Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What do you really pay for?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-25-16, 10:49 AM
jorglueke

Bikes: 2006 Trek Pilot 1.2, 1972 Schwinn SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Obviously there's an initial cost to get a bike that works and will not break down quickly. For the sake of argument lets say that this is represented in 2016 by the entry level Trek/Specialized Road bikes at $1000. You're paying for the frame/fork, and the wheels, and somewhat the other components though those can be swapped and upgraded. So when you move from $1000 to $2000 to $4000 what are you paying for really? Is it all weight, mostly weight? Durability, style, performance? I'm curious because I feel like the vast majority of bikers don't need any of that and yet sales must be fairly robust.
Old 09-25-16, 10:58 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Buy what works for you and don't worry about what others buy.
Old 09-25-16, 11:22 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,378 Times in 2,730 Posts
Yep, some folks can/will have a nicer bike than you. Don't worry about it. Enjoy what you have.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 09-25-16, 11:24 AM
jorglueke

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not worried about it, I want to understand what criteria people use when they buy higher end bikes since I could be missing something. Are there considerations above and beyond weight? If you haven't bought a nicer bike don't clutter this thread with pointless advice.
Likes For jorglueke:
Old 09-25-16, 11:28 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by jorglueke
I'm not worried about it, I want to understand what criteria people use when they buy higher end bikes since I could be missing something. Are there considerations above and beyond weight? If you haven't bought a nicer bike don't clutter this thread with pointless advice.
Old 09-25-16, 11:29 AM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
1. Going from big box up to a bike shop entry level bike gets you improved performance and durability, and even safety, in every area, and is the biggest jump you can make.

2. Going from entry level up to mid level gets you moderately better functioning components (smoother wheel bearings, better shifting and braking, better saddles and higher quality seat posts, bars, forks, frames), and weight reduction.

2. Going from mid to upper is mostly weight, with only Marginal performance gains, and likely comes with a DECREASE in durability. (Light, cheap, strong...pick two...)

In my own case, I upgraded from a $200 Walmart bike to an $800 steel road bike. Every part is better in every way, and even though it is heavy for a road bike (23lbs), it has given me everything I need to be at a similar level with the fastest riders in my bike club, even on the climbs, even though some of them have 14lb carbon sram red or dura ace level bikes.

The fastest climber in our club rides a 25 yr old Aluminum touring bike with a rack attached...I'm sure it weighs in similar to mine.
Likes For 12strings:
Old 09-25-16, 11:31 AM
adamhenry
MUP World Champ

Bikes: '19 Trance 3, '17 Defy Adv 2, DK Legend, Electra Verse 21D

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
I bought my Giant Defy Advanced 2 due to lower weight, smoother drivetrain(105), and hydraulic disc brakes.
Old 09-25-16, 11:35 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 133 Posts
So when you move from $1000 to $2000 to $4000 what are you paying for really? Is it all weight, mostly weight? Durability, style, performance? I'm curious because I feel like the vast majority of bikers don't need any of that and yet sales must be fairly robust.
Need has little to do with it, and want has almost everything to do with it.

In my case, I don't "need" the largest engine I could get in my F-150, I don't "need" a pool in my back yard, and I don't "need" a CF bike, but I wanted all of them.

OP, for instance, how big is your TV, and do you really "need" one that big?
Old 09-25-16, 11:37 AM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I will add, the as you got up in price, the intangible called "ride quality" is what alot of people talk about, and can't be dismissed easily.

For example, the Aluminum Cannondale Synapse bikes, from both personal experience and pro reviews, are uninspiring, nothing special....but both pro reviews and several of my friends rave about the ride quality of their Carbon fiber Synapse bikes. The lowest level carbon synapse is about $2000, and a version with better grade carbon starts around $4K. I haven't ridden one of those, but some might ride it, notice a difference in either comfort, or in liveliness, that they like enough to pay extra for.
Old 09-25-16, 11:38 AM
jorglueke

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wileyrat
In my case, I don't "need" the largest engine I could get in my F-150, I don't "need" a pool in my back yard, and I don't "need" a CF bike, but I wanted all of them.
Ok why did you want a more expensive bike? What were the factors?
Old 09-25-16, 11:39 AM
jorglueke

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 12strings
I will add, the as you got up in price, the intangible called "ride quality" is what alot of people talk about, and can't be dismissed easily.

