Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Do you take a lock on your ride?

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Old 07-01-20, 09:34 PM
Alphabet

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Finest 2.3 - 2022 Domane AL 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

I usually only stop occasionally for a bathroom break and take the bike in the stall but now Idk if my usual bathroom is even open. I’m starting to take longer rides and was wondering what you guys do.
Old 07-02-20, 04:47 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
usually. i've got the medium-sized ottolock and frequently run that around the frame + the helmet through the spokes of either tire simultaneously
even if i think i'm not going to use the restroom/maintain direct visual contact with the bike 100% of the time parked. you just never know.

had an opportunistic thief try to abscond with my '85 pinarello treviso about 7 months ago while outside a tasting room where i was enjoying a beer. i was on him in 4 seconds
and simply asked "would you like the lock combination? it'll be easier that way." he cursed me out and medium-speed, shuffled away down the street.
didn't seem like a pro...more like a crackhead but when your bike gets stolen, it doesn't matter.

if you can swing it, it's always better to take it, and use it. you never know when you'll be distracted just long enough. attractive/flirty person. payment/tech issues paying the bill,
engrossed in the latest kuwtk drama on your phone, conversation with a nearby patron, mapping out the closest bike store to borrow the shop pump, textarguing with the significant other,
putting in a (potentially winning) bid on a possible n + 1 in the closing seconds of an auction...etc.

Last edited by diphthong; 07-02-20 at 04:57 AM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 07-02-20, 06:50 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 535 Posts
No, I'm never really in a situation where my bike is left alone. My rides are pretty structured and the chance of me not being more than 10 feet away from it let alone out of site.... just really isn't happening with me right now. If there happened to be an emergency where I needed to access a bathroom and my bike wouldn't fit I would remove the quick releases and open the brakes and make it virtually unable to move without some work.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 07-02-20, 07:14 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Never.

2 things to help prevent getting stolen. 1) Remove your helmet and loop the straps thru the front wheel and frame and buckle it together. A thief has to remove the helmet for the bike to roll anywhere. 2) As you are about to stop, shift to big ring and smallest cog. That makes it hard for a thief to get up to speed as they hop on and try to roll away.

I only leave the bike to go into a convenience store for a drink and it’s never out of sight.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 07-02-20, 01:15 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 317 Posts
No. The only place I stop to pee, I take my bike in the door.
Likes For Joe Bikerider:
Old 07-02-20, 04:32 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
No. The only place I stop to pee, I take my bike in the door.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ditto

The CCPlague has made it hard to predict which parks pee stops will be open though.
Old 07-02-20, 05:26 PM
Alphabet

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Finest 2.3 - 2022 Domane AL 5

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
usually. i've got the medium-sized ottolock and frequently run that around the frame + the helmet through the spokes of either tire simultaneously
even if i think i'm not going to use the restroom/maintain direct visual contact with the bike 100% of the time parked. you just never know.

had an opportunistic thief try to abscond with my '85 pinarello treviso about 7 months ago while outside a tasting room where i was enjoying a beer. i was on him in 4 seconds
and simply asked "would you like the lock combination? it'll be easier that way." he cursed me out and medium-speed, shuffled away down the street.
didn't seem like a pro...more like a crackhead but when your bike gets stolen, it doesn't matter.

if you can swing it, it's always better to take it, and use it. you never know when you'll be distracted just long enough. attractive/flirty person. payment/tech issues paying the bill,
engrossed in the latest kuwtk drama on your phone, conversation with a nearby patron, mapping out the closest bike store to borrow the shop pump, textarguing with the significant other,
putting in a (potentially winning) bid on a possible n + 1 in the closing seconds of an auction...etc.
Lol at the distractions. Glad you stopped him, he was mesmerized by it's beauty.
Old 07-02-20, 06:00 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Not always, but trying to get better at it. No excuse not too as I can easily and securely loop the cable on the back rack or put it in the back rack luggage box. Bike is really not worth stealing except by unknowledgeable opportunists... meaning most of Atlanta inhabitants....
Old 09-12-20, 02:19 AM
giffenf

Bikes: Specialized Aethos Pro, Donnelly G//C, Trek Fuel EX 9.8, Medici Pro Strada, Centurion Super LeMans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1,221 Times in 296 Posts
On longer rides, I carry a drawstring backpack for snacks and a little tire pump, and I have a couple of those zip-tie kind of cable locks I bring with me in there. They’re no match for someone with a pair of bolt cutters, but if I stop at a liquor or convenience store to refill my water bottles, it keeps it from being too easy to walk off with my Tarmac. I also do the big chainring/smallest cog trick like Steve B suggested, to slow down a potential thief a little more. I try to put it where I can see it if I have to wait in line to check out. A friend of mine only stops for fluids at supermarkets, and he just takes his bike in with him, never thought of that. If I need to pee, I look for public parks, construction site porta-potties, or if I’m in Ventura County, farmland porta-potties (usually on trailers for use by the farm workers). I rode up to Ventura a couple weeks ago and as it happened, the route I took was devoid of any kind of facilities. I was starting to wonder if I’d make it to the nearest park when I looked up as I was riding by the Buenaventura shopping center and saw they were setting up for some kind of event, and there, as if by magic, were two porta-potties they’d just set up. I climbed the dirt embankment up from Main St., stuck my bike between the two units, and found blessed relief. By the time the workers saw me, I was riding away with a smile on my face.

Thankfully, I’ve never had a near-theft or actual-theft experience. I hope my luck continues to hold.
Old 09-12-20, 02:41 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

don't be a victim. i know it's a pita to employ a lock, helmet straps through front wheel/downtube and/or shift into impossible gear/loosen wheel skewers
but we live in interesting times. you never know when some bro walks out of a pub and sez to his buddy on a drunken dare that he's gonna throw your
pretty bike into the back of his buddy's truck just because his life sux.
Old 09-12-20, 02:47 AM
diphthong

Originally Posted by Alphabet
Lol at the distractions. Glad you stopped him, he was mesmerized by it's beauty.
doubtful. opportunistic thief. that's it. bike coulda been spray-painted a neon matte hodgepodge. dude just needed to score before he could score.
Old 09-12-20, 02:52 AM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
Decades ago, when I was doing centuries (and ate sugar and lots of carbs then), I'd stop and wheel my bike in to make my purchase. This was in Japan and seven eleven type stores. My favorite was Wagashi (azuki bean confections) and rice balls with sweet mayo tuna in the center - or ume.
Old 09-12-20, 06:15 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
On ride where I know i'll be out of sight of my bike, I bring a Abus cable lock. It's about the size of a deck of cards.

It won't stop a determined thief but it will keep honest people... honest.

Old 09-12-20, 07:24 AM
BHG6

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 73 Posts
Nope. I rarely stop when I ride with the rare exception of a bathroom break and that's usually behind a cactus in the middle of nowhere lol.
Old 09-12-20, 07:36 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1748 Post(s)
Liked 1,421 Times in 972 Posts
Yep, always. Its just a simple lock and cable to prevent opportunistic theft, 'keep the honest people honest', doesn't weigh all that much. If a pro thief wants my bicycle he/she is going to get it regardless of the locking mechanism I use.
Old 09-12-20, 07:48 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
No locks for me. Ever since I had my Schwinn Varsity stolen circa 1980, my bikes go in the restroom with me. Otherwise, I do not stop anywhere unless in a group for outdoor dining like the Grizley Cafe in Wrightwood. I plan routes that include verified outdoor water refill sites. I self-support even for longer rides and have no need for stores. Just how I roll. I cannot afford to replace a $2,000 bike.
Old 10-03-20, 02:16 PM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Have you seen the plastic loop-type bike locks? That would be the best solution when out riding and you need to pop into a store or take a bathroom break.
Old 10-05-20, 07:29 AM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Not if I am doing a recreational road ride. I sometimes run errands and when I do I lake a backpack with a hefty cable lock in it.
Old 10-06-20, 03:19 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
I recently picked up an ottolock hexaband, which is a bit heavier than the original but not too bad. It's basically a keep honest people honest type thing but it's a little clunky to carry in a jersey pocket - where do you stash yours?
Old 10-06-20, 08:15 PM
diphthong

i have the medium size ottolock. it was about $60. been using it for two years now. it can lock two bikes to a medium-sized pole such as your usual street sign pole. posted pics on a sheet of 8.5 x 11 paper for perspective. one pic showing maximum expansion of locking capacity.

been happy with the lock but haven’t employed it for more than two minutes unattended/out of sight lines. as you say, more of a keeping people honest lock. i usually fit it in a jersey pocket but if pressed, i can wrap and tighten it around the saddlebag. rattles a little bit tho.
Old 10-06-20, 08:19 PM
MntnMan62

Bikes: Road - Motobecane Sprintour / Mountain - Schwinn Mesa GSX

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 45 Posts
I don't normally take a lock with me on my rides. I ride on the road mostly and don't use anything other than a small bag that sits under the saddle. A lock and cable would add some weight for sure and I'd have to figure out where to put it. If I were mountain biking I'd easily just put it in my back pack that houses my "stuff" and water bladder.
Old 10-15-20, 02:23 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 153 Posts
Only occasionally. My errand bike/dog taxi has a Dutch AXA frame lock. Kinda like a car's ignition key: insert key--rolls. Remove key--stops.

Someone can still easily pick up my beloved dog taxi and throw it in the back of a pickup, but the only time I'm ever far from my bikes are when I'm riding one of the other ones. My other bikes are protected only by a bloodthirsty psychopath with two strikes (so far) and nothing left to lose.

And to answer your specific hypothetical, I never completely finish when taking a restroom break. I always save an eager residual for the unconscious thief who tried. You know those survivalism enthusiasts who can't wait for the worst to happen? That's how I am about my bikes being stolen.

Last edited by calamarichris; 10-15-20 at 02:39 AM.
Old 10-22-20, 08:53 PM
retyred

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
Oops, I misread the Thread title. I saw it as Glock, not lock. I do carry one of them....
Old 10-24-20, 07:54 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
On ride where I know i'll be out of sight of my bike, I bring a Abus cable lock. It's about the size of a deck of cards.

It won't stop a determined thief but it will keep honest people... honest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpSIJ4Z1qc8
I use one like that too. Maybe even smaller.
It's just strong enough that normal scissors would not be able to cut the cable, but gardening shears probably could.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.