Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What came in the post for you today?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What came in the post for you today?

Old 10-10-19, 01:45 AM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 147 Posts
These just arrived after a long wait from Poland. Im keen to try them as I like spending most of my time riding on the bar ends. They seem good quality, no play in the spring loaded lever pivot.

Old 10-11-19, 09:41 AM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 185 Posts
1984 Golden Arrow from France

Golden Arrow crankset for a 1984 Woodrup
Old 10-11-19, 06:25 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,766 Times in 1,725 Posts
All this, Dura Ace 7400 groupset and Dura Ace 7700 groupset. Some extra odds and ends. There's a NOS set of 7700 hubs in the bunch and mint looking 7400 hubs. The hubs alone are worth what I paid for all of it, if not more. Nice stash of parts that can be used to keep several of my ol' rides going.

Old 10-12-19, 07:01 AM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 185 Posts
Shimano plugs from Poland!

Golden Arrow bar end plugs from Poland
Likes For Johno59:
Old 10-12-19, 10:33 AM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1192 Post(s)
Liked 1,327 Times in 708 Posts
Likes For malcala622:
Old 10-12-19, 11:24 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts

CLB Professional

Old 10-12-19, 11:35 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Originally Posted by jbchybridrider
These just arrived after a long wait from Poland. Im keen to try them as I like spending most of my time riding on the bar ends. They seem good quality, no play in the spring loaded lever pivot.

They are convenient. Have the Tektro lever ends on a loaner MTB. Odd looking from all angles but work well.

Old 10-12-19, 11:49 AM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 187 Posts
More Tape

Got some more white Tressostar tape - just in case. It's been hard to find reasonably-priced white version lately.
Old 10-12-19, 02:11 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 747 Posts
Not exactly "today," but I finally got around to installing the downtube decals which I'd purchased back in January:

I had wrecked the first set, and was so nervous about messing up a second time that it took me a long while to get up the courage for the second attempt. The bike still needs some tweaks. The housing loops are much too big and the Benotto tape needs to be rewrapped, but it's very close.
Old 10-12-19, 10:41 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked 814 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict

CLB Professional

Very nice CLBs! Just perfect for a weight weenie build, especially if it's on a French bike.
You can really go to the 9's with the CLBs if you use their aluminum cased brake cables,.....but be forwarned, the aluminum cased CLB brake cables give a very squishy feel to the brakes because of compressibility, and I'd only use it on bikes that will not see too much riding on hills and mountains.....
Old 10-13-19, 01:35 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Originally Posted by Chombi1
Very nice CLBs! Just perfect for a weight weenie build, especially if it's on a French bike.
You can really go to the 9's with the CLBs if you use their aluminum cased brake cables,.....but be forwarned, the aluminum cased CLB brake cables give a very squishy feel to the brakes because of compressibility, and I'd only use it on bikes that will not see too much riding on hills and mountains.....
Interesting feedback on the ally cables. Hindsight I should have purchased a NOS set last year for pittance but I guess won't miss them that much.

Anyways, these brakes were going for a planned French lightweight but changed plans and being fitted to a PSV10. Out were the factory supplied Weinmann, then installed the CLB (believe GL type) and now to the Professional. Really impressed how well the GL performed and will keep for another project.

------
Found a French write up on CLB (translated).

A firm with world renown since in the years 1960-1970 the American market was in strong demand from where a commercialization of CLB products with in some cases a specific brand (Evian)
To date, a quick search on the European basis shows 21 patents in the name of Angenieux CLB, mainly for 2 applications braking (and in the 1970s we find the development of CLB2 which we will discuss later) but also concerning bicycle frame assembly with the partnership with Vitus (the mythical 979)
Brakes much sought after at a time when the search for relief was an absolute obession (although at the expense of safety because we must recognize the power was not their strong point design requires for the first generations)
Brakes

3 models will be detailed, an article on the precursor racer model will probably be realized in the coming weeks
GL model
The first being the GL model , personally the one I had the opportunity to test at the time. This is the most widespread CLB and remained a standard until the early 1990s.
It is a side pull system of simple pivot type

The alloy used is a silicon grade aluminum (13% in this grade hence the name AS13 in the commercial references) widely used at that time in the foundry. The know-how of angénieux CLB was a perfect mastery of the molding by shell from where the use of this shade of aluminum (the presence of silicon was particularly adapted to such a technique of implementation).

