Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Century on a Hybrid

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Century on a Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-09, 08:42 AM
cc_rider
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Century on a Hybrid

Yes we can!

I was in New York this past weekend for the NY Century ride. Had done 40, 84 and 80 miles on my previous years on this ride.
Had not planned to do the full century. Wanted to ride 2/3 of the 75 mile route, then take a detour to do some site seeing and take pictures. But the 75 was actually 86 miles this year and I had a riding buddy to keep me honest. Did the full 75/86 route. When I reached the finish and had rested a bit, I saw I had 88 miles on the computer and was going to end with 90 anyway. My legs still felt good, so I decided to go for it. Did two laps of Central Park to end with just over 100 miles.

"Conventional wisdom" would say I couldn't have done it. I hadn't been training on long rides (had only done a few rides over a half century this season), I was on a 20 year old heavy hybrid, with a gel-pad seat, flat bars, a stretched chain, worn cassette, and I was getting over a leg injury from a fall on the previous week's ride. But everything came together. The injury affected the muscles for squatting and going up stairs and not my cycling (actually felt better when I was cycling). I was on the bike I was used to, on the set up I'm used to. The ride was relatively flat. The standard route was longer than anticipated. I took lots of breaks and stretched while riding. The rest stops were well stocked. Most important was having a ride partner to push me.

Drank two 2.2 liter camelbacks of water, 28 oz of Powerade, and ate lots of food. After the ride I even went out to a Chinese food buffet, then slept real well that night. I was a little stiff the next morning (and stiff after the 260 mile drive home), but I feel good.

Now that I've done my first century, I don't feel any pressure to do another one. I'll do one again if I feel like it, and won't if I don't. There's a club century this upcoming weekend but I'm not sure I'll try that one (several 1000 feet of climbing in the Shennendoah Mountains). I might be up for the 75 miler.

I'm curious, who else had done a century on a hybrid.

added - I was on the bike for about 8:40 minutes with an average speed of 11.7 mph.
(forgot to turn off the computer during the walk across the Tri-boro bridge )

Last edited by cc_rider; 09-16-09 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-15-09, 09:11 AM
Tome

Bikes: A Jamis Coda Comp hybrid, a Breeze Twiste mountain bike and a Greenspeed recumbent.r

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Century

I've never done it but I'll bet you there are people on this website who'd say it can't be done!
Congratulations.
Old 09-15-09, 09:14 AM
Steve in MA

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Roubaix comp (SRAM Rival), 2009 Trek 7.3FX, Early 80's steel frame Suteki road bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cc_rider
I'm curious, who else had done a century on a hybrid.

Rode a century (my first) on my Trek 7.3FX just this past sunday. I have Ergon GR-2 grips on it, so I was able to vary my hand position, and I use Speedplay Light Action pedals; but other than those two modifications, it's a stock 7.3. I regularly use the bike for 50-ish mile rides, and did a metric century with it a few weeks ago.

No reason a hybrid can't be used for these distances. In my case, I partly wanted to see if I even enjoy riding long distances enough to merit spending $$$ on a bike that's intended more for that use. I'll likely get a second bike for distance rides over the next couple of years (and add a rack to the 7.3 to use it as more of a commuting/running errands bike), but until then I'll keep using my 7.3.
Old 09-15-09, 09:51 AM
nymtber

Bikes: See Signature...

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would rather do a centry on my hybrid (Specialized Sirrus) than on the road bike I sold last year (Specialized Allez). The road bike was far too bent over for me. I am much more comfortable on my Sirrus, and I feel I could just keep pedaling Although, most times, I need to get home, cool off, shower, and get to work ahh the fun of working second shift.

I am going to try to talk my brother into doing a metric century next spring, either on a fireroad he had found in PA, or right here in NY on the erie canal trail. Probably doing that on my mountain bike though, Ill have to put flat bar and bar ends back on that.

I might look into Ergon grips for my Sirrus. The specialized that are on it feel awesome, but they slip since they are not locked on. Definitely want the ones with integrated bar ends. I also saw specialized lock on grips at the LBS, those are an option too.
Old 09-15-09, 10:34 AM
probe1957

Bikes: 2020 Scott Speedster 10 Disc

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
My 53 year old wife did 40 miles on her Trek 7100 this past weekend as well as the weekend before. I rode my Trek 520. Both of us just picked up cycling this spring after a 35 year hiatus. I know that's nowhere near a century but I was proud of her as she seldom rides.
Old 09-16-09, 10:06 AM
cc_rider
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tome
I've never done it but I'll bet you there are people on this website who'd say it can't be done!
You'd win that bet. Mention riding anything over 20 or 30 miles on a hybrid on some of the other forums and you get screamed at.

Originally Posted by Steve in MA
Rode a century (my first) on my Trek 7.3FX just this past sunday. ...... I regularly use the bike for 50-ish mile rides, and did a metric century with it a few weeks ago......
Congrats!
Once I started doing them regularly, the longer rides became easy. My typical preferred ride distance on is between 40 and 70 miles. Couple of years ago I did 12 metric or longer rides on my hybrid during the riding season, including on 5 consecutive weekends.
Old 09-16-09, 10:34 AM
mikeybikes

Bikes: Tons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the commuting forum, I read of a rider who did a century on his Specialized Sirrus.

I'll see if I can find the thread.

You can do a century on any bike. Some will be able to accomplish it faster, some will be quicker.

There is nothing though that says even a 16" wheel folding bicycle can't complete a century.
Old 09-16-09, 10:49 AM
old and new

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tome
Congratulations.
Hear, Hear ... lot o' chat about Hybrids here and throughout the forum.. More folks should read or better yet try what the OP has accomplshed.
Old 09-16-09, 05:42 PM
barturtle

Bikes: Jamis Coda

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This weekend I just did my very first century, The Old Kentucky Home Tour, on my hybrid. I only had maybe 6-7 rides over 50 miles all year (and no rides over 25 miles in any previous years dating back to getting my first car). Bike weighed in at 50 pounds as ridden, all gear in bags, bottles full. Full wieght with rider (in gear and helmet) was pushing 300 pounds.

You can for sure do a century on a hybrid.

Ride time was 8:12. average speed 12.8 max speed 37.8

Now I have at least 4 more centuries on my ride schedule between now and the end of October.
Old 09-17-09, 07:03 AM
Terrierman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode the 2007 Queen City Century (Springfield, MO) on my Coda Elite. When it comes to riding a century, it's less about the bike and more about the rider. Anyone in moderately good condition with the right mindset can do it, all it takes is not stopping until you have ridden the 100 miles. Better condition and a few longish rides first = less time in the saddle of that there is no doubt. But I stick with the statement that nearly anyone can do it, you don't need to have completed some specific training regimen first. And all it takes for the bike is one in reasonable mechanical condition, so it doesn't break down on you while you are doing the ride. Plenty of centuries have been done on mart bikes.
Old 09-18-09, 10:37 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
I met a fellow on my last century who told me he and a friend rode 1000 miles through the rockies on a 3 speed and a coaster bike and on some days covered over 100 miles.

I have ridden 85 miles on a Raleigh Sports... that wasn't at all unpleasant.
Old 09-19-09, 12:14 AM
javal

Bikes: Monark sportser 1970, Monark sportser 1970ish, Monark folder, Mustand 1985, Monark Tempo 1999, Monark 318 1975, Crescent 319 1979, Crescent 325 c:a 1965, Crescent Starren 2002 (hybrid/sport), Nordstjernan 1960`s cruiser.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I´ve done a 300 km race (double century?) in 12 hours on my alu Crescent. Why a problem? You can fit your riding position like on any other bike. Its all about the seat, tires and maintenance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PA250257.jpg (104.4 KB, 241 views)
Old 09-19-09, 02:52 AM
ddez

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mikeshoup
In the commuting forum, I read of a rider who did a century on his Specialized Sirrus.

I'll see if I can find the thread.

You can do a century on any bike. Some will be able to accomplish it faster, some will be quicker.

There is nothing though that says even a 16" wheel folding bicycle can't complete a century.
People tour with folders.A folder does anything full size does.
Old 09-19-09, 08:36 AM
Saddle Up
I Love My Dream

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Our little group did a 220km charity ride earlier this summer on fixed gear bikes, there was a couple of guys on BMX bikes, a guy on a SS Surly Pugsley.

Good going it's about the engine not the type of bike your on.
Old 09-19-09, 06:16 PM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cc_rider
You'd win that bet. Mention riding anything over 20 or 30 miles on a hybrid on some of the other forums and you get screamed at.
LOL You should try telling them you rode 20 or 30 miles or more on an old single speed Huffy "Beach Cruiser". (Not "IMPOSSIBLE!!!", and I've ridden mine that far and more many times.
Old 09-22-09, 03:10 PM
Piston Rick
trek 7.5fx rider

Bikes: 2009 Trek 7.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did 2 centuries and a metric on my 7.5 this year. I did the Montauk and the North Fork which are both very flat. Finished both in under eight hours total and about 7 in the saddle. The metric I finished with a 16.5 mph average speed. On each ride I passed a bunch of people on much fancier lighter bikes than mine. It never even crossed my mind that you couldn't do it and I plan on doing a lot more in the future even though I'm kinda old and out of shape.
Old 09-26-09, 10:40 AM
dohaco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did a Century on a Mongoose Crossway 'Comfort Fit Geometry' hybrid. When I told my LBS about my feat, the reaction was 'huh!' Then I explained that it took all day, sunup to sundown,10 1/2 hours, including about two hours total breaks. Then the reaction was 'oh, ok'.
The "Comfort Fit Geometry" is, in my estimation, real comfort. The frame's top tube and seatstays make a curved arch from head tube to the dropouts, and the bottom tube is curved similarly. Over 5600 miles on the bike, and just recently broke its first spoke, non driveside rear. Presently I'm riding it on dirt (two track) roads in local forests, after changing tires from 32mm to 40mm. This model was discontinued in 2005 (when I bought it for $150).
Old 09-30-09, 06:26 AM
njlonghorn

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
I'm doing a 3-day, 220-mile ride this weekend. The first day is 90 miles, and they have an optional 10-mile loop at the end to make it a century. Unless I feel too bad after 90 (longest I've ever ridden is 75), I plan to give a go at the extra 10. All on my hybrid (Cannondale Quick-5). I'll try to remember to report back.
Old 09-30-09, 07:04 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Our youngest boy did his first century on a Trek 7200FX when he was 14...and another the following day.
My wife did her first century on a Raleigh Route One.
I've done numerous centuries on mtbs, hybrids, cruisers, ss/fg etc.
It isn't about the bike.
Old 09-30-09, 10:48 AM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Impressive, Chip! I've never ridden that far. I rode almost that far a couple of times when I was young, on a "sport touring" model, sort of a hybrid between racing bike and touring bike.
Old 09-30-09, 11:08 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by qmsdc15
Impressive, Chip! I've never ridden that far. I rode almost that far a couple of times when I was young, on a "sport touring" model, sort of a hybrid between racing bike and touring bike.
I did my first at 13 years old myself...on one of them old single speed Schwinn cruisers with the tank for a top tube, coaster brake, balloon tires and the big spring loaded shock on the front...with the fenders & chain guard ripped off and the bars flipped and wrapped with electrical tape, of course.

I thought I was freakin Eddie Merckx on that bike...till the road turned upward
Old 10-01-09, 11:16 AM
speni

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I regularly do 50-75mile runs on my Giant Warp DS2 MTB!!

Tightened up the forks, road tyres & Ergon grips, & off I go.

I can't use road bikes because of a lower back problem, but do OK with the DS2. Not aerodynamically great, but can do a 50mile run at about 18mph.

I haven't tried a hybrid, do you think I could improve my times??
Old 04-16-19, 02:15 PM
chrisusmc81

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Comfort bike

I ride my Columbia Northway comfort bike every day to work (4 miles), and like it so much I signed up for a 60 mile metric bike race. Having had zero experience with races or long rides and being a moderately in shape 38 year old I wasn't sure what I was getting myself in to. It was difficult and I noticed I had to pump those pedals like hell in order to keep up with literally anyone else but it was still a lot of fun and I managed to finish after 5 hours. I'd do it again but Im curious how I would do on a road bike. If they weren't several hundred dollars I would get one. In the meantime I'll be content putting around on my comfort bike and enjoying the scenery.
Old 04-17-19, 04:07 AM
SlinkyWizard

Bikes: 2016 Trek DS 8.5, Giant Fastroad Comax 1 2018

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Congratulations on your century !! I gotta bust one out soon, to at least say I've done one.
Old 04-17-19, 06:21 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
In Googling some of these bikes out of curiosity, noticed a sizing reference I'm not familiar with. The usual S, M, L, and J? What does the "J" signify?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.