For example, the Aluminum Cannondale Synapse bikes, from both personal experience and pro reviews, are uninspiring, nothing special....but both pro reviews and several of my friends rave about the ride quality of their Carbon fiber Synapse bikes. The lowest level carbon synapse is about $2000, and a version with better grade carbon starts around $4K. I haven't ridden one of those, but some might ride it, notice a difference in either comfort, or in liveliness, that they like enough to pay extra for.
Yeah I wonder about that too, but it's kind of hard to figure out until after you spend the money right? I don't think a test drive will reveal a massive difference...or would it?
Old 09-25-16, 11:43 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

If you haven't bought a nicer bike don't clutter this thread with pointless advice.
All of my bikes are nicer. If you heed the advice it will not be pointless.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 09-25-16, 11:51 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 133 Posts
Ok why did you want a more expensive bike? What were the factors?
In most cases a nicer ride, nicer groupsets, lighter and more durable wheels.

It's like the difference between a base model car, and a high end model. The base model will get you around just fine, but the high end will do it nicer with better performance and comfort.

The bottom line is I wanted it and I could afford it, but I've been riding LBS bikes for almost 45 yrs, and I knew what I looking for.

Last edited by Wileyrat; 09-25-16 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-25-16, 11:58 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
The OP has a good point. Once you have gotten up to a bike that cost $1000, any more money than that buys mainly glitz and a name.

It is pretty much like the person that is in a room and told every time the bell rings walk half way to the wall. The first few times (or dollars) gets you something, but the point of good progress becomes less and less. BTW in case you didnt know the person will never reach the wall.

Last edited by rydabent; 09-26-16 at 06:00 AM.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 09-25-16, 12:09 PM
adamhenry
MUP World Champ

Bikes: '19 Trance 3, '17 Defy Adv 2, DK Legend, Electra Verse 21D

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
The OP has a good point. Once you have gotten up to a bike that cost $1000, any more money than that buy mainly glitz and a name.

It is pretty much like the person that is in a room and told every time the bell rings walk half way to the wall. The first few times (or dollars) gets you something, but the point of good progress becomes less and less. BTW in case you didnt know the person will never reach the wall.
Nonsense! I could have a bought a cheaper bike with cheaper components and lower quality ride with the same name and same paint. You can't tell the difference from across the parking lot.
Old 09-25-16, 12:10 PM
Jeannean

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV, Cervelo P3, Diamondback MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When looking at bikes, I set my budget at around $1000. Went to a couple of LBS's and test road some in that price range. Nothing grabbed me, so just for the fun of it, I asked to ride a $2200 CF bike. It was a night and day difference to me. It was so much smoother riding. I ended up getting a CF bike with an Ultegra groupset and have been very happy with it and ride a lot now. I don't think that would have been the case if I had bought a bike that was in my original budget (however, I was able to stay close to that budget by buying a lightly used bike).

Last edited by Jeannean; 09-25-16 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-25-16, 12:15 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Looks.

In my case my case I built from the frame up and got all the stuff I wanted: dynamo lights, nicer IGH, custom paint, Brooks saddle, hand built wheels....

You can pay more for all sorts of features: nicer components, nicer frame, looks, features.

I have ridden cheaper bikes and they don't ride as nicely as mine does. Or look as nice!

