Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Peugeot and Lejeune ad copy from the 70's

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 08-02-20, 03:23 AM
barnfind

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 31 Posts

I found these in a recent cleanout, I scanned them for someone so I figured I'd post them here as well.

The Peugeot and Lejeune pages are printed back to back on the same sheet of heavy paper. A second sheet appears to be ad copy for the Motobecane Grand Touring model, which lists Suntour VGT Luxe derailleur, Rigida rims, Michelin Elan tires, and Tourney crankset on a Vitus tubing frame. This may help put a date on this information.

The first year I see the Suntour VGT in the catalogs I found is 1974, with a small brochure dated 1973 listing it as well, the first year for Michelin Elan tires looks to be 1975, but I don't have a catalog showing Michelin for 1974. The Motobecane Grand Touring ran from around 1972 to 1981 or so, The earliest I see the model with Suntour is 1973.
There were some other similar envelopes post marked 12-11-1974 in the same folder. The Michelin Elan tires seems to date this info no earlier than the 1975 model year by what I can see at a quick glance.

There is no mention as to the wholesaler or supplier in any info, but its all printed on the same paper, in the same packet. Likely all three brands were being supplied by the same source back then.

Likes For barnfind:
Old 08-02-20, 04:38 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Thanks for posting. It can be hard finding ads for old bikes.
Old 08-03-20, 12:00 AM
barnfind

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 31 Posts
I found it odd that they only chose to issue ads for one Motobecane model, but all of the Lejeune and Peugeot models.
Also, they all came from the same source, since they're all printed on the same paper. The two Motobecane ads are side by side on the same page,
the other two are back to back. The rest of the reverse side of the Motobecane sheet is full of various sized logos, and ad slogans saying
"Built the French Way! " in 20 different size text blocks and in about French, English, Spanish German, and Dutch.
The rest is type set info and layout measurements for the newspaper or magazine I suppose.