my wife and daughter for the trip but only if it would be fun for them to see the area and not be a logistical nightmare as I know some big events can be. I know there is camping available but am not sure that is what I'd want to do given the challenge of the event, having the family on board and frankly the possible range of weather. I'd be very appreciative to hear from others who have done the event in recent years on how to find a good place to stay, how far it will likely be from the start, parking, getting out after the event, and any other tips. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-27-19, 11:01 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I live in Sweden, but a 3 hour drive from the start. So not really that different from your situation. Me and SO have stayed in Linköping the night before and after the event. Finding hotel rooms have not been a problem. Finding parking close to the hotel has been a little bit difficult. The year before last we had maybe a 5 minute walk.
Finding parking while picking up the number tags etc has not been a problem, but maybe 15 minutes walk out.
What we’ve done is that my SO drives me to the start, and drops me off within a few minutes ride of the starting line. Easy.
Then she takes off for the duration of the race, and returns to pick me up.
Finding parking for pick-up after the race will force you a little further out, maybe a 20-minute walk. Not a big deal either.
The range of weather can be considerable, particularly if your starting slot will have you riding through the night. Last 3 years I’ve started around 4 in the morning. I’ve worn bibs, Jersey, vest, sleeves, and knee warmers at the start. Finished in Jersey and bibs.
The year I rode through the night it also rained, I wore long tights, long-sleeved Jersey, wind-proof jacket, shoe covers. Got thoroughly soaked and quite cold for the duration of the rain and maybe an hour after.
Things to do for the non-riders:
- there’s an industrial museum, an air force museum, a national park, a safari park, an old fort within reasonable striking distance. A cute little town or two.

Last edited by dabac; 09-27-19 at 11:16 AM.