Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Problem Putting Tubeless On

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-20, 06:32 PM
Freerunner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Need some advice. Converting my wife's tube to tubeless (Niner). I know that the wheels are designed for it. I bought 2 new tires, same size as old ones but are for tubeless. Have the new valve kit and the sealant. Directions say I'll need 3-4 oz of sealant. Big problem trying to put new tire on. Am using soapy water but the bead is so tight, even the Park tool tire wrench couldn't put the last of the bead over the rim. I ended up using a screwdriver (I know you shouldn't, but I needed the leverage). Now I find out my pump is not strong enough to pop the beads in place. However I did notice that there was some soapy water coming through where the spokes screw into the wheel. Is that normal for a first time? Does the sealant take care of that? I've also watched several videos, but none explain what to do when I encounter the problems I've run into. Any advice is welcomed. Thanks
Old 05-08-20, 08:06 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3231 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
My experience was painful as yours. What I finally noticed is tubeless rims (at least my 3 pair) have a ledge, I.E. a raised platform on the floor of the rim, next to the rim sidewall that’s used to help the bead seat. If the bead is sitting on top of this ledge while you try to get the tire onto the rim, it’s near impossible. What you need to do is make sure the bead is sitting in the center channel of the rim, that allows the tire to be installed.

As to the soapy water at the spoke nipples sounds like a poor install of the rim tape, which needs to be designed for tubeless rims and of the proper size, else you’ll get air leaks at the nipples.

Have never needed it, but have read of needing an air compressor to get the bead to seat. I managed with my floor pump.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 05-08-20, 09:09 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Which tire and rims are you matching? Not all work well together, especially the older tube less time
Old 05-08-20, 09:20 PM
Freerunner

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
My experience was painful as yours. What I finally noticed is tubeless rims (at least my 3 pair) have a ledge, I.E. a raised platform on the floor of the rim, next to the rim sidewall that’s used to help the bead seat. If the bead is sitting on top of this ledge while you try to get the tire onto the rim, it’s near impossible. What you need to do is make sure the bead is sitting in the center channel of the rim, that allows the tire to be installed.

As to the soapy water at the spoke nipples sounds like a poor install of the rim tape, which needs to be designed for tubeless rims and of the proper size, else you’ll get air leaks at the nipples.

Have never needed it, but have read of needing an air compressor to get the bead to seat. I managed with my floor pump.
Thanks for the specifics. Yep sounds like I didn't (I know I didn't) have the tire in the center. Now I have to take it off and double check that I installed the valve stem correctly. Oh well, live and learn.

I'm pretty confident that the tires and rims will work, since the owner of the LBS where I bought the bike sold them to me (and he's someone I've dealt with for years and trust).
Old 05-08-20, 10:16 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
I run tubeless sealant in tubes. It saves a mess when you need to change the tire.
Old 05-09-20, 06:38 AM
Freerunner

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by qclabrat
Which tire and rims are you matching? Not all work well together, especially the older tube less time
OK, now I'm wondering if they are the right match. The rims are Black Flag XC (29 inch) and have a sticker notubes.com on them. The tires are Terravail EHLINE. The size of the new tires are 29 x 2.3 and the size of the old tires are 29.25. Currently the bead of the new tire is so tight in the middle of the rim, that I cannot get any type of tire tool under them, to try to remove it to replace the rim tape (I tore it using the screwdriver).
Old 05-09-20, 09:14 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by Freerunner
OK, now I'm wondering if they are the right match. The rims are Black Flag XC (29 inch) and have a sticker notubes.com on them. The tires are Terravail EHLINE. The size of the new tires are 29 x 2.3 and the size of the old tires are 29.25. Currently the bead of the new tire is so tight in the middle of the rim, that I cannot get any type of tire tool under them, to try to remove it to replace the rim tape (I tore it using the screwdriver).
Maybe a question for the shop, but if that’s not an option, they make different tools specifically for installing difficult tires

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CW912J0...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

***** is, this is great for the shop but can you remove and get it reseated in the woods if needed.
Old 05-09-20, 09:25 AM
Freerunner

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Maybe a question for the shop, but if that’s not an option, they make different tools specifically for installing difficult tires

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CW912J0...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

***** is, this is great for the shop but can you remove and get it reseated in the woods if needed.
Wow! Thanks. I never knew these existed. Have you ever used any of these?
Old 05-09-20, 10:37 AM
Steve B.

