Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How much speed can I buy?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-07-19, 04:01 PM
DeathCurse7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Alright so I am wondering how much faster I could get if I get some actual decent cycling gear. Currently I have an aluminum entry level bike (trek 1.2), alloy wheels, not the best fitting clothing, a non aero helmet, and a kinda old drive train. So if I got the top of the line equipment (carbon fiber rim, aero helmet, etc) how much faster do y'all think I can get. I am curious since I a have a hard time staying with some people even though I train more than them and also I can't descend that fast.
Old 12-07-19, 04:04 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathCurse7
Alright so I am wondering how much faster I could get if I get some actual decent cycling gear. Currently I have an aluminum entry level bike (trek 1.2), alloy wheels, not the best fitting clothing, a non aero helmet, and a kinda old drive train. So if I got the top of the line equipment (carbon fiber rim, aero helmet, etc) how much faster do y'all think I can get. I am curious since I a have a hard time staying with some people even though I train more than them and also I can't descend that fast.
1.5 - 2 mph.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 12-07-19, 04:06 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Aero gains are marginal gains, just like cutting weight. I'd guess you could add 3mph max by buying it. The motor matters the most.
Buying 'speed' will definitely help the motor, though the legality is questionable.
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 12-07-19, 04:16 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Are e-motors out of scope?
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 12-07-19, 04:18 PM
DeathCurse7

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Are e-motors out of scope?
Yes 😂
Old 12-07-19, 04:27 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22516 Post(s)
Liked 8,845 Times in 4,115 Posts
Very little TBH.
Likes For datlas:
Old 12-07-19, 04:33 PM
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 143 Posts
Structured training will make you faster! Ride with people that are faster than you.
Old 12-07-19, 05:06 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Not a whole lot. But there are 50 mph eBikes if you really want to but speed.
Old 12-07-19, 05:20 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Good tires and tight fitting clothing will make a noticeable difference.

I also registered gains from deeper rims, and even from helmet upgrade,

but sadly, a recent bout of slacking has cost me all that speed, and more...
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 12-07-19, 05:33 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1570 Post(s)
Liked 1,164 Times in 592 Posts
To answer your thread's title question: for all practical/legal/ethical purposes? None.
Caveat: as others have mentioned, e-bikes, PEDs, and so on will certainly make a noticeable difference. If it matters that much, go one of those routes.
Old 12-07-19, 05:37 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
To answer your thread's title question: for all practical/legal/ethical purposes? None.
Not a big fan of science are you?
Likes For asgelle:
Old 12-07-19, 05:53 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
1.5 - 2 mph.
That's a little optimistic, but I guess it depends on how low the starting point is, and how much he wants to spend.
Old 12-07-19, 05:57 PM
jbasirico
Mitochondriac

Bikes: Fezzari Empire SL, BMC Roadmachine 03

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
The process of trying out all the aero and equipment enhancements, aka exercise, may also result in speed increases that could be conflated with the results of said purchases. However, if it gets you on the bike, then it's worth it (at least in my mind when compared to the alternative).
Old 12-07-19, 06:04 PM
DeathCurse7

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
By the way I'm just 17 and I don't want to dope/get an ebike. I was just curious about how much more effort I was Putting in compared to everyone else in group rides and if its fair to compare myself to people with really good equipment. Hopefully in the future if I get some more money so I can make a couple of upgrades.
Old 12-07-19, 06:10 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
By the way I'm just 17 and I don't want to dope/get an ebike. I was just curious about how much more effort I was Putting in compared to everyone else in group rides and if its fair to compare myself to people with really good equipment. Hopefully in the future if I get some more money so I can make a couple of upgrades.
Make sure the equipment is tuned properly, and make sure your clothing isn't flapping in the wind. It won't cost much to do that.

Maybe some good training tires would help. Before I went to fat tubeless tires, Michelin Pro4 Endurance(25mm wide) worked well. They don't cost much, the ride is nice, and they are quite durable.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 12-07-19, 06:23 PM
Athens80

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
A couple of older presentations on buying speed

From Velonews and Cyclingtips:
And from the Specialized Win Tunnel YouTube channel:
Old 12-07-19, 06:33 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
New wheels, carbon fiber frame, and the latest and greatest drive train will buy you close to zero more speed. It would gain some proportional to the fraction of weight saved and grade of incline, on the steeper hills (maybe a tenth or two mph overall). Some people put a lot of stock in "stiffer" giving better "power transfer" and while we lose some power with a noodly feeling bike, it's usually overblown IMO. Not counting flexing the brakes to the rim, it surely isn't more than a fraction of a percent of power lost in flex, which comes to even less of a fraction of speed.

Racing tires & tubes, aero equipment and freer bearings is where the speed gains are. Body position. How much depends on how you're riding that Trek.
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 12-07-19, 06:40 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Briefly said, it's all in the motor. Try looking through the training and nutrition threads for ideas, and try a couple of free workouts from GCN (if you already have a trainer or rollers).
Old 12-07-19, 07:07 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
How long have you been riding?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 12-07-19, 07:18 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 682 Posts
How fast are you going now? and what are the conditions? up hill, down hill? flat and level? i have the exact same bike you have and have been riding it for about 12ish years, my helmet is crappy but i do have decent fitting bike shorts and shirts. i have no intention of upgrading (although i would like to). i have gotten faster by riding more. i climb more and have descended at 50 mph.
Old 12-07-19, 07:20 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by Athens80
From Velonews and Cyclingtips:
Those all seem additive? Therefore about 9 minutes overall could be gained over the 40km distance?
I wish though that the chart had the effect of tuck but without aerobars.
Old 12-07-19, 07:24 PM
DeathCurse7

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
How long have you been riding?
I have been riding for about a year my strava is "Rayan Jamshidian" i cant post URLs sorry I have been using strava to track my rides for a couple of months.
Old 12-07-19, 07:28 PM
DeathCurse7

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
How fast are you going now? and what are the conditions? up hill, down hill? flat and level? i have the exact same bike you have and have been riding it for about 12ish years, my helmet is crappy but i do have decent fitting bike shorts and shirts. i have no intention of upgrading (although i would like to). i have gotten faster by riding more. i climb more and have descended at 50 mph.
I have descended only up to 38 mph mostly because im scared lol but you can see my rides on strava "Rayan Jamshidian" is my username there.
Old 12-07-19, 07:30 PM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
You'd have better luck adding an intake, header and exhaust.

Last edited by Princess_Allez; 12-09-19 at 10:01 PM.
Likes For Princess_Allez:
Old 12-07-19, 07:30 PM
DeathCurse7

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
Briefly said, it's all in the motor. Try looking through the training and nutrition threads for ideas, and try a couple of free workouts from GCN (if you already have a trainer or rollers).
I already do train and take care of nutrition haha and i have a nice schedule but thanks for the advice

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.