In view of today it is an alloy having average mechanical properties in comparison with aluminum zinc or magnesium.

Thus the elastic resistance (Rp0.2) is for this grade around 80-100MPa , a 5086 135 MPa alloy , a 6061T6 240MPa and finally the 7075T6 480MPa ( why choose the other 3 grades for this comparison ? , simply because they have been democratized with the development of aluminum frames, the 5086 in the 90s the owners of peugeot will surely remember, the 6061 after that I remember very well my caad3 from Cannondale late 90s and finally the 7075 )

This does not mean, however, that without design changes we would have a 4 times stiffer set by choosing the 7075 vs the AS13 (equivalent design rigidity mainly depends on the young module which is very close for all families of alloys. ). To be simple, the Young's modulus corresponds to the link between the stress exerted and the elongation in the elastic domain, so we can say that it is a coefficient of rigidity ( it gives me an idea to make an article of democratization of the choice materials and main criteria "mechanical )

But this would either refine the elements (so additional weight gain) or change the design (increase sections to limit bending) while maintaining the current weight by reducing the thickness of materials.

In this case, however, we must completely review the manufacturing process, we guess that the strength of CLB (shell molding) involved the use of nuances now outdated, which today would be a handicap (the solutions used are focused on the forging or the machining in the mass). For information, the latest marketed light solutions (for example the EE Cycle Works brakes or the KCNC B1) are made of aluminum 7075T6

The second is the professional model that retains the principle of GL but with a desire to lighten the whole by the use of zycral (aluminum alloy zinc also called 7075 used later for the design of frames in the 90s before advent of carbons) or titanium. The result is spectacular with calipers depending on the series that can go below 100g! (especially in compact version)

The third finally new generation CLB2 race (and CLB1 from the 80s)
Developed in the 70s (the French patents are respectively 1971 and 1972), it is a profound change with passage to the central draw (return to this technique used at the time of the racer). The weight is announced around 160g (vs 120 for the professional model) but a higher efficiency (hence the slogan 2 times more effective!)

Unfortunately the company Angénieux CLB no longer exists, the latest brake models were marketed in the early 90s. Let us mention for example CLB Omega (more than neighbor of the GL no?)
For the rest the end is "tragic" with
- a purchase in 1985 by sachs (which at the time bought the "small craftsmen" french as mate or huret) we could have a second large group in europe (in addition to campagnolo) to compete with the Japanese shimano (sachs being German but with mainly French manufacturing on the cycle part)

- but in 1987 Sachs is bought by Mannessman with a reorganization of the activity and to finish in 1991 by ceasing small ex-French activities. End of the adventure for CLB!
These are also technical choices that condemned CLB, for example having never proposed a double pivot system (see shimano one of the precursors in the field) or a manufacturing method that has not evolved.

Old 10-13-19, 06:20 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
For the time being, I'm done with tubes of glue and the shipping of them.

For the cost of 5 little tubes AND free shipping to boot.
Old 10-13-19, 06:25 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 747 Posts
^^^^ Yeah, my favorite. I'm on my second can. After opening, store it upside down so the volatile compounds don't burn off and allow the glue to harden.
Old 10-13-19, 07:01 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by bicyclridr4life
A bill.
Originally Posted by cboy1980
sorry, I feel you. But was quite fun to see your answer
Mine was the gas bill but it was less than $13 so I got lucky since I haven't spared the heater.

