Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Powermeter for multiple bikes?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 05-17-20, 01:40 AM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts

I'm considering getting one and want to know if there's a brand/model that I can easily switch between two bikes (road and mtb). I know some are hub-based, crank arms, and others are pedals--not sure if there's anything else out there. I have Looks on the road bike and SPDs on the mtb, so pedals won't work and aren't a fast swap anyway. Maybe I'll have to buy two crank arms...
Old 05-17-20, 08:42 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Yeah, unfortunately there's not currently a good option for this. There have been a couple of attempts to build power meters into shoes in the past, but those didn't really go anywhere. If you haven't seen it already, this is a good overview of the market. There is a company that's got an SPD-based power-meter pedal in the works, which I believe is a first.

I think the problem is that the power meter needs to be calibrated very precisely to the component it is on/in, so moving the power-meter mechanism around just isn't in the cards.
Old 05-17-20, 11:16 AM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by adamrice
Yeah, unfortunately there's not currently a good option for this. There have been a couple of attempts to build power meters into shoes in the past, but those didn't really go anywhere. If you haven't seen it already, this is a good overview of the market. There is a company that's got an SPD-based power-meter pedal in the works, which I believe is a first.

I think the problem is that the power meter needs to be calibrated very precisely to the component it is on/in, so moving the power-meter mechanism around just isn't in the cards.
Hey, Adam--thanks! Good info. Another issue--the mtb is a 2013 and it's a fine bike but I'm due for a new one (I just keep replacing drivetrain components), so investing in something that may only end up fitting it is probably not good. The road bike has 6800 Ultegra 11 spd, so not it's that old. If it came down to it, I'd probably just get a PM for the road bike as that's what goes on my trainer and what I do most structured intervals on, even though XC mtb racing is what I do.
Old 05-17-20, 11:33 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Most people consider power meters a road only thing. Even though part of the way you train with one means using a PM to capture the stress from all the riding you do.

I bought a pedal based power meter because it's literally compatible with every bike there is. I ride a Cervelo which uses BBRight and that means if I got a crank based PM, selling the bike and keeping the meter was out. Mine has been on 3 bikes I've owned since getting it, the first had caliper brakes, the next two disc, that ruled the hub out. To be honest Keo cleats aren't ideal even on gravel, I'd have to really want power data bad to ever try this on an MTB.

Power2Max has some good options.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-17-20, 04:06 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Read up on the Powerpod on DC's site. That is about the only option that is easy to swap and cheap but last time I looked into it it wasn't great for MTBing.

That would be the other option but it will cost you
Likes For Canker:
Old 05-18-20, 11:03 PM
Howard70

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Hello Bikeme:

I just received a set of SRM X-Power pedals specifically designed for mountain bikes. I literally only have one short ride with them, but so far I really like the design and quality. Charging is easy, installing and connecting straight forward. On the ride today I had them simultaneously feeding data to Ride With GPS, a Lezyne Super GPS and a Fenix 5 Plus Garmin watch. All seemed to record the data fine and the Lezyne displayed it during the ride (that's the only unit I have mounted in a visible location during rides). I wanted an SPD compatible pedal system for ease of switching between bikes and an indoor trainer and because on many of my longer rides I incorporate long hike-a-bike sections so I need shoes with cleats that can be walked in for long distances.

These pedals are in limited supply but I purchased mike through SRM USA.

Howard Snell
Likes For Howard70: