Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Nutrition, Heroin addiction, the road, weight loss, nutrition, and Life

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Nutrition, Heroin addiction, the road, weight loss, nutrition, and Life

Old 06-15-15, 07:27 AM
jk_flip

Bikes: 1998 road master "little 5" fixed gear, 98ish aluminum GT triple triangle road bike, 8 speed with dura ace lever shifters and Mavic aksiums, 2016 Trek ALR 6/ultegra/Bontrager race lights

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Chad Gerlach. Raced with him last week.
Cool, I wish he had a book
Old 06-15-15, 07:28 AM
jk_flip

Bikes: 1998 road master "little 5" fixed gear, 98ish aluminum GT triple triangle road bike, 8 speed with dura ace lever shifters and Mavic aksiums, 2016 Trek ALR 6/ultegra/Bontrager race lights

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Twelve steps of recovery:

Steps 1-12: Ride the bike
Thats what I like to hear, thank you
Old 06-15-15, 07:37 AM
jk_flip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh yea, it's a 16 mile round trip to the best secret private swimming hole in Indiana, I have permission to go there anytime I want. So I often try and get my friends to come to this place, it's breath taking. Its frustrating how often they say no because they were out drinking on a Saturday night and have no energy all day Sunday. They don't even know what they're missing. And It's so much more enjoyable to get up early on a Sunday and do a hard long ride in the am, then a short slow ride/swim/rope swing in the afternoon. That's more fun then any single night I've had drinking
Old 06-15-15, 08:41 AM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As far as ideal weight goes, there is some info out on the web considering wrist measurement, that dimension will give you a plus or minus number from the mean value. It adds about ten lbs for me at 5'8". Skeletons of equal height are not identical (spinning off the never seen a fat skeleton bit hehe).

Bill
Old 06-15-15, 08:45 AM
Willbird

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Using Frame Size to Determine Body Weight

That might work :-)....comes up with a different number than the lame old anorexia central BMI charts
Old 06-15-15, 10:15 AM
eyewannabike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First, congrats on your progress. Nothing better than hearing people take ownership for their actions. It definitely makes you sound serious. Your story reminded me of something I saw on Real Sports on HBO a few years back.

175: October 18, 2011: Synopsis

Tracking it down would be worth your while.

Keep up the great work.

Cycling nutrition and losing weight nutrition are two different things. To lose weight, you probably need to cut out carbs and stick with rides of about an hour twice a day. That will pretty much force your body to burn fat.
Old 06-15-15, 11:17 AM
jk_flip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Weighed 164.4 this morning. I think from everything I've heard if I just eat a lot but very healthy and ride hard my body will level out to what it should be, who cares about the weight, that's 40 pounds in 3 months, almost too much. Long term and slow. That's what I got out of this, eat for long rides, almost anything works, it's splitting hairs, it's what agrees with me and what I can enjoy. I love the idea of the pancake with Nutella and fruit, a few gels, nuts, seeds, 1 bar. Mixing it up. Now I'm just going to check out that skratch labs book and look into if I even want to do something other then water mixed with whatever knudsen or g2 Gatorade that's cheap. Thanks dudes
Old 06-15-15, 11:18 AM
jk_flip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely. Thank you. And HBO, it's going to be really good
Old 06-15-15, 01:03 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by jk_flip
Weighed 164.4 this morning. I think from everything I've heard if I just eat a lot but very healthy and ride hard my body will level out to what it should be, who cares about the weight, that's 40 pounds in 3 months, almost too much. Long term and slow. That's what I got out of this, eat for long rides, almost anything works, it's splitting hairs, it's what agrees with me and what I can enjoy. I love the idea of the pancake with Nutella and fruit, a few gels, nuts, seeds, 1 bar. Mixing it up. Now I'm just going to check out that skratch labs book and look into if I even want to do something other then water mixed with whatever knudsen or g2 Gatorade that's cheap. Thanks dudes
Bingo
Better to bring a bit too much water & food with you, than not enough. You'll figure out what works for you, and how much to bring, pretty quickly.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 06-15-15, 01:25 PM
Willbird

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jk_flip
There are TWO Feedzone books, one is Portables, the other has other recipes and portables.

I honestly never got past a 2-3 recipes but they were all good, the one is Mushroom Swiss frittata and he has allowed other websites to post it up. I guess it is so good that I never dug into more recipes :-). I have made it with brown and white rice both, it is not a picky recipe really. I always thought Brown Rice was a higher GI carb but I got to reading recently and the consensus seemed to be that white and brown are same GI but brown might be a more "complete carb" with some amino's and such.

Start Your Day with Mushroom and Swiss Frittata | Runner's World

Bill
Old 06-15-15, 01:47 PM
Gallo

Bikes: 2019 KonaLibre- 2003 Litespeed Vortex -2016 Intense Spider Factory Build -2008 Wilier Mortorolio- Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail converted to bafang 750 mid drive -1986 Paramount 2014 - --- Pivot Mach 429c

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I like nuun tablets for electrolytes they are portable and when I think I need I use them. taste pretty good as well I tend to use them more in summer and less in winter but have them on board for long and hard rides just in case. Besides Cliff bars on long outings a hard boiled egg has been a go to. Cheap portable and real food with a bonus container that you can put tin the back pocket and eat on the fly.

