Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bike racks

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Bike racks

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-19, 03:27 PM
Cdn Mtns

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike racks

Hi, I will be installing some bike racks in campgrounds for bike touring visitors. Can anyone tell me what type of bike racks work best for touring bikes? We will anchor them to the ground for security, so campers can lock their bikes to the rack with peace of mind. Thank you!
Old 09-10-19, 03:39 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Interesting question.

Best for me are racks where your bike can lean on, i.e. avoid those where you slide your front wheel between posts. Impossible with front (pannier) racks.

Several variants. Quick google yields U-racks. Simple and effective.
Old 09-10-19, 03:59 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
In campgrounds, I would assume the bicyclists would want to keep their bikes in the campsites close to them. I like to string a cable around a picnic table bench to lock my bike frame to the table if a convenient tree is not available.

Not sure where your bike racks would be, is there a rack in each campsite?
Old 09-10-19, 05:29 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
Interesting question.

Best for me are racks where your bike can lean on, i.e. avoid those where you slide your front wheel between posts. Impossible with front (pannier) racks.

Several variants. Quick google yields U-racks. Simple and effective.
^^This^^
Old 09-10-19, 05:35 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Ditto the U-racks.
Old 09-11-19, 05:32 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
OP! Stay mindful of the weight of many touring rigs: bike, luggage, camping gear, food, everything else. Far more than a recreational bike will weigh. On my recent 5 day tour the whole shebang weighed 70lbs. Be sure that your racks are designed for that. I agree that the usual city park/school yard racks with slots for the front wheel will be a very poor design.

I would also prefer a rack at my campsite where I can see and hear it all night. Otherwise I'd forsake the racks and use a tree. It would be nice if the rack is narrow enough to fit between the saddle and the bars, not interfere with the front nor rear panniers. Great for us old farts that have no kick stands.
Old 09-11-19, 05:40 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
I'd plan on two kinds of visitors. Those stopping by to use facilities, see sites, etc, and those staying. Racks would be in different locations for the different types of users. As was mentioned those staying will want their bikes with them in their camp site. Most often they lock to a picnic table or tree, but a U rack might be nice there. Elsewhere, like outside office, showers, beach, and other facilities and attractions, U racks are also nice since panniers are not a problem with them.

Personally I usually find I can improvise a place to lock the bike in the campsite, so racks in the other locations may actually be more important.

Basically any rack where you lean the bike against the rack is fine as long as there is space for the width of the panniers. Take care to keep U racks (or other lean type racks) far enough apart for loaded bikes.

Last edited by staehpj1; 09-11-19 at 05:44 AM.
Old 09-11-19, 05:55 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
i'd never lock my bike up at a central spot, always want it with me.

so what other facilities do you have at each campsite? maybe you could weld/bolt a solid metal ring to something at an appropriate height to run a cable through. that something should be able to hold up a heavy bike leaned against it....for all the loaded tourbikes without kickstands.

Last edited by saddlesores; 09-11-19 at 06:04 AM.
Old 09-11-19, 07:00 AM
staehpj1

Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
i'd never lock my bike up at a central spot, always want it with me.
Yes, the only places I have stayed where I leave my bike anywhere away from where I am overnight is when there was a secure place that the bike was locked up in where there was no unauthorized access to it. That was usually at hotels or hostels though, never campsites.

How do you mean the "always want it with me" thing? It can't be an absolute thing for me. I would feel like a prisoner to my bike if I carried that too far. If you just mean you insist on taking it to your camp site that is one thing. If you never go hike for a few hours, or leave it locked up and go to the beach or whatever attractions a camp has, or lock it up and go inside a museum, or whatever.

I would hate to lose my bike and/or gear but am willing to take some risk of loss in order to enjoy my tour. I weigh all that in to the choices I make including what I spend on bike and gear, what risks I accept, and so on. I think that it is more likely I won't ever have my bike stolen on tour, but it is far from a zero chance and I just have to accept that chance. It helps that I have gear that is pretty nice, but still cheap enough that I could write a check and replace it all without too much pain and on a long tour I could be going again in a couple days.

so what other facilities do you have at each campsite? maybe you could weld/bolt a solid metal ring to something at an appropriate height to run a cable through. that something should be able to hold up a heavy bike leaned against it....for all the loaded tourbikes without kickstands.
We typically leaned our bikes against picnic tables at most camp sites. When alone that worked very well because I only needed one side of the bench to sit at and it was easy to lock the bike on the other side.

When there are more riders it gets more awkward since there are more bikes and more seating and food prep area needed. We leaned our bikes against the ends of the table, but there was usually nothing to lock to there. Sometimes we moved the bikes to the sides to lock them (when turning in for the night or when leaving the site), sometimes we just locked them to each other (not very secure, but since we were there we accepted the risk level), sometimes we improvised something else. Anyway, maybe if there was something added to the ends of the table to lock to that would be adequate.

Given the choice, I'd still choose the U rack solution. Even a single rack would be okay for me (two bikes leaned against each side), but two U racks would be nice.

That said I never really complained when there was just a picnic table to lock to

Last edited by staehpj1; 09-11-19 at 07:03 AM.
Old 09-11-19, 07:28 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
always with me in a situational awareness sorta way. during the day, depending on location, can lock up and go into a store or museum for ten minutes to an hour. out in the boonies, can lock near a trailhead for a few hours. at night is when i mean i want it with me unless there are secure storage options. either locked to a pickanick table or fence at the campsite, or in the hotel room.
Old 09-11-19, 08:50 AM
Happy Feet

Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Another vote for U type rack and not a front wheel design. Even a bicycle height longer hitching post would work for several bikes.
Old 09-11-19, 08:54 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
When I read the question, my first thought was for well-spaced, U-racks, so I agree with that. But I also agree with everyone that mentions keeping their bikes close to them. You are especially sensitive to bike theft when it's your mode of transportation, and it is very inconvenient to park your bike at a central location when your bike is holding all your gear. A couple of U-racks at or immediately adjacent to the campsites would be welcome. I would not expect them to be heavily used if the bikes had to be parked out of view of the owner.
Old 09-11-19, 09:01 AM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
I would want the rack to be close to my site -- even part of my site, so that I don't have to leave the bike out of sight. The best racks seem to be the ones that make the fewest assumptions on how a bike must be shaped. At my work I sometimes am unable to get a spot at the long railing in the bike lockup, and have to hang my bike by its wheel on one of the vertical racks. Those things are terrible because if hung by its front wheel a U-lock doesn't reach the rack's U, and if hung by the rear wheel the rear derailleur comes in contact with the rack.

A U rack is simple and effective. I'd go with that.