Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Hand Built Wheel Advice For Avid Commuter Please.

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Hand Built Wheel Advice For Avid Commuter Please.

Old 10-20-16, 01:43 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Spokes take the weight in tension, not compression.
Try to pull a spoke to the inside of a wheel. It can't be done without breaking the wheel (been there, done that).
You can push a spoke out through a wheel though (been there, done that).

the spoke heads float. Take your wheel apart and look...
Old 10-20-16, 01:46 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Note Jobst Brandt famously argued the counterintuitive position that bicycle wheels actually STAND on their lower spokes, don't hang from their upper spokes. I didn't follow his argument, something to do with things being different than you'd think with spoke tension being all the way around.

But it would be interesting to somehow visualize floating spoke heads to settle the question empirically.
It's a matter of perspective. The hub gets loaded by the rider and moves down toward the ground. The reaction force from the ground comes up into the rim from the tire. The spokes between those points have the most tension relieved, just because their ends have gotten closer together. They don't actually go into compression, but their tension drops quite a lot. The rest of the spokes react pretty evenly to distribute the tension load lost from the lower spokes. Check out some figures from this Google image search.
https://www.google.com/search?q=bicy...element+stress

(Careful reading these things, a lot of them are done by students or amateurs and so they are not that carefully checked. One of them I just looked at, for example, showed strain in "N/mm^2" which is the same as what anyone else would call MPa, but in a nearby table they give the same value with units of N which is obviously a typo. It also contains howlers like,
It is assumed that a force of 150 pounds is applied to the pedals which represents a light weight rider fully out of the saddle standing on the pedal, or a heavier rider (such as the author) still seated in the saddle but mashing very hard.
Some of them with poorly chosen inputs do wind up showing spokes in compression. Beware!)
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 10-20-16 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-01-16, 08:46 PM
Buster77

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update: I purchased some Bon Jon Pass 35c tires and had them installed tubeless to replace my Clement X'Plor MSO Tubeless 36c. The difference is remarkable. The new tires are much lighter and have a smooth thread unlike the knobby Clements. Going up hills is dramatically easier and the ride is much smoother. I don't know to what degree of the easier climbing is due to the smooth thread or the lighter weight of the tire? This makes me now want to really think about replacing the rims and hubs and get an overall lighter wheel set. I'm thinking of Shimano Ultegra or XT hubs but others suggest to invest in higher end hubs that will last much longer. I welcome hub suggestions. Im happy to pay for longevity but only f I have to.
Old 11-03-16, 01:50 PM
ratell

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Contact Sugar Wheel Works. https://sugarwheelworks.com/
They are the ultimate wheel geeks and will help you figure out exactly what you want...
Old 11-03-16, 02:50 PM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Buster77
Update: I purchased some Bon Jon Pass 35c tires and had them installed tubeless to replace my Clement X'Plor MSO Tubeless 36c. The difference is remarkable. The new tires are much lighter and have a smooth thread unlike the knobby Clements. Going up hills is dramatically easier and the ride is much smoother. I don't know to what degree of the easier climbing is due to the smooth thread or the lighter weight of the tire? This makes me now want to really think about replacing the rims and hubs and get an overall lighter wheel set. I'm thinking of Shimano Ultegra or XT hubs but others suggest to invest in higher end hubs that will last much longer. I welcome hub suggestions. Im happy to pay for longevity but only f I have to.
Good to hear of the improvements!

I think that the "upgrade your wheels" mantra should really be "upgrade your tires". Stock wheels for bikes around >$800 are pretty decent any more, but even expensive bikes are still sold with heavy, stiff, low TPI tires. An upgrade to light, flexible, high TPI tires can make a huge improvement.

Regarding hubs: Many newer hubs use cartridge bearings, while Shimano still uses loose bearings (aka "cup and cone").

Cup and cone hubs can be rebuilt cheaply (new BBs and grease) and easily (cone wrenches, and usually a common hex key to remove the freehub body). But, when the bearing races on the hub body wear out, the hub is done.

Conversely, cartridge bearings cost a bit more and require a bearing press to seat properly. But, the hub body is separate from the bearing and isn't damaged when the bearing wears out. So, the hub could last forever. Most cartridge-bearing hubs use industry-standard bearings that are widely available.

So, I recommend doing some more research on loose ball vs cartridge bearings before deciding upon Shimano.

Also, the newer XT hubs (M780/T780 and up) have a different design (for oversized axles) that requires an uncommon 14 mm hex wrench to remove the freehub. The shop I work at didn't even have one, I ended up finding a 14 mm external socket at a local small engine shop.
I'm not sure which other new Shimano hubs use this design.

I'm happy with my loose-ball T780 hub (once I replaced the jammed freehub, parts cost covered by the seller).

I'm also happy with my cartridge-bearing Velo Orange Gran Cru touring hub. That one needs zero tools to dissassemble.
And my old Phil Wood FSA freewheel hubs spin for days with four new $5 (each) cartridge bearings.
Old 11-03-16, 05:38 PM
stdlrf11
Living the Dream

Bikes: 2015 AWOL Frameset with custom drivetrain, 20?? Windsor Tourist, 2010 Specialized Secteur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a pair of wheels handbuilt for my AWOL. Hope hubs and Velocity Aileron rims. I love them. They are tough, light and spin smooth, even after all they've been through. I've got a little under 10k miles on them, and they feel good as new.

