Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Topeak Racks Qs

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Topeak Racks Qs

Old 06-01-19, 09:57 AM
kovacsa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Topeak Racks Qs

Hi, Does anyone have experience with Topeak racks and bags? I'm looking to get the MTX TRUNKBAG DXP bag with one of the following racks. I have a hybrid bike with disc brakes, so I'm looking at disc brake model racks.

There's a lot of choice in Topeak racks, so I'm reaching out to anyone who has experience with them.

Considerations:

The DX models have a seperate bar for panniers, but I'm not looking to get full on panniers atm as the trunk bag comes with saddle bags that fold up when not needed. Do the bars on the DX models have any other use?

The "UNI" models have adjustable legs which seems like a good option as I'd like to set the legs lower as I've heard a lower center of gravity of better for bike stability.

I'm also little concerned with the saddles bags either fouling with the wheels or interfering with peddling. Anyone have experience with this?

Also, Anyone have any experience with the spings on Topeak racks?

I'm open to suggestions as well Thanks everyone!

UNI SUPER TOURIST DX (DISC)
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pro...urist-dx-(disc)

UNI SUPER TOURIST (DISC)
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pro...-tourist-(disc)

SUPER TOURIST DX (DISC) (W/O SPRING)
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pro...c)-(w-o-spring)

MTX TRUNKBAG DXP
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pro...x-trunkbag-dxp
Old 06-01-19, 11:49 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I have the Explorer disc rack and regular rack and a fat bike rack by Topeak. DXP trunk bag works on all. I also attach Ortlieb panniers for touring. Don’t use the pannier specific Tourist rack, and it’s fine. Very strong and durable. Only mod is to add strips of friction tape to the slide area of the rack to eliminate rattling.
Old 06-01-19, 02:24 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
They work fine. Two drawbacks to them:
- They're styling is ok but I prefer better styling
- When you hit a bump with the bike the attachment system is more likely to make noise than straps do
Old 06-01-19, 02:28 PM
kovacsa

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
They work fine. Two drawbacks to them:
- They're styling is ok but I prefer better styling
- When you hit a bump with the bike the attachment system is more likely to make noise than straps do
Okay, Thanks for this. Someone else mentioned rattles aswell. For any rattling spots, I'll probably put hockey tape
Old 06-01-19, 02:34 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by kovacsa
Okay, Thanks for this. Someone else mentioned rattles aswell. For any rattling spots, I'll probably put hockey tape
It's relatively minor, it's just a personal nitpik of mine.

The racks themselves are rock solid. The problem is the plastic piece on the bag that slides into the metal thing on the rack can bump around against the rack when the bike hits a jolt causing some noise. I don't think it's a tapeable thing.

Not a big deal if you don't mind. The rack was good and the bag seemed solid and well made.
Old 06-01-19, 10:49 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I might have been the one that mentioned the rattle. I got one with the fold out side bags along with my tadpole. The rattle is harmless and other than that it works great. If it even turns up at all for you, you could probably prevent it with some weather seal or something like that. If it hadn’t been attached I likely wouldn’t have bought it. The quick release seems to work fine but I don’t actually park anywhere that I need to use it.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 06-01-19 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06-02-19, 07:58 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
It's relatively minor, it's just a personal nitpik of mine.

The racks themselves are rock solid. The problem is the plastic piece on the bag that slides into the metal thing on the rack can bump around against the rack when the bike hits a jolt causing some noise. I don't think it's a tapeable thing.

Not a big deal if you don't mind. The rack was good and the bag seemed solid and well made.
It is a tapeable thing. Just apply strips of friction tape on the rack deck to eliminate rattling. Or hockey tape. A couple thin layers is enough to silence the noise, but still allows the bag to slide on and off easily.
Old 06-02-19, 08:12 PM
downwinded

Bikes: 2014 Trek Crossrip LTD, 2013 Raleigh Misceo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A little piece of an old inner tube will stop your rattle.
Old 06-03-19, 06:23 AM
beachball42

Bikes: Trek Verve 2, Trek 4900 MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I have a Trek Verve 2 Hybrid but no disc breaks and I do have the Topeak 29er rack and the MTX Topeak DXP trunk bag. With the hybrid bike just make sure to measure your tires, the first rack I bought was to short and didn't clear the tire so I had to go larger and get the 29er rack. Outside of that, the rack and the bag work great.

At first I was a little worried about hitting the bag when pedaling as I have size 13 shoes but I've not had any issue with hitting them. I've had some rattling when I hit bumps but nothing bad and it's usually worse when I don't have as much in the trunk bag. I've been using it for about a year now and have been very happy with both the rack and the bag.
Old 06-05-19, 07:34 AM
BThomp

Bikes: Trek 870

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mtx trunkbag dxp

I have this one for a short daily commute. The pockets expand out to accommodate a buncha room. Did the C&O canal last year with this and a front bag....with room to spare. When you don't need the additional space, read transporting lap top and change of cloths, the pockets fold up. Had an earlier Trunkbag that broke the plastic retaining clip. Other then that I've been pretty pleased with it. Use the shoulder strap when I get off the bike and use it on the DC Metro.
The TRUNKBAG fits into this group nicely. If I were to go for a longer ride, like next year Pittsburg to DC, I'd probably get a set of front bags.
Old 06-05-19, 07:44 AM
88Tempo

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
I use a Topeak rack setup on 2 bikes. It's convenient being able to switch the bag between the bikes easily.

I haven't really noticed any noises from mine, but I have a fairly significant amount of hearing loss too.

Overall I think they are a pretty solid buy.