Wow! Thanks. I never knew these existed. Have you ever used any of these?
Not used the tire seat tool, but as I need to order sealant, will likely buy a pair, as I’m slowly migrating to tubeless,
Old 05-09-20, 12:28 PM
SilverRubicon

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
However I did notice that there was some soapy water coming through where the spokes screw into the wheel. Is that normal for a first time? Does the sealant take care of that?
Did you apply rim tape for tubeless tires?
Old 05-09-20, 12:33 PM
Freerunner

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverRubicon
Did you apply rim tape for tubeless tires?
Yes
Old 05-09-20, 01:00 PM
SilverRubicon

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Yes
If the sealant is leaking out of the spoke holes then the tape has not been installed properly or is not adhering as it should. While many rims are tubeless ready, few come set up with tubeless tape. I'd redo that before attempting to mount the tire again.
Likes For SilverRubicon:
Old 05-09-20, 02:01 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Sounds like you need to re-do the taping job. Sealant coming through the spokes pretty much guaranties this is going to not hold air for long.

Regarding how tight the tires are: Is the tape fully seated (and sticking) into the center channel of the rim? The purpose of that channel is the allow the tire bead to drop down into to give you some slack while trying to get the last bit of the bead of the tire over the rim. It can be a PITA to stretch the tape tight enough to get it to go all the way down into the channel. If it is not fully down in the channel, then the tire bead can't go down into that channel, and the tire will be a lot harder to mount.

Another question is how wide is the tape and what is the internal width of the rim?
Old 05-09-20, 04:00 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
I've found that first mounting the tires with tubes can help. Then break the bead on one side only, pull out the tube and install the tubeless valve. It takes less air volume to seat just one side of the tire. I've always been able to do it with a regular pump. I take out the valve core before pumping. It has to come out anyway to add the sealant and I think you can get more air flow. Good luck!
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-09-20, 07:35 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
After you do the tape job, mounting with a tube, pumping it up to the max listed pressure, and then leaving it overnight is a good way to get the tape firmly set.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 05-10-20, 01:28 AM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
Steve B. 's advice is very good--you need to push the beads to the center, this gives you some play. When doing this, I can get most tires on with thumbs or fingers only--sometimes finishing off just a little bit with a Pedro's lever. I use a compressor for all my installs now--once I found out how easily and fast it makes beads seat. Final thoughts, don't pour in the sealant until you have almost all of the bead on, and I've never needed soapy water except on a road bike's tubeless set up.
Old 05-11-20, 01:50 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
+1 on the rim tape trouble shooting.

For stubborn bead seating issues do the following:
1. remove the tubeless inflator valve
2. install inner tube
3. pump inner tube full until bead seats (usually with audible POP)
4. break ONE bead/side (not BOTH) and remove tube
5. replace valve
6. Re-inflate until open bead seats, then set pressure

Additional steps if that doesn't work
7. If you can't get the bead to seat up properly, remove the valve stem core (small wrench, special tool, or I've used a spoke tool)
8. Place the schrader inflator chuck DIRECTLY on the now-open presta stem
9. Inflate until bead seats. You'll have to replace the inner core for it to hold air obviously but this helps get a little better rush of air inside to seat up.

Another consideration - sometimes tires are folded up and not really that round yet when you get them. Put a tube in there and ride around on them for a few days, that will get them used to their round shape and will make the sealing up with the rim easier. Then start with step 4. above to complete tubeless conversion.

You can do this!
Old 05-17-20, 08:52 PM
Freerunner

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
All, OP here. Thanks for all of the advice. I have since found out that these tires are some of the most difficult ones to apply. I have exchanged the tires for some Continental and was able to put them on much easier. Now it's time to go out and ride! Thanks
Likes For Freerunner: