Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Budget Bag for Porteur Rack?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-17, 09:26 AM
stdlrf11
Living the Dream

Bikes: 2015 AWOL Frameset with custom drivetrain, 20?? Windsor Tourist, 2010 Specialized Secteur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey folks,

Long story short, I'm recovering from shoulder surgery and I find it uncomfortable to wear my beloved Timbuk2 backpack.

I installed a pizza rack on my AWOL, and I'm looking for an inexpensive bag to strap to the top. I'll be taking it off add carrying it into work. I want something decently water resistant.

I'll only be carrying some clothes, food, and the occasional toiletry item. All bike repair stuff is in a small frame bag.

I figure that in a few months, I'll either switch back to my backpack, or buy a better rack bag.

I have no interest in panniers. One bag on top is enough.

The backpack is way too big to fit the rack.

I've found a few bags on Amazon, but I thought I'd ask the experts first.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-11-17, 09:49 AM
john_mct

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cheap roll top dry bag (8-10 liter) and one or two straps should do the trick for under 20 bucks (probably less if you really look). Put stuff you want to access in last so you can just unroll it and grab stuff without actually undoing the straps that hold it down. Other options which could be found at second hand shop: Soft sided childrens' lunchbox (preferably with superheros on it), camera bag, childrens' backpack with straps cut off, soft sided camping cooler of some sort...
Old 04-11-17, 10:13 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
You can zip-tie a basket on the rack and use whatever bag you like.

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cy...rando-bag.html

It doesn't rain here, but I keep a plastic trash bag for a rain cover in the messenger bag just in case.
Old 04-11-17, 04:21 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I bought a Swift Industries Porteur Bag and it was just too large for everyday stuff so I sold it. I then purchased a Wald basket and zip tied it to my porteur rack and put on a bungee net and now can use any bag I want.
Old 04-13-17, 11:42 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
AGU bags, made in the Netherlands, are weatherproof and very good values in the US right now due to the exchange rate. I bought an AGU Qyoto handlebar bag from Nashbar last fall for only $20.

Very good overall, except for the zippered side pockets (the zippers work pretty much like ziplock slider baggies, fussy and don't always secure properly), which weren't a priority for me -- I was mainly interested in the main compartment, which matches a favorite camera bag and even accepts the same padded inserts. Outstanding value since the KlickFix adapter alone (included with my bag) sells for $20.

But with the KlickFix mount you don't really need the porteur rack, although I see no reason why you couldn't just use a cargo net to secure the bag to the rack.

Nashbar doesn't currently stock AGU bags, but I see a few European retailers making it as easy as possible to sell to US customers, offering readily accessible dollar figures, free or discounted shipping, etc.

Other than that, I'd look for any weatherproof rolltop bag. It's a traditional design used by some custom leather and waterproofed canvas bag makers as well for travelers who like the design and look. Nashbar's own brand looks like a good value.

Main reason I preferred the AGU handlebar bag was for the easy access. It's secure too. The canteen shaped bag lid folds away from the cyclist while still on the bike and needs only two bungee cord type elastic closures over rigid pegs. Quick and easy. There's also an inner ditty bag incorporated with gathered top secured with a drawstring for added security. I've ridden some rough roads, washboard gravel and even fallen once and nothing has popped out of the bag when the lid is properly closed.

It's a plasticky feeling bag, with a weatherproofed ballistic nylon outer shell over a rigid plastic enclosure -- not sure whether all AGU bags follow this design and build. But I expected it to feel plasticky since it's intended to be weatherproof. The gray main material is offset with tan leather or leatherette hinge and tabs.
Old 04-14-17, 07:23 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I often use a cheap drawstring bag similar to this https://www.amazon.com/DALIX-Sock-Pa.../dp/B008Q39YKU ($5.69). If I want waterproof I use freezer bags inside.
Old 04-14-17, 04:31 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Also, there are waterproof dry bags for camping and boating -- just sacks, basically -- in sizes to accommodate any bag you may already have. So if a gallon ziplock is too small and a trash bag too large, those camping dry bags are good for in between sizes. Roll one up and attach it to your rack so it's always there.

I was about to buy a couple of those for my existing camera bags when the AGU Qyoto I mentioned came up cheap on Nashbar, so I bought it instead. But I could still use a larger dry bag for my full size camera bag.
Old 04-14-17, 04:42 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Get a shopping tote from Trader Joe's, they seem pretty tough. Colorful too. Not actually kidding. Just make sure the top is rolled over and the handles aren't flailing.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 04-15-17, 09:27 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by stdlrf11
Hey folks,

Long story short, I'm recovering from shoulder surgery and I find it uncomfortable to wear my beloved Timbuk2 backpack.

I installed a pizza rack on my AWOL, and I'm looking for an inexpensive bag to strap to the top. I'll be taking it off add carrying it into work. I want something decently water resistant.

I'll only be carrying some clothes, food, and the occasional toiletry item. All bike repair stuff is in a small frame bag.

I figure that in a few months, I'll either switch back to my backpack, or buy a better rack bag.

I have no interest in panniers. One bag on top is enough.

The backpack is way too big to fit the rack.

I've found a few bags on Amazon, but I thought I'd ask the experts first.

Thanks in advance!
I have a porteur rack on one of my bikes. I have not sprung for a real porteur bag yet. Any trunk bag will work oriented like it would be on rear rack. I often orient a large trunk bag cross-wise though, and just bungy it in place. It works just fine that way, and leaves plenty of room to strap down additional bags/small items. Velo-orange has a reasonably priced roll top porteur bag at $99, but it is quite large, and possibly overkill for your needs, probably will haul as much or more than a typical backpack though.
Old 04-16-17, 08:58 PM
stdlrf11
Living the Dream

Bikes: 2015 AWOL Frameset with custom drivetrain, 20?? Windsor Tourist, 2010 Specialized Secteur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies!

I'm still looking. I'm leaning towards a regular trunk bag. I've found a few on Amazon, with good reviews, for under $20.