I am trying to lose another 10 pounds as well so I am avoiding sugar and refined foods. Only two weeks into it so cant really say it is or is not working.

The most important thing when riding is to eat before your hungry and drink before your thirsty. If you wait for a bonk water or food your not coming back quick.

Congratulations on your past current and continued recovery.
Old 06-15-15, 02:36 PM
solo118

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP

Great story, glad for your recovery and new found "addiction"

Best of luck to you, it sounds like you are doing real well thus far.
Old 06-15-15, 02:42 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
As you get into the sport, you'll be pleasantly surprised to find other folks on bikes who are in recovery, pedaling the road to happy destiny.
Old 06-15-15, 04:51 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
OP, this is great. Good work! My brother in law is going through the exact same recovery for the same drug, it's been very painful and stop/start for years now. He doesn't talk about it much with me, but he discovered the gym a year ago and it seems like working out made all the difference for him just like biking has for you. A huge thing for him also seemed to be moving to a new city with a good support network of young people in recovery. He had to get away from the same circles of people that kept dragging him down. I don't know if you've been in Bloomington for a long time or whether the people that led you down that path are still in your life, but I can say that making friends through group rides and racing and cycling in general is a great way to get out of that mold and establish meaningful, healthy relationships with like-minded people that can fuel your new love for the sport.
Old 06-16-15, 06:08 AM
jk_flip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a bit of wisdom from my years with drugs that anyone and everyone should realize and pass along if necessary. Opiate pain killers get you every bit as high and are every bit as hard to come off of/ withdrawal as heroin. And often, due to the "stepping on" or "cutting" of heroin, the oxycodone/dillauded/ fentanyl is stronger then said heroin. The difference between someone with a pill addiction and heroine addiction is nothing, the only difference is its stigma/ societies perception. So, don't **** around with pain killers. They are over prescribed. Advil works fine for stitches/ wisdom teeth/ etc. I cut my thumb 90% off recently and turned the pain killers down and used Advil, it was fine
Old 06-16-15, 07:18 AM
Adonis72

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Amazing story by the OP. I commend you for taking the steps necessary to pull your life back together. I lost a cousin last year due to heroin addiction and it left behind some very hurt loved ones. Keep up the good fight!

Last edited by Adonis72; 06-16-15 at 07:35 AM.
Old 06-16-15, 07:26 AM
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You may be interested in the story of David Carr, the well-known NY Times writer, who died recently. He battled crack addition, and wrote movingly about his recovery, part of which included cycling:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_...8journalist%29

This is a really good story about one of his tours, that also goes into his background:

Addiction and Cycling | Bicycling
Old 06-16-15, 07:52 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Congrats! Don't give up!

Yeah, it will be hard sometimes!
Old 06-16-15, 09:00 AM
matchstick

Bikes: '14 Cannondale Synapse 6 Tiagra C || '09 Schwinn Madison Fixed Gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on the recover and weight loss. Its great to see someone gave you a chance and you're making the most of it.

If you ever want to slow down your ride a little bit, I'd love to go out next time I'm in Bloomington for work. I couldn't do 19mph but I am working on riding when I have time and getting my strength and endurance up every time I ride. Also, I think I need to check out the restaurant you work at next time I'm in town. I don't think I've been to a farm to table in Bloomington yet, but I could be mistaken. Feel free to PM me sometime.
Old 06-16-15, 12:20 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Congratulations on your accomplishments so far.

Not trying to be 'Debbie Downer', but please be aware that you are likely still getting some "pink cloud" going on. Do yourself a favor and become actively involved in your recovery in other ways as well. Go to some meetings, talk to folks, write a blog...something like that. Write down in a journal how GOOD this is, so that you can look back on it during hard times and give yourself something to hold onto and pull through the rough spot.
Old 06-16-15, 11:27 PM
RobertL

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well done!
Old 06-17-15, 05:37 AM
CNC2204
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Living life on life terms is a daily commitment to do the right thing [all] the time especially when you don't want to.

I don't want a pat on the back for doing what im spose to anyway.

Not sure why you want to "loose" weight.

If you ride alot and eat well the weight will be what its suppose to.

You are susceptible to cross addiction into other things like sex, shopping, gambling, food, working out ect now that your drug of choice is absent.

Strive for balance [daily] in all things of your life.

You can do it, God will help, don't try to do it alone, ask for help.

Be of service, its [not] about you.

Last edited by CNC2204; 06-17-15 at 06:01 AM.
Old 06-17-15, 09:23 AM
Willbird

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The first 7300 days are a gift, after that the real work starts :-).
Old 06-18-15, 09:31 AM
jk_flip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So in this last week I've noticed I've became way more irritable, kind of roid ragey, small things really frustrate/upset me and I find myself wanting to punch a wall/someone. Is that some sort of testosterone thing happening? Or just something personal I need to work on?
Old 06-18-15, 09:43 AM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No one on this forum can analyze your mood swings to tell you if that's normal or not. Target that extra energy and frustration into your pedals and hard workouts. Otherwise, seek counseling if it continues to be an issue.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.