Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any experience dealing with Canyon (or other direct sellers)?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-14, 03:22 AM
reqm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Has anyone recently purchased a bike from Canyon (or other direct sellers)? Would love to hear of any good/bad experiences you had (initial shipment, quality of shipped goods, after sales service and customer support, etc.)
I'm highly interested in placing an order, but as it costs approx. $420USD for shipping to Korea, I'm hesitant from pulling the trigger...

So far, I submitted a few simple questions regarding sizing and shipment using the 'contact us' feature on their homepage about 3 days ago, but haven't heard back other than the automated response. Not a good first impression so far..

Does the cost savings from buying direct warrant the risks and uncertainties of ordering online? Cost-wise, I think it is still favourable, even taking the huge $420 shipping cost into account.

Just want to hear what others have experienced with this method of purchase
Old 04-08-14, 12:20 AM
reqm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After some more reading around the web, Canyon seems to be well known for their poor communication, even to urgent repair or defect inquiries. They do, however, seem to eventually provide nice bikes.
I think the lack of communication is going to be a big turn off for me as the distance between Korea and Germany as well as the shipping cost is just too much.
Old 04-08-14, 07:12 AM
PiLigand
Climbing: Ropes or Wheels

Bikes: 2012 Scott Foil 30, Homebrew Windsor Fens Build, 2015 Fuji Touring, 1980 Univega

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No shipping to the United States. Huh. Can't help but be a little surprised.
Old 04-08-14, 10:02 PM
reqm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not available in the US or Canada. That was a surprise.. I just assumed it'd be sold there for sure since it's a popular brand.
Old 04-08-14, 10:13 PM
Team Sarcasm

Bikes: One with square wheels

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have read a few mixed reviews on them, and of course the bad stuck out to me. What I remember was their cruddy communication speed. Their bikes look awesome though

If I would you, I would go with a local brand, but if you have the money and want to go with them, I don't see why not. But be prepared to have slow (and probably pricey)turn around times for any manufacturing errors.
Old 04-10-14, 06:39 AM
reqm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Team Sarcasm
I have read a few mixed reviews on them, and of course the bad stuck out to me. What I remember was their cruddy communication speed. Their bikes look awesome though

If I would you, I would go with a local brand, but if you have the money and want to go with them, I don't see why not. But be prepared to have slow (and probably pricey)turn around times for any manufacturing errors.
There's certainly enough good LBS around me that offer deals worth looking at. If it takes them more than one week to answer simple sizing questions, I can't imagine how long their after sales service will take if anything goes wrong. Simply not worth the risk... no matter how good their bikes look. Heard enough nightmare stories as well.
Old 04-10-14, 12:32 PM
dbf73
TFO

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL7 eTap, Felt AR-B, Colnago Master Mapei

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
anyone know whatever happened to the announced hookup between Canyon and Competitive Cyclist? Since all of the announcements (I could find) are several years old, I assume this went tango uniform as the silence since then is deafening.