Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Handlebar suggestions. Looking for something upright

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-15, 10:11 AM
Mr_Pacman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last year I bought a brand new Globe Roll 7 bike brand new from the LBS. As you can see from the picture, it has high rise handlebars that curve around so you are sitting upright.

The bike shop must have thought the handlebars were not ideal, as they swapped them out on every Roll 7 in the shop to a shorter, straight, no rise handlebar. I was fine with it as that was a handlebar style I was used to.

However, I've had a few lower back surgeries and I find the current handlebars cause me to lean forward too much. I would like to try and find a set of similar handlebars to the ones the bike should have come with.

The LBS no longer has the older handlebars. We looked through the Specialized/ Globe catalog and can't seem to find the "Globe Porteur" style handlebars to purchase.

I've found a few styles from Velo Orange that would work, but, unfortunately, they only come in silver and not black.

Before I order a set from Velo Orange, does anyone have any suggestions on a black, porteur style handlebar that has some rise to it?

Thanks for any help and/or suggestions.
James

Attached Images
Old 12-08-15, 10:14 AM
GerryinHouston

Bikes: Novarra Randonee 2016, Trek Verve 2 2015

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
A quick look at Amazon "mid-rise handlebars":

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ise+handlebars
Old 12-08-15, 10:26 AM
ph0rk

Bikes: A hauler, a commuter, and a steamroller.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Looks like those bars are still below the seat. Perhaps some sort of rise is what you need, either via stem, steer tube riser, or high-rise bars.
Old 12-08-15, 05:55 PM
Cross Creek

Bikes: 2013 Rivendell Sam, 1996 Bianchi Milano, 1994 Trek 820

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Velo Orange is starting to get some styles in black this year... I'm still trying to get my head around the idea that a bike shop would change out handlebars from what the factory provided at their own expense. More likely Globe delivered them that way. You may find more relief with a different stem length/angle/height than a handlebar change. Also a different saddle or saddle position. Unfortunately, trial and error is best and also expensive.
Old 12-08-15, 08:01 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
'Below the seat' the Issue? Add a 'Stem Raiser' then Lengthen all the cables to reach the New Height.

Its a stepped steel tube with a Quill wedge in the Bottom , then You Put the existing stem in the top.

OR you start your way down the path of A threaded to threadless adapter , then put a Threadless stem on the top of that ..

SOMA/ Merry Sales has a Tall one ... need black? Get it powder coated or painted, if Its Not sold like that.

Google gives all sort s of pictures Of "Globe Porteur" style handlebars a Porteur bike is made to carry a Bunch of heavy stuff in a Big front rack

In France It was Bundles of Newspapers to the street News agents in Kiosks .. so the handle bar would be behind the load carried.

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-08-15 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-08-15, 08:58 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3143 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 1,031 Posts
The style of handlebar you're looking for is called "North Road." Google that, or plug it into Amazon search, and you'll get a abundant options, mostly silver, at affordable pricepoints.

It's a sad state of affairs when a bike shop can't figure out how to ID and source one of the most familiar handlebar types in the world.
Old 12-08-15, 10:32 PM
ganchan

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
The style of handlebar you're looking for is called "North Road." Google that, or plug it into Amazon search, and you'll get a abundant options, mostly silver, at affordable pricepoints.

It's a sad state of affairs when a bike shop can't figure out how to ID and source one of the most familiar handlebar types in the world.
Here's a North Road style handlebar (Wald 8095) that I used to replace the straight bar on my hybrid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Jamis Wald 3.jpg (107.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg
Jamis Wald 2.jpg (107.2 KB, 36 views)
Old 12-08-15, 10:44 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Nitto 'Albatross' as Riv Bike calls them is a fancier version of the same type (I used to use their Chrome Moly ones)..

If that is what you are looking for , Im not going to project that Maybe You want 'Apehangers' shoulder high
Old 12-08-15, 11:32 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Not exactly porteur style but FSA Metropolis handlebars have a little rise. A highrise stem might do the job also.
Old 12-14-15, 10:29 AM
Mr_Pacman

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions and replies. I ordered a set of "North Road" style handlebars from Amazon.ca. They arrived and are very close to what I was looking for. They don't curve around as much as the ones in the picture, but they are close. $30 shipped to me and I installed them on the weekend. I just need to get the brake levers and twist grip shifter back on and I think it will make a big difference in my seating position.

The next thing I might do is put on a quill stem extender to get the handlebars a little higher than they are now.

James