I'm sure I would have been just as happy with a factory built set, if I could have found ones meeting my specs. I would have saved a lot of money too.
Old 11-03-16, 06:18 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
Hang on. I've read that the only spokes whose tension is different from the rest are the bottom spokes. So the top and sides are all the same, and the bottom spokes loosen up as you roll.

Unless you race track, you're not going to feel the difference between stiff wheels and flexible wheels. It's just not a criterion to use in your searches.

@Buster77, I looked up your bike, and I love it. I doubt you can improve your bike with new wheels unless you spent over $1,000. They would have to be very light for you to feel a difference. Really, the only thing you can feel with wheels is the weight. And once you have light wheels, you may have to run lighter and narrower tires, which may be unpleasant or may not be. Yours is a wide-tire road bike, and you're going against the intended purpose. That's fine if you want to, but is that what you want? I'm actually envious of that bike. I think it's brilliant just the way it is.

If you want to spend money on an upgrade, look at tires. You're more likely to feel the difference, the cost will be lower, and you can swap your original tires on if you prefer them.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-03-16, 07:12 PM
Buster77

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re:

Hi, Thanks for taking the time to read my post and reply to it. I already did just upgrade to nicer tires - Compass Bon Jon Pass 35c. Difference is remarkable. I have a new handbuilt wheel set on order: American Classic 101 rims threaded to XT Hubs. Maybe I will see a difference maybe I wont but I will find out soon.
Old 11-04-16, 09:05 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
A good matchup is an ultegra hub laced to H+ Son rims. Personally, if my hub is spinning really well, I'd rather just get new rims/spokes and keep the current hub in service. You can save a lot of money that way, and the rims are where all of the rotational mass lay.
Me, I would stay away from CK hubs anyhow. They are pricey, and I believe difficult to service and require some proprietary tools that are not cheap. If I were going boutique hubs, I would go for White Industries. But I don't have 350-400 to spend on new hubs.
Old 11-04-16, 09:30 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
Those rims are rated at 381 grams so they are probably lighter than the rims you have. You might feel the difference. Hand built wheels probably last longer, but they don't ride better.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-05-16, 01:05 PM
Buster77

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re:

The problem I have with the current CDX4 rims is that they do not allow for the most reliable tubeless installation. I have had air leakage problems from the start and have had 2 bike shops try to fix the problem for me. The last one is also the best regarded hand-built wheel maker in my city and the problem continues. I thought of keeping my existing hubs but they only provide for 24 spokes and a higher-end rim set will have at least 28. The rims Ive ordered to go along with the new XT subset will take 32 spokes. With my new tires I am very happy with the feel of the ride. So even if the new American Classic 101 rims on XT hubs provide no improvement in ride quality the more reliable tubeless installation will be well worth it.
Old 11-05-16, 01:12 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I recently made the foray into road cycling from mountain biking. I'm an amateur who loves biking and bikes. I spent much time researching what bike to buy. 90% of my cycling is around my city in the Pacific Northwest but there are a few occasions when I am on gravel, dirt paths or abandoned railway trestles. I don’t care about speed - what I care about is enjoying long pleasurable and comfortable rides.

The bike I purchased and that I am enjoying tweaking and setting up still is a 2017 Kona Rove ST. The Rove ST has an Alex Rims CDX4 wheel set. Im running tubeless Clement X'Plor MSO Tubeless 700x36c tires - 40 psi in the front and around 45-50 psi in the rear.

I have the upgrade bug and everyone suggests that if I want spend $$ on upgrades that I should consider hand built wheels.

Here is my question: How much will I have to spend on hand built wheels to see a noticeable increase in ride quality and efficiency, keeping in mind that my riding for now is just fun/commuting...cycling around 100 miles a week? This will increase when the rains go away.

Local bike stores have suggested CK hubs with Velocity Aleron Rims and I keep my existing tires. Im thinking of going to a slightly narrower tire that is less knobby. Others have advised not to go with CK but to go with WI or DT Swiss Hubs. I hear the CK hubs are loud and I would not like that. I appreciate feedback and advice on my considerations for a wheel upgrade. Other have said my wheels are great and going to a hand built set wont make much a noticeable difference .

Thanks for your advice!
I'm with the Latter group Most of the feel will be the tire selection..

Mid Price Shimano Hubs will be fine, Want a silent freewheel ? there are Those, Made for the Police Bikes ..

Old 11-10-16, 01:32 PM
chas58

Originally Posted by noglider
Hang on. I've read that the only spokes whose tension is different from the rest are the bottom spokes. So the top and sides are all the same, and the bottom spokes loosen up as you roll.
Yep, zero tension on the bottom spokes. They actually float in the wheel, and will poke through your inner tube if you don't have rim tape.

Heck no matter how fast you ride, the spoke at the very bottom of the wheel has no weight on it, and isn't moving at all!

(at least for an instant, assuming of course your tire is not sliding)
Old 11-10-16, 01:38 PM
chas58

You went from some very nice Clements tires to some of the best high volume tires made (compass). Those compass tires are going to be hard to beat. Glad it is working for ya!

Yep, weight, and tread will both make a difference when climbing or accelerating. Good choice!
Old 11-10-16, 04:39 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Yep, zero tension on the bottom spokes. They actually float in the wheel, and will poke through your inner tube if you don't have rim tape.

If the tension in your bottom spokes goes to zero, your wheels aren't tensioned adequately.