It is up to you if that stuff is important.
Likes For jade408:
Old 09-25-16, 12:17 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
All of my bikes are nicer. If you heed the advice it will not be pointless.
I have to side with the OP here. It is "pointless" when you post a legitimate topic, looking for intelligent responses, only to get BS rhetoric from those that border sarcasm and thinking they're giving divine advice.
Likes For one4smoke:
Old 09-25-16, 12:33 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

I don't see this as a "legitimate" topic. When these threads are posted, it seems to invariably be a situation where the OP feels insecure about his bike and is trying to drum up support for the notion that any bike nicer is a poor choice. Look at the original post. Some arbitrary limit of $1000 is thrown out, curiously corresponding to close to the cost of OP's bike if new. He clearly states he doesn't believe the majority of cyclists need a nicer bike. Why post? Most of us understand diminishing returns and we understand nicer is nicer. No cyclist I know would diss someone's bike because it was inexpensive. Ride what you can afford and let others do the same.
Old 09-25-16, 01:01 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
No cyclist I know would diss someone's bike because it was inexpensive. Ride what you can afford want to and let others do the same.
"Can afford" might have zip to do with it. That assumption, that a guy's bike reflects his financial resources, may be part of the impetus of this kind of topic.
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 09-25-16, 01:05 PM
birru

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 2007 Pinarello Galileo 105, 2014 Raleigh Cadent 2, 2017 Jamis Renegade Expert

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Different companies are going to choose different compromises to make to hit their market segments. And different riders are going to prioritize certain factors more than others. Certainly weight factors into a lot of the upgrades, as well as things like ride quality, braking, and drivetrain performance. But here's what I've generally noticed in the road bike segment:
  • Cheaper bikes usually have heavier aluminum or "no name" chromoly steel frames
  • More expensive bikes will have lighter aluminum, steel, or carbon fiber frames
  • The more expensive frames tend to offer a balance of stiffness for performance and compliance for comfort in key areas
  • Often aluminum or steel forks on cheper bikes; carbon forks up the line
  • Cheaper bikes often have off-group cranksets, usually entry level FSA
  • Brakes are usually basic Tektro calipers or rebranded FSA instead of nicer groupset brakes
  • Hydraulic disc brakes are usually a premium component
  • Cheaper bikes have basic, heavier wheelsets with cheap OEM 30tpi tires

It seems like one can get a lot of bike for around $1000, but there are still meaningful upgrades from there to the $2500-$3000. And if you want an electronic groupset, expect to pay even more. I've never experienced electronic shifting, but it sure seems like a nice luxury. You can keep spending more and continue to experience performance refinements and weight savings, and I can't tell you where to draw the line. But I think most riders can be perfectly content riding an "entry level" $1000-$1500 bike.
Old 09-25-16, 01:15 PM
jimb100

Bikes: Motobecane Le Champion, Trek Madone 5.2

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Why do people need to respond to these kinds of threads with a snarky put down? I think its a legitimate question for a lot of people.

I have an aluminum Motobecane Le Champion, with Ultegra gear set, brakes, shifters, Kinesis carbon fork and Shimano wheels with Michelen Pro 4 tires. I also have a Trek Madone 5.2, completely stock with Ultegra, Bontrager wheels, Gatorskins.

The two bikes shift the same, as would be expected. They brake the same. Seats, bars feel the same. Cornering feels the same.

The Trek accelerates faster, likely due to the lower weight. It climbs easier, again, likely due to the weight. The Trek does seem to damp some vibrations better.

If I were racing, I wouldn't have a choice. I'd need the Madone to be competitive against people of my same skill and fitness level.

For recreational riding, there's not enough difference to justify the additional costs based on performance.

So, as a strictly recreational rider, why do I have the Madone? Because I like it.
Old 09-25-16, 01:49 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You get "something" with every upgrade whether it's lighter, more durable, easier to use etc. Whether it's worth it to you is a personal choice. We'd all be driving Corollas and telling time with Timex watches without personal choice.
Old 09-25-16, 01:51 PM
Amigo_Frio

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you're not a racer, chances are you're paying far too much for prestige!
Likes For Amigo_Frio:
Old 09-25-16, 02:05 PM
italktocats

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
people dont need a car either, but they sure love it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.