Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

very friendly driver this morning

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-09, 05:26 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts

So this morning just before I reached my work, I was coming to an intersection, light was red there were two vehicles one on the right and one on the left waiting for the light to change. My face was covered with a balaclava. I was gona be making a left turn so I went in the middle between the two vehicles and stopped.
The vehicle on the right had a window rolled down and the driver a young guy started talking to me. He said he seen me coming up behind and he thought for a moment that I was trying to sneak up on him and rob him. I just laughed and told him no I would never do that, I am only going to work like everybody else. So he just laughed about it and started asking me questions. He asked if I was cold and I said no , I said as long as I keep moving then I am ok. He then realized that I was cycling because I like it and not because I am a DUI or something. The conversetion went on for a while, he asked me reasons why I was bike commuting and he complemented my bike. Then when the light finally changed just before he drove away he told me to stay safe and have a merry christmass.
I wish more drivers were so polite towards cyclist.
Old 12-23-09, 06:20 PM
Lionheart

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
I had one last week. My first commute in 2.5 years. I'm stopped at a red light, she pulls up on my left, her window is already down, and says "Excuse me, you really ought to put something on the back of your bicycle to make you more visible. You're outfit is very good but..."

My Nova Bull taillight had gone out a few miles previous. I already knew this and told her "Thanks, I have a very bright taillight but it just stopped working this morning and I'll have to troubleshoot it when I get home. You should see it when it works, it's really bright." I think she was genuinely concerned for my safety. It was about 6:15am and still very dark out (and cold).

Just waitin' for my Radbot and I'll be back out there.
Old 12-23-09, 07:10 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Lionheart
I had one last week. My first commute in 2.5 years. I'm stopped at a red light, she pulls up on my left, her window is already down, and says "Excuse me, you really ought to put something on the back of your bicycle to make you more visible. You're outfit is very good but..."

My Nova Bull taillight had gone out a few miles previous. I already knew this and told her "Thanks, I have a very bright taillight but it just stopped working this morning and I'll have to troubleshoot it when I get home. You should see it when it works, it's really bright." I think she was genuinely concerned for my safety. It was about 6:15am and still very dark out (and cold).

Just waitin' for my Radbot and I'll be back out there.
You should seriously consider a two-light system. I travel with a xenon strobe and a Pb SuperFlash on the rear. 20-watt halogen and blinkie on the front. This because I too have lost a light on the way home.... which could easily prove deadly.
Old 12-23-09, 09:39 PM
GaryNoTrashCoug
Freewheel Burning

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom 29, Trek 850 Mountain Track

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At first, I thought this was going to be something sarcastic but it's refreshing to see that there are still some decent people out there! If I may nag the OP for a moment though, I've found out the hard way that it's really not a good idea to squeeze in between cars at an intersection. Contrary to what you might think, it's actually safer to take the lane when you're stopped. I've found that it's the best way to avoid getting right/left hooked, passed too close, etc.
Old 12-23-09, 09:42 PM
paul2432

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
You should seriously consider a two-light system. I travel with a xenon strobe and a Pb SuperFlash on the rear. 20-watt halogen and blinkie on the front. This because I too have lost a light on the way home.... which could easily prove deadly.
It also helps to have plenty of reflective stuff.

Paul