Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Tuck and roll

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Tuck and roll

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-17, 01:29 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Tuck and roll

One of the first things we learned when I started doing martial arts was to duck and roll when you see that you're falling. I used that again on my ride into work this morning, and I was glad I had the practice. My commute takes me across 2 busy suburban roads, and it seems that I always end up getting stuck waiting for the light to change at both of these crossings. This morning wasn't any different and like most days I'm going to continue forward while most of the traffic turns at this intersection. This means I usually have to wait for the turn arrows to finish before the light turns green for the cars continuing forwards, and this morning I waited the usual 3 seconds after the turn arrow changed back to red before proceeding forward. Except this morning the car behind me hadn't tripped the sensor and the light turned green for crosstraffic as I pedaled through the intersection. The last car hadn't seen me and started to go as I got too close, resulting in my doing an uncontrolled stoppie that ended up with me on the pavement. No real harm was done beyond some sore spots (I found out that another benefit to wearing a backpack is the padding when rolling like I did), and my days of waiting for the light to change instead of safely running the red light are over there.
Old 11-13-17, 01:49 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
I stumbled on this. I have taught many children and adults to ride a bike. Some of them are scared when starting out. To alleviate their fears, I bring them to a soft grassy ground and have them practice the "stage fall" which actors use: ankle, knee, hip, elbow, shoulder. It's OK to do it in slow motion. Once they do this, they realize that falling won't necessarily hurt, and they can get back on the bike and try again.

I did this with them, which inadvertently gave me practice.

Then I fell off my bike. When I got back up, I realized I was unhurt, because I had done what I had rehearsed.

This has happened several times since I taught those lessons.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-13-17, 02:40 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Yep, you never know when you're going to need to do this.
Old 11-13-17, 03:31 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Unfortunately, trying to find a video for this on YouTube only results in vids of "hilarious" spills. Any recommendation for a tutorial? When I fall I tend to break, dislocate, or sprain things, and I would like to not.
Old 11-13-17, 04:16 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
The first thing my judo instructor in college told us was a story of how he was biking at night in the rain when he first came to America, hit a pothole, and survived only because of the instinctive break fall he did. It happened so fast, he was already lying on the ground face up before he realized what had happened.

He then had us practice break falling for the next 3/4ths of the semester...
Old 11-13-17, 05:11 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Originally Posted by Korina
Unfortunately, trying to find a video for this on YouTube only results in vids of "hilarious" spills. Any recommendation for a tutorial? When I fall I tend to break, dislocate, or sprain things, and I would like to not.
I like this one.
Tuck your chin, break your fall with the arm on the same side if possible and aim to land on the shoulder and then roll out. In martial arts you want to roll out to a standing defensive position - kind of like diving into a pool at first and then rolling to stand. My martial arts teachers (sensies) all said the same thing - it doesn't have to be pretty it just has to work and when you need to use some of your skills it's not going to be the controlled environment as in the dojo. Don't worry about having everything look good, worry about things working.
Old 11-13-17, 07:00 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Check this one:

Old 11-13-17, 10:41 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
What a fun video!
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-14-17, 11:50 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Here is one I found. You may want to save time and start at 1:05.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 11-14-17, 12:48 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Thanks @no motor?, @SylvainG, and @noglider, very good videos. I suppose the principles are the same when you're falling from 15+ mph and a squat, just, y'know, faster.

My last fall was on foot as I was rushing to catch the bus, and I went down straight forward. Fortunately this time I didn't sprain my right forearm, but I did bend the ribs on my left side; nearly a month later and they're still a bit sore. I think I'm going to try to join a gym, both to strengthen my core and learn falling, if I can afford the $$$.

PARKOUR!
Old 11-14-17, 01:01 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

If joining a gym is an obstacle, do those things without a gym. I use a barbell in my bedroom. I practice falling on soft ground. If I joined a gym, I know myself well enough to know I wouldn't go.

Old 11-14-17, 07:18 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 2,534 Posts
thx for posting. I have a friend who was recently nailed on his motorcycle by a car that blatantly ran a red light. He's alive and it seems likely (but not certain) that he'll walk again, and he credits his years of martial arts for giving him the instinct of how to fall, and injure him less than otherwise.