I expected over $20 more so that means I got good news in the mail!
Old 10-13-19, 07:07 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked 814 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
Interesting feedback on the ally cables. Hindsight I should have purchased a NOS set last year for pittance but I guess won't miss them that much.

Anyways, these brakes were going for a planned French lightweight but changed plans and being fitted to a PSV10. Out were the factory supplied Weinmann, then installed the CLB (believe GL type) and now to the Professional. Really impressed how well the GL performed and will keep for another project.

------
Found a French write up on CLB (translated).

A firm with world renown since in the years 1960-1970 the American market was in strong demand from where a commercialization of CLB products with in some cases a specific brand (Evian)
To date, a quick search on the European basis shows 21 patents in the name of Angenieux CLB, mainly for 2 applications braking (and in the 1970s we find the development of CLB2 which we will discuss later) but also concerning bicycle frame assembly with the partnership with Vitus (the mythical 979)
Brakes much sought after at a time when the search for relief was an absolute obession (although at the expense of safety because we must recognize the power was not their strong point design requires for the first generations)
Brakes

3 models will be detailed, an article on the precursor racer model will probably be realized in the coming weeks
GL model
The first being the GL model , personally the one I had the opportunity to test at the time. This is the most widespread CLB and remained a standard until the early 1990s.
It is a side pull system of simple pivot type

The alloy used is a silicon grade aluminum (13% in this grade hence the name AS13 in the commercial references) widely used at that time in the foundry. The know-how of angénieux CLB was a perfect mastery of the molding by shell from where the use of this shade of aluminum (the presence of silicon was particularly adapted to such a technique of implementation).

In view of today it is an alloy having average mechanical properties in comparison with aluminum zinc or magnesium.

Thus the elastic resistance (Rp0.2) is for this grade around 80-100MPa , a 5086 135 MPa alloy , a 6061T6 240MPa and finally the 7075T6 480MPa ( why choose the other 3 grades for this comparison ? , simply because they have been democratized with the development of aluminum frames, the 5086 in the 90s the owners of peugeot will surely remember, the 6061 after that I remember very well my caad3 from Cannondale late 90s and finally the 7075 )

This does not mean, however, that without design changes we would have a 4 times stiffer set by choosing the 7075 vs the AS13 (equivalent design rigidity mainly depends on the young module which is very close for all families of alloys. ). To be simple, the Young's modulus corresponds to the link between the stress exerted and the elongation in the elastic domain, so we can say that it is a coefficient of rigidity ( it gives me an idea to make an article of democratization of the choice materials and main criteria "mechanical )

But this would either refine the elements (so additional weight gain) or change the design (increase sections to limit bending) while maintaining the current weight by reducing the thickness of materials.

In this case, however, we must completely review the manufacturing process, we guess that the strength of CLB (shell molding) involved the use of nuances now outdated, which today would be a handicap (the solutions used are focused on the forging or the machining in the mass). For information, the latest marketed light solutions (for example the EE Cycle Works brakes or the KCNC B1) are made of aluminum 7075T6

The second is the professional model that retains the principle of GL but with a desire to lighten the whole by the use of zycral (aluminum alloy zinc also called 7075 used later for the design of frames in the 90s before advent of carbons) or titanium. The result is spectacular with calipers depending on the series that can go below 100g! (especially in compact version)

The third finally new generation CLB2 race (and CLB1 from the 80s)
Developed in the 70s (the French patents are respectively 1971 and 1972), it is a profound change with passage to the central draw (return to this technique used at the time of the racer). The weight is announced around 160g (vs 120 for the professional model) but a higher efficiency (hence the slogan 2 times more effective!)

Unfortunately the company Angénieux CLB no longer exists, the latest brake models were marketed in the early 90s. Let us mention for example CLB Omega (more than neighbor of the GL no?)
For the rest the end is "tragic" with
- a purchase in 1985 by sachs (which at the time bought the "small craftsmen" french as mate or huret) we could have a second large group in europe (in addition to campagnolo) to compete with the Japanese shimano (sachs being German but with mainly French manufacturing on the cycle part)

- but in 1987 Sachs is bought by Mannessman with a reorganization of the activity and to finish in 1991 by ceasing small ex-French activities. End of the adventure for CLB!
These are also technical choices that condemned CLB, for example having never proposed a double pivot system (see shimano one of the precursors in the field) or a manufacturing method that has not evolved.

Thank you for the great info on CLB.
As you noted, the brakes are perfect for Vitus frame builds and that's what I did on my Vitus Plus Carbone 7. Installing the CLB Pro brakes on it got it down to its present weenie weight of 16.73 pounds. Still looking for a proper Stronglight Ti BB to get the weight to the low 16's or high 15's and finish off the weenie build.
Old 10-14-19, 05:40 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2912 Post(s)
Liked 2,836 Times in 1,460 Posts
Either we live in a really god neighborhood or the Porch Pirates are very lazy. This was by the door when I got home from work.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 10-15-19, 08:32 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Originally Posted by Chombi1
Thank you for the great info on CLB.
As you noted, the brakes are perfect for Vitus frame builds and that's what I did on my Vitus Plus Carbone 7. Installing the CLB Pro brakes on it got it down to its present weenie weight of 16.73 pounds. Still looking for a proper Stronglight Ti BB to get the weight to the low 16's or high 15's and finish off the weenie build.

Envious! That is a well thought build and presents wicked cool.

---
The CLB 'GL' set removed from the PSV10. I just swapped to the CLB Professional and will admit there is little difference. Both have stock pads, equal performance, and weight is a slight nod to the Professional. The leverage feels the same too. Cable to arm reciprocated.

But.... drum roll, please.. The Pug is now exactly 21 lbs. Not an oz. + or -. Stock French parts of the era, no light fasteners or drillium. FMB rubber is on the wish list to replace the temp Vitt Rally tubulars.

CLB 'GL' brakeset

Last edited by crank_addict; 10-15-19 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10-20-19, 11:43 PM
AliH

Bikes: Mike Kowal Aravis Touring bike, 1952 Claud Butler Massed Start, 1959 Dawes Red feather, 1975 Carlton Criterium, 1997 Specialized Rockhopper, Bianchi Merlo MiniVelo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 31 Posts
Not vintage - but to facilitate my Bridgestone Eurasia

A 28.6mm cable stop to fix the one that I snapped off my frame trying to get the (modern) cable end in!
Old 10-21-19, 04:27 AM
B._W.

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Shimano 105 crankarm
Old 10-21-19, 05:00 AM
EmilDaBoda

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just received an SR Super Extra Light stem for a full-on Japanese build
Old 10-21-19, 06:04 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 420 Posts
Cambium C17 in nearly new condition, via Ebay. I'm a Brooks believer with 3 B-17s and 2 Pros. The stock Specialized Avatar on my Roubaix is starting to bug me after 12 years. So I thought I'd try a modern all weather Brooks Cambium. Hoping for legendary Brooks fit and comfort.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 10-21-19 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-21-19, 07:58 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Two Pasela Protite folding 700x25c tires from thebikesmiths.com for $57.70 shipped.
Old 10-23-19, 05:47 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2385 Post(s)
Liked 2,931 Times in 1,862 Posts

A GB Nova Stem and "Viking" Handlebar in beautiful condition...a bit of polishing and my first British item purchase. They are exquisite in my opinion.

It might have to go on my soon-to-be arriving Cassani oddity...

Oh...and nice pink T-Mobile Shimano pedals for BC Awareness month!

Last edited by jdawginsc; 10-23-19 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-23-19, 06:17 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1192 Post(s)
Liked 1,327 Times in 708 Posts
@jdawginsc Those BC pedals are pretty awesome.
Old 10-23-19, 06:49 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 627 Posts
@jdawginsc

use them for BC month... and beyond! Thank you for helping spread the awareness!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.