Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cracked Rim....on a tour....out of state

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-15, 08:12 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

Riding Tour de Wyoming this week. On an impulse I shipped my spare bike, Trek 5900 to do the tour. I had not ridden it in 3-4 years. Incredibly nice route but lots of cattle guards that are designed for Bison so the bars are further apart than normal. Very rough crossing them. I was jolted so hard on one of them a lens on a tailight fell off.

I was hearing a faint sound at slow speeds that reminded me of a cracked rim. Checked it at the end of the ride and sure enough it was cracked petty good just below a drive side spoke on the rear wheel. There weren't any repair options today so nursed it for today's 60 miler, including a climb up to Mt Rushmore. I'm convinced the cattle guards caused it.

I picked up a loaner in Rapid City so I'm good for the rest of the tour. But I probably added a lot of wheel weight!!

Great route so far. Custer State Park, Wind Cave, Needles Highway and Mt Rushmore. Gotta love seeing the USA by bike and camping! Enjoyed some good beers and wine as well.

Anyone else cracked a wheel or had bike mechanicals away from home?

Last edited by jppe; 07-14-15 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-14-15, 09:29 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
What kind of rim?
Old 07-15-15, 03:40 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Were you heavy loaded or is this a supported tour? That's a nasty sort of thing you cant ignore. Glad you found the loaner to get by on. Hope the rest of your tour is successful!
Old 07-15-15, 07:51 AM
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On Bike Virginia a couple of weeks ago I broke the flange of a Zipp rear hub, which left one spoke with nowhere to connect. I had the mechanic zip tie the spoke so it wouldn't wander, and then he re-trued the wheel as best he could. I decided to just ride with it that way to see what would happen. I got another 160 miles out of it with no further problems, fortunately.
Old 07-15-15, 07:54 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,035 Times in 4,473 Posts
On a cross country tour in 1990 a pedal bearing disintgrated (cheap quill pedals) in Wyoming. One of the other guys had a tube of grease so I packed it with grease for two days until we got to Rock Springs, where there was a bike shop and they sold me some pedals off of a floor display bike.
Somewhere in Missouri my bottom bracket started clunking, it was a cartridge type and it got worn down. I had a stubby screwdriver and I borrowed a hammer from the motel we stayed at and I got it apart and wrapped it with teflon tape and hammered it back together. It worked!

On a 9 day tour around Oregon with my ex-wife I broke a drive side spoke miles from anything. Having broken spokes and wheels for years I had extra spokes with me, and a cassette-******* to remove the 7 speed screw-on cog. My wife was slightly annoyed by the delay.
Same trip, we went through some gravel and both double flatted. 4 flats at once! Again, she said something like "How long is this going to take?"
Old 07-15-15, 08:41 AM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
I've ridden every one of those locations on a motorcycle and, if you've never been there, I can't adequately describe how beautiful it is. But there are VERY few flat roads! So chapeau to you for making it up and down all those climbs! I better see a picture of your bike framed in a tunnel on Needles with Mt. Rushmore in the background! Last time I was there I asked one of the park rangers if there was a tour of the secret spy landing strip (from North By Northwest). There isn't.

But, yes, those buffalo guards really creep me out. They are so smooth, like trolley tracks, except there are a dozen of them right in a row. I can believe you cracked a rim on them. I've never had that bad a mechanical that far from home. I'm assuming your "loaner" is a spare rear wheel? What tires were you running? I'd really want 28's or 32's for those roads.

I hope you get the opportunity to ride Spearfish Canyon. I'd rate that as the most beautiful road I've ever been on anywhere.
Old 07-15-15, 10:34 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
LBS Here, provides service for the Touring cyclists all summer long .
Occasionally cannibalizing a wheel off a new bike on the sales floor if the usual spares are not suitable .

Touring, I cracked a (steel) frame, on ring of Kerry, and had it repaired in Ireland in a shop that welded together Stainless steel HVAC/Ductwork.
Old 07-15-15, 10:51 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
OMG jppe ... you are going to LOVE the pigtail turns on the Needles Highway.

I am insanely jealous. I did that road many moons ago and loved it!

Regale us with any pix you have!

Oh, and my "fix it however you can" touring story involved using vegetable oil (all that was available) to fix a squeak that was driving me nuts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Vic at Mt. Rushmore.jpg (91.6 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by Biker395; 07-15-15 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-15-15, 11:01 AM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe

Ran a giant spiral framing nail through a tire, tube and rim out in the middle of nowhere once. Had to call my wife to recover me as the nail was stuck in the rim too tight to remove it with the tools I had. I patched it up with some JB Weld and rode it for a long time after that though.

I've had spokes break and taco a back wheel, but haven't had that happen lately.
Old 07-15-15, 01:41 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,035 Times in 4,473 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395

Oh, and my "fix it however you can" touring story involved using vegetable oil (all that was available) to fix a squeak that was driving me nuts.
I've put sunscreen on the chain after water crossings on the mtb. Put Chapstick on my cleats when the creaking got to be too much.
Old 07-15-15, 05:52 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Originally Posted by reverborama
I've ridden every one of those locations on a motorcycle and, if you've never been there, I can't adequately describe how beautiful it is. But there are VERY few flat roads! So chapeau to you for making it up and down all those climbs! I better see a picture of your bike framed in a tunnel on Needles with Mt. Rushmore in the background! Last time I was there I asked one of the park rangers if there was a tour of the secret spy landing strip (from North By Northwest). There isn't.

But, yes, those buffalo guards really creep me out. They are so smooth, like trolley tracks, except there are a dozen of them right in a row. I can believe you cracked a rim on them. I've never had that bad a mechanical that far from home. I'm assuming your "loaner" is a spare rear wheel? What tires were you running? I'd really want 28's or 32's for those roads.

I hope you get the opportunity to ride Spearfish Canyon. I'd rate that as the most beautiful road I've ever been on anywhere.
I actually took some video riding through one of the tunnels (Iron Mtn??) where Mt Rushmore is in the background. Not much very flat around here but what a great ride. I took a side trip over to Deadwood. In Spearfish tonight-Devils Tower tomorrow.
Old 07-15-15, 05:54 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by Biker395

The pigtails were a blast....plus the engineer in us recognized their function, beauty etc.
Old 07-15-15, 05:58 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by Mobile 155
What kind of rim?
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Were you heavy loaded or is this a supported tour? That's a nasty sort of thing you cant ignore. Glad you found the loaner to get by on. Hope the rest of your tour is successful!

HED Ardennes so a lightweight wheel. The 32 spoke Mavic Open Pro with 32 spokes feels like an anchor but rock solid. No Complaints about getting a wheel.

Supported tour but very heavily loaded with my big butt!!!!!
Old 07-15-15, 07:35 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
HED Ardennes so a lightweight wheel. The 32 spoke Mavic Open Pro with 32 spokes feels like an anchor but rock solid. No Complaints about getting a wheel.

Supported tour but very heavily loaded with my big butt!!!!!
Glad you found a good wheel and back on the road. Layovers and breakages are frustrating.
Old 07-15-15, 07:37 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I have a personal friend who cracked a 48 spoke tandem rim while on a tour. He disassembled his front wheel so he could lace that rim onto his rear hub then bought a common front wheel so they could finish the trip.
Old 07-15-15, 08:19 PM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Riding Tour de Wyoming this week. On an impulse I shipped my spare bike, Trek 5900 to do the tour. I had not ridden it in 3-4 years. Incredibly nice route but lots of cattle guards that are designed for Bison so the bars are further apart than normal. Very rough crossing them. I was jolted so hard on one of them a lens on a tailight fell off.

I was hearing a faint sound at slow speeds that reminded me of a cracked rim. Checked it at the end of the ride and sure enough it was cracked petty good just below a drive side spoke on the rear wheel. There weren't any repair options today so nursed it for today's 60 miler, including a climb up to Mt Rushmore. I'm convinced the cattle guards caused it.

I picked up a loaner in Rapid City so I'm good for the rest of the tour. But I probably added a lot of wheel weight!!

Great route so far. Custer State Park, Wind Cave, Needles Highway and Mt Rushmore. Gotta love seeing the USA by bike and camping! Enjoyed some good beers and wine as well.

Yep. Spoke tear-out while riding in another state. Got lucky, found an lbs which had a wheel and some time to swap out the cassette for me. Lost one day though.
Old 07-16-15, 04:30 PM
Old School

Bikes: Trek 5500 OCLV, Trek Fuel EX 9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
On a cross country tour in 1990 a pedal bearing disintgrated (cheap quill pedals) in Wyoming. One of the other guys had a tube of grease so I packed it with grease for two days until we got to Rock Springs, where there was a bike shop and they sold me some pedals off of a floor display bike.
Somewhere in Missouri my bottom bracket started clunking, it was a cartridge type and it got worn down. I had a stubby screwdriver and I borrowed a hammer from the motel we stayed at and I got it apart and wrapped it with teflon tape and hammered it back together. It worked!

On a 9 day tour around Oregon with my ex-wife I broke a drive side spoke miles from anything. Having broken spokes and wheels for years I had extra spokes with me, and a cassette-******* to remove the 7 speed screw-on cog. My wife was slightly annoyed by the delay.
Same trip, we went through some gravel and both double flatted. 4 flats at once! Again, she said something like "How long is this going to take?"
With your kind of luck, I wouldn't bother buying any